New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Pretty obvious why; you fall asleep on the plane, and arrive in Hong Kong early morning. It's a long day, but still a "day".

Compare to the early afternoon departure on CX (CX 885), arriving at 7 pm HKG. Prescription for jet lag. Who the heck wants to sleep eight hours in the early afternoon? And if you're connecting at HKG... ugh, it's a 3 am-ish redeye connection.
Agree. But the 0100~ departures take so much fun out of it, particularly if you are battling to keep your kids awake until that hour.

I'm a fan of the 1000~ from JFK. Arrive HKG mid-afternoon, head to the W, do some swimming, do some exploring, have an OK sleep and then push on the next day.

One time when we did the 0100 and pushed all the way through to DPS, my son barfed when we got there. Purely from exhaustion.

The 1400~ also allows you to push through to BKK or SIN, which isn't horrible, but it is really late when you get there.

But I totally get your point, if it were just me flying solo I'd take the 0100 every time.

Jamie
Old Oct 19, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by HolyTiger
Welp, i'm just gonna have to increase the number of daily searches.

Thanks for the help guys.
T-14 is where I'd let the searching start interfering with work, marriage, kids, hygiene, table manners, etc.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
I will be cancelling 1 F seat ORD-HKG 11/15 departure. No guarantees it will go back to award inventory, but if someone wants to take a shot - please pm me when you want me to cancel.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:32 am

Just wanted to parrot here what I heard when booking a ticket from MCI to MLE on CX. So, I wanted to get my baseline itinerary in just to get it out of the way. I confirmed with the agent the 24 hour cancellation possibility for my travel in Nov. She said you get either one change or 1 cancellation otherwise it's $125. 2/4 legs are in J. Hopefully I can change this down the road.

So here's my question (big)if this is true and you're allowed one change. Do you want to nail down your itinerary and have your one change be upgrading to J (or F) when seats become available closer in???

Last edited by MCIdave; Oct 20, 2016 at 12:39 am
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by tonykline1947
I will be cancelling 1 F seat ORD-HKG 11/15 departure. No guarantees it will go back to award inventory, but if someone wants to take a shot - please pm me when you want me to cancel.

Nice offer! Unfortunately, it's about 2 days too late for me. Darn it ...
Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCIdave
Just wanted to parrot here what I heard when booking a ticket from MCI to MLE on CX. So, I wanted to get my baseline itinerary in just to get it out of the way. I confirmed with the agent the 24 hour cancellation possibility for my travel in Nov. She said you get either one change or 1 cancellation otherwise it's $125. 2/4 legs are in J. Hopefully I can change this down the road.

So here's my question (big)if this is true and you're allowed one change. Do you want to nail down your itinerary and have your one change be upgrading to J (or F) when seats become available closer in???
That is for the cancellation or change done within the 24 hours period.

Otherwise you can modify / cancel your itinerary up to 60 days before departure for free. However if you cancel you would not get your phone booking and partner award fee back even before 60 days prior to travel.

Inside the 60 days window it costs $125 per ticket to do anything.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
called it in 16:50 CST. 1F award seat is visible by BA.

peace out
Old Oct 21, 2016, 3:56 pm

called it in 16:50 CST. peace out
Boom. It's there.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Frustrating BA and QF showing one PY seat for Saturday. But AS agents cannot see it.

Is this common? Any workarounds?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Frustrating BA and QF showing one PY seat for Saturday. But AS agents cannot see it.

Is this common? Any workarounds?

No way around it. I've been calling for over 2 weeks for a trip to JNB via YVR. There's an F seat almost daily and they can't even see it. I tried to put it on hold with AA just fine. Not a phantom award issue.

Same thing with LAX to HKG or SFO to HKG. Some day, they can't see every flight even searching by time. Very annoying.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
No way around it. I've been calling for over 2 weeks for a trip to JNB via YVR. There's an F seat almost daily and they can't even see it. I tried to put it on hold with AA just fine. Not a phantom award issue.

Same thing with LAX to HKG or SFO to HKG. Some day, they can't see every flight even searching by time. Very annoying.
Never got AS to see those YYZ-HKG seats showing on BA and QF...
but...
They did see a last minute biz seat that was showing on QF but not on BA

Just dumb luck with these it seems.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Now that BA's effectively blocked close-in searches on CX, would next best be searching on CX site? TIA
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:46 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh
Now that BA's effectively blocked close-in searches on CX, would next best be searching on CX site? TIA
Being a KVS Tool Member, the [Awards/JL-OneWorld] Method remains the most authoritative source for Partner Award Availability on CX flights.

CX site shows expanded Award Availability for CX AM/MPC own members, which may be different.

Please consult the CX section of the KVS Tool User Guide for further details.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:49 pm

Hi -

How is BA blocking CX searches?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:01 pm

By showing no flights available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.