Go Back   > > >
    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 13, 17, 2:20 pm   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: CX (Cathay) Award availability - F & J
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: imverge
Wiki Link
Cathay Pacific Award Availability
when using Alaska Airlines Miles

North American CX Gateway Cities

New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Quote:
Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL)
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH)
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 11, 17, 12:27 pm   #1726

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufflesinc View Post
I would try calling back a few more times. If still no dice with as , but ba and jal still show another F, I would just book with aa if I had the miles there. Average still comes out ok if not going to australia.
Thanks. (These award tickets also include an initial leg from MLE-HKG, so I'm sticking with Alaska to keep that stopover and the great pricing.) I am going to keep calling every three hours or so as long as the 2 F seats still show up on BA's website. I'll report back if both seats end up becoming visible to Alaska.

Last edited by kboone6783; Jan 11, 17 at 12:50 pm
kboone6783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 17, 1:01 pm   #1727

Usually when you add on a leg does the class of service (F) become available so you can book it? e.g. USA-HKG F initially, rebook to USA-HKG(F)-ASIA(F/J/Y). Or is there a significantly high chance the F seat will disappear upon rebooking?
nas6034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 17, 1:09 pm   #1728
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas6034 View Post
Usually when you add on a leg does the class of service (F) become available so you can book it? e.g. USA-HKG F initially, rebook to USA-HKG(F)-ASIA(F/J/Y). Or is there a significantly high chance the F seat will disappear upon rebooking?
There is no seat to appear/disappear; the agent is reissuing your ticket by trading in the existing ticket and adding a leg to your existing reservation (all changes like this are a reissue with a new ticket number). Unless they screw up bigtime nothing "disappears", a new ticket is issued with the new flights added. I've done this plenty of times on AS (the same process applies on ALL AS award tickets, not just CX) and not once has there been a "whoops, your original flight's gone away".
eponymous_coward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 17, 2:53 pm   #1729

Quote:
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
There is no seat to appear/disappear; the agent is reissuing your ticket by trading in the existing ticket and adding a leg to your existing reservation (all changes like this are a reissue with a new ticket number). Unless they screw up bigtime nothing "disappears", a new ticket is issued with the new flights added. I've done this plenty of times on AS (the same process applies on ALL AS award tickets, not just CX) and not once has there been a "whoops, your original flight's gone away".
That's good to hear. Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 17, 11:34 pm   #1730

..deleted..
Guvner067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 17, 11:35 pm   #1731

..deleted..
Guvner067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 17, 8:59 am   #1732

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IC Plat Amb
Alaska award stopover rules between North America and South Africa

Hi,
I have a trip to SE Asia and booked CX F award ticket using Alaska miles:

YVR-HKG-BKK (stopover)-SIN

Since, North America to Asia and North America to South Africa is the same number of miles using CX F award, I decided to see how far I can push award rules. I know that a stopover in BKK is allowed on North America-Asia award. But is it allowed on North America-South Africa award?

i called Alaska and tried to modify my award to

YVR-HKG-BKK (stopover)-HKG-JNB

The Alaska agent was super helpful and was willing to see if we can price this out, but the system was giving her an error. She supposedly checked routing rules and said that a stopover on North America-South Africa award is only allowed in HKG.

Is that correct? I know that some backtracking has been allowed on awards before, but I'm can't find any info supporting or opposing this.

Thanks.
BigRedBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 17, 9:20 am   #1733
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
The agent is correct in that the rules only allow HKG stopovers. Read the wiki in the CX award thread.

CX (Cathay) Award availability - F & J
eponymous_coward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 17, 10:00 am   #1734
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG | ExUA 1K | TK Elite | Milepoint Gold | Greyhound RR
In general unless there is some sort of error, you can only transit the hub once. Also you can only stop-over in the hub or the international gateway. Although with CX there seems to be a rule that doesn't even allow stop-over in the international gateway but sometimes you can get an agent to get a stop-over in say LAX on the way to HKG. Every once in a while a stop-over in another city might get pushed through if its part of a published routing (for instance CX's TPE mini-hub on teh way to japan).

Another thing we have learned from from Missy at AS is that just because something does get booked does not mean its allowed (usually a good idea to kep those kind of things quiet if they work). That was told to us when someone was able to fly West coast - ORD-HKG when west coast CX must leave from a west coast CX city, no backtracking (although BOS-SEA-LAX-HKG works fine for those starting on east coast)

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 12, 17 at 10:14 am
CDKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 17, 5:02 pm   #1735
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, AS MVPG75, AZ FA+, AA EXP, QR Silver, Fairmont Plat, Marriott Gold,Carlson Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBears View Post
The Alaska agent was super helpful and was willing to see if we can price this out, but the system was giving her an error. She supposedly checked routing rules and said that a stopover on North America-South Africa award is only allowed in HKG.

Is that correct? I know that some backtracking has been allowed on awards before, but I'm can't find any info supporting or opposing this.

Thanks.
You can thank the idiot who blogged about backtracking on an EK award via Europe and transitting DXB twice.
Since then, Alaska has put in better checks in place.
rankourabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 17, 5:08 pm   #1736

How are people checking availability for close-in award seats (i.e., for travel within 1-3 days)?

I've seen it recommended to use Qantas's search tool, since BA and JAL won't show award space for close-in travel, but it appears that Qantas is subject to the same rule. For example, as of today (Jan. 12), Jan. 16 is the earliest date that Qantas will let me search for.
kboone6783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 17, 6:04 pm   #1737

Programs: DL PM, CO PE, OZ Diamond. SPG Gold, HH Gold.
i remember the old award chart had something like
HKG to Europe.

But now the award chart is flying Cathay from Asia to Europe.

Does it mean that I can do say CTS HKG (stop) LHR as one award?

does intra asia allow a stopover in HKG?

Thanks
pbd456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 17, 6:49 pm   #1738

Quote:
Originally Posted by kboone6783 View Post
I've seen it recommended to use Qantas's search tool, since BA and JAL won't show award space for close-in travel, but it appears that Qantas is subject to the same rule. For example, as of today (Jan. 12), Jan. 16 is the earliest date that Qantas will let me search for.
At that point, you have to go old school and keep calling. To make it go faster, don't mention your existing res, just tell them the segment you're looking for availability on.

You can also see how many revenue tix CX is willing to sell and if it's F0 then probably not worth it .

Last edited by rufflesinc; Jan 12, 17 at 6:56 pm
rufflesinc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 17, 4:10 am   #1739

I'm using the JL website to look for CX F award from HKG-YVR and have not been able to find any available seat for my dates. I've also checked HKG-LAX and HKG-SFO and it is also not available.

I have noticed that HKG-JFK-YVR is available in F though. It is backtracking quite a bit and was wondering if this was valid?
Dope Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 17, 11:28 am   #1740

Is it a common occurrence for BA and AS to show no J seats on a specific intra-asia flight while QF shows J availability on same flight?