New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Old Dec 26, 2016, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brizone
Actually I found myself consistently getting 1A as my initial seat assignment on my most recent redemption on CX in October, from various cities as I closed in on my ideal itinerary. They didn't seem to be effectively blocked, though the seat map indicated such. This was the seat I always asked for, and always received it despite having only my AS MVPG status associated with the PNR.

Alaska can NEVER get you 2A/K out of the gate, you MUST call CX to change the seat assignment. I also consider 2A the best seat, with 1A a close second. This seems to be the conventional wisdom

I've seen it indicated for some while that the North American call center would NEVER release 2A/K for you, that you needed to call HKG. This is mostly - but not entirely - true. If you get the right agent in YVR, they'll do it for you. If you really don't want to call HKG, then just HUCA. HKG agents ALWAYS did it for me after explaining that I could be moved if an actual need for the bassinet develops. I made it a practice to preemptively make them aware that I already knew about this, in order to appear as a frequent flyer in CX F. It seemed to help speed things along once I began doing that.

One other thing: I stopped punching through the call center menu to the awards desk (at either city) since the hold times were always SIGNIFICANTLY longer and those agents seemed far more familiar with (and therefore more likely to enforce) the restrictions on partner award seat assignments.

=> Choose the menu option for people who have bought their ticket from CX instead. Much quicker it seemed.

Hold times seemed to vary wildly by the time of day at BOTH call centers. Sometimes HKG was much shorter. Avoiding prime-time seemed to reduce hold times (unsurprisingly). Of course, if you just landed your ideal flight it doesn't matter what time of day it is: call right away to see if you can get the coveted 2A, no matter which call center it ends up being!
Right. Any agent can handle the seat assignment from my experiences. I also always started with the spill about willing to move should a baby needs the bassinet at 2A.

I found the light of fasten seatbelt shines into 1A and affecting sleep if not wearing eyeshade. On a very turbulent ride this can be very annoying. 2A does not have that issue. That is about the only thing 1A is not as good as 2A.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Right. Any agent can handle the seat assignment from my experiences. I also always started with the spill about willing to move should a baby needs the bassinet at 2A.

I found the light of fasten seatbelt shines into 1A and affecting sleep if not wearing eyeshade. On a very turbulent ride this can be very annoying. 2A does not have that issue. That is about the only thing 1A is not as good as 2A.
Every time 2A needs something, there's traffic past 1A. Every time 1A needs something, 2A isn't disturbed. 2A wins.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Every time 2A needs something, there's traffic past 1A. Every time 1A needs something, 2A isn't disturbed. 2A wins.
Luckily I have not had a fellow passenger at 2A that needs things often. Otherwise that could also be an annoyance. We had a full cabin HKG-LAX in Sept - 3 passengers were traveling on business from same company - one man in 2A and one man in 1D. The 3rd person was a woman in 2D. 2A stood there talking with 1D nonstop before push off. I asked him if he would like to switch seat with me. He declined. Fortunately he did not go talk to 1D after we took off, and he was relatively quiet thru the flight. Unfortunately the 3 were back in full action more than 2 hours before landing - THAT woke me up. On this flight even if I were in 2A would not help because 1/2 of the cabin was traveling together - inevitably they would have interaction that would affect the other 1/2 of cabin. The passenger in 1K actually was the least affected when 1D, 2D and 2A were a group traveling together.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, UR
Got myself a 2A with a "we will add a note to the gate agents that they can move me if a bassinet baby is to be accommodated" note. I am thinking about 1 in 500 chance that I will be booted off 2A Question: Would they still give me an alternate F seat on the same flight or can they even move me to business class?

Last edited by FT-hss; Dec 29, 2016 at 2:53 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:11 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FT-hss
Got myself a 2A with a "we will add a note to the gate agents that they can move me if a bassinet baby is to be accommodated" note. I am thinking about 1 in 500 chance that I will be booted off 2A Question: Would they still give me an alternate F seat on the same flight or can they even move me to business class?
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing they don't oversell F, so yes, you would still get a different F seat.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by FT-hss
No overbooking. Five people show up needing F bassinets? Not your problem, though you'll be in a D seat on the busy side of the cabin.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
I had 1K on 77W from HKG-LAX on a flight that goes in about three weeks. This is an AA redemption. AA couldn't move me to 2A or K, claiming both seats were occupied. (I was pretty sure they were simply blocked).

Tried to call CX a couple days ago and punched in option 3 for redemption tix. Waited 15 minutes on hold before hanging up. Called back today, pressed 1 for tix purchased from CX (ooops! finger slipped). Agent answered in about 30 seconds and moved me to 2A with barely a pause. I'll note that the F cabin on my flight is currently empty other than me. Not sure what magic was at work--I didn't ask about the call center where the agent was located--but wanted to pass along the anecdote.

--mcz
Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mczlaw
I had 1K on 77W from HKG-LAX on a flight that goes in about three weeks. This is an AA redemption. AA couldn't move me to 2A or K, claiming both seats were occupied. (I was pretty sure they were simply blocked).

Tried to call CX a couple days ago and punched in option 3 for redemption tix. Waited 15 minutes on hold before hanging up. Called back today, pressed 1 for tix purchased from CX (ooops! finger slipped). Agent answered in about 30 seconds and moved me to 2A with barely a pause. I'll note that the F cabin on my flight is currently empty other than me. Not sure what magic was at work--I didn't ask about the call center where the agent was located--but wanted to pass along the anecdote.

--mcz
Yea, they cant tell the difference between a blocked and selected seat because they look the same as only CX has access to see for sure.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 11:07 pm

Hi all,
first time poster and first time redeeming AS

Just redeemed a HKG - LAX in F with a 1A seating in June
CSR told me it is confirmed, i don't have any elite status, so i think they unblock those seats?

Last edited by gambud; Jan 2, 2017 at 6:57 am
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:24 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: This thread contains some very old information and has grown unwieldy, so it is closed. Please continue the discussion in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...17-beyond.html

dayone, AS/VX Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.