New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 7:56 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by NotHome
Sep 18 CX 873 SFO/HKG and CX881 LAX/HKG both show 2 F available through the BA site, but AS cannot book. THey see only coach.
Those F Award Seats are definitely available (CX 881 only has 1 F Seat though).

For tips on dealing with Agents, who may claim otherwise, please see http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AgentSaysNo

[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.9/Diamond - Axess: Awards/JL-OneWorld/US]
Code:
SFO  San Francisco Intl CA US [KSFO]
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
WED  18 Sep 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
CX         873     SFO   01:00     HKG   06:15 +1  77W  0   FS2  CS0  YS0
CX         879     SFO   13:40     HKG   19:00 +1  744  0   FS2  CS0  YS4
[KVS Availability Tool 7.1.9/Diamond - Axess: Awards/JL-OneWorld/US]
Code:
LAX  Los Angeles Intl CA US [KLAX]
HKG  Hong Kong Intl HK [VHHH]
WED  18 Sep 2013

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------
CX         881     LAX   01:15     HKG   07:00 +1  77W  0   FS1  CS0  YS0
CX         885     LAX   12:55     HKG   18:55 +1  77W  0   FS0  CS0  YS4
CX         883     LAX   23:55     HKG   05:45 +2  77W  0   FS0  CS0  YS0
Old May 3, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS , AA, Hilton, Hyatt, Kimpton, Hertz
I have talked to 4 different agents. They all see cx 872 but not 881. I wonder if there is an issue with the interface between AS and CX. Frustrating!
Old May 4, 2013, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Ask the agent to request the seats (manual sell- basically they don't check the inventory, they go ahead and request it) and see if they come back confirmed, and that you'll call back or they can call back (this takes a while). I had luck doing this on an award where BA saw award inventory and AS did not- the agent offered to do this and called back in a half an hour with a ticket number.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA, HA, DL
Last month I was able to book a last minute flight for my wife in J on CX using AS miles to visit me at work in Singapore.

It helped alot that it was a single seat and her dates were totally flexible, just leave ASAP and return in 2-3 weeks.

Departed just 4 days after booking.
SEA-SFO-HKG-SIN
SIN-HKG-LAX SEA
Old May 6, 2013, 2:02 pm

Update:
Called yet again ready to ask for them to try to manually book. Agent again could not find the flight by flight number, but then tried to find by time and it magically appeared. Got the seats. Her comment was she has been around for while and they have too many new people there who are not well trained. Very helpfule agent!
Old May 6, 2013, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by beckoa
Just booked to JNB for 2 pax. 1st pax is ticketed in 1st LAX-HKG-JNB-HKG-SFO and I'm in E+ LAX-HKG and 1st HKG-JNB-HKG-SFO. Seems CX releases 1 seat at a time on the 777 and 2 at a time on 744. When I was looking on Monday on BA's website I saw F on JNB-HKG, by Tuesday it was gone. However no seats were selected and today JNB-HKG opened up, so I was able to call the partner desk and secure F on this segment (although the upper cabin on the 744 sounded exciting)

If looking at mid Aug- any guess to when CX may open up more F ex-LAX?
Well as a data point, late last night I searched BA's website and the cabin I wanted opened up. Yay- it just took 30 minutes to reissue, and paid roughly $10 more due to recalculation and exchange rates. But happy to be at the pointy end even if only the 777.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Well as a data point, late last night I searched BA's website and the cabin I wanted opened up. Yay- it just took 30 minutes to reissue, and paid roughly $10 more due to recalculation and exchange rates. But happy to be at the pointy end even if only the 777.
Better hurry up if you want the 747- CX is taking them out of the fleet.
Old May 7, 2013, 1:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Better hurry up if you want the 747- CX is taking them out of the fleet.
Yeah- its Aug and 3 of 4 flights are on 744- any AS travelers secure the nose?
Old May 7, 2013, 5:53 am

Programs: AS MVP
I have nose seats in Oct to DPS and Mar to JNB, looks like JNB is going to be one of the last destinations to have the 744, as our flight on 879 from SFO in March is 77W, normally serviced by the 744. I'm going to see how we like 1A/K on our first trip and adjust accordingly for the JNB trip.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:10 am

Yeah- its Aug and 3 of 4 flights are on 744- any AS travelers secure the nose?[/QUOTE]

No nose for me....either blocked or full for my HKG/SFO.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:14 am

When do they plan on removing the 744? I have a flight to JNB in April 2014.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hamburglar
As fast as possible; the 747s chew up fuel compared to 77Ws. You'll be able to see them get pulled off of routes here:

http://airlineroute.net/category/cathay-pacific/
Old May 7, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by hamburglar
Please see post #38 in this thread.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
As fast as possible; the 747s chew up fuel compared to 77Ws. You'll be able to see them get pulled off of routes here:

http://airlineroute.net/category/cathay-pacific/
I was searching for HKG-JNB flights for most of April 2014 and they all show a daily 744 flight. Might be helpful for some.
Old May 7, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Yes, March HKG-JNB has a mix of 777 without F and 744 with F, April JNB-HKG seemed to be all 744 with F, had to issues booking. I'm having more issues ex HKG as I am currently booked on CX 872 which makes me have to spend the night in SFO before getting up to SEA. Trying to switch to any other flight with gets into N. America mid day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.