New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AS is not likely to allow a cross-country routing. Personally, I'd spring for the positioning flight SFO-SAN if it came down to it- 5+ hours in AS F rather than a little over an hour in OAL Y is a no-brainer IMO, even if you're paying for a cheap WN/VX ticket.
That is what I figured but I wanted to check. Unfortunately this will more then likely be a last minute return so I am trying to get my head around best available options. I am hoping that on that day HKG-LAX is open and I can just take the train home. Thanks you ^
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Madone59
If I wanted to fly HKG-SAN on CX would AS allow HKG-BOS-SAN or would I be forced to use a Western gateway (LAX/SFO/YVR) to avoid back tracking?
Technically is not allowed doesn't mean you cant get lotto lucky and get it booked. My view when looking at routings is to avoid legs on domestic flights and if you have to pick the shortest domestic leg.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Looking for expert help.

Want to go from any gateway city to NRT (or HND, Sapparro, or Taipei) on CX in late January/early February in J or F.

Haven't redeemed for CX in 3+ years so out of the loop.

Is BA still best to search. Am I already late to the party (would be for 2).

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by apodo77
Looking for expert help.

Want to go from any gateway city to NRT (or HND, Sapparro, or Taipei) on CX in late January/early February in J or F.

Use BA or JL...
Old Jul 10, 2015, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Looking for expert help.

BA is quick and easy, but can return phantom availability. Cross-check with JL once you find something on BA.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Thanks to both of y'all!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Thanks to both of y'all!
Plus also search segment by segment. The #1 cause of phantom is where BA will show 1 seat available on both legs when only 1 leg has space.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Although keep in mind that [sometimes] CX gives different availability to BA and AS [1 and 0, 2 and 1...].

Last edited by jms_uk; Jul 11, 2015 at 4:41 pm
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Although keep in mind that CX gives different availability to BA and AS [1 and 0, 2 and 1...].
My experience doesn't agree with this. I've booked into CX F/J multiple times using AS miles with BA showing one seat available... how many AS bookings on CX have you made?
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
My experience doesn't agree with this. I've booked into CX F/J multiple times using AS miles with BA showing one seat available... how many AS bookings on CX have you made?
Not many, maybe 3 in last 4-5 months. But over the same time period, I've often came across a situation when ba.com would show one seat, but AS couldn't see it at all. Mainly in F, once in J as well.

I've edited my post to reflect that this might happen sometimes...

As it was said upthread, check on JL.com as well. Whenever this happened to me, BA was showing availability and JL wasn't.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Not many, maybe 3 in last 4-5 months. But over the same time period, I've often came across a situation when ba.com would show one seat, but AS couldn't see it at all. Mainly in F, once in J as well.

As it was said upthread, check on JL.com as well. Whenever this happened to me, BA was showing availability and JL wasn't.
There is a delay in space showing up for AS if its newly released (and BA shows it). But based on my sample set, it shows up typically within 12-24 hours.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds good.

FWIW, just booked CX F on AS with BA showing F award availability = 1. It now shows 0.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I'm trying to book JFK-YVR (stopover) - HKG-BKK. I have called into the call center 3+ times and the representative can never seen the inventory that I see from ba.com and jal.com

Does anyone have any tips for this particular segment? On one call the representative thought there was a special rule for the CX JFK-YVR sector that did not allow bookings with Alaska miles.

If I cannot get the JFK-YVR-HKG-BKK routing, does anyone know if I can do FLL-SEA-SFO (stopover) - HKG - BKK? The first 2 segments would be on AS. If it's booked as a CX J award, (50k miles ow), would I be able to book the AS segments in First (2 cabin plane)?

Thanks, this thread has been super helpful.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by MattFS218
If I cannot get the JFK-YVR-HKG-BKK routing, does anyone know if I can do FLL-SEA-SFO (stopover) - HKG - BKK? The first 2 segments would be on AS. If it's booked as a CX J award, (50k miles ow), would I be able to book the AS segments in First (2 cabin plane)?
Yes you should be able to do FLL-SEA-SFO/SFO-HKG-BKK, and you can book the AS to F if the saver award is available.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone have any tips for this particular segment? On one call the representative thought there was a special rule for the CX JFK-YVR sector that did not allow bookings with Alaska miles.
Nope, I've booked JFK-YVR by itself.

Tell your rep they should read the AS website...

The problem is I've not been able to get a CX stopover anywhere other than HKG. I've gotten an AS stopover, though.

You are feeding them segment by segment, right? How about if you just feed YVR-HKG-BKK? Does that work?

If it's booked as a CX J award, (50k miles ow), would I be able to book the AS segments in First (2 cabin plane)?
The odds of you getting FLL-SEA in AS F on award are not particularly good. AS transcon award F availability is like finding a needle in about a million haystacks (Y transcon availability isn't great, but it's better than F). SEA-SFO F availability would be a lot easier.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 4, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.