New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by nichanderson
I did make the mistake of trying to connect up to YVR out of PDX, I guess thats a no no as its a foreign operated flight and thus can't be done but even the lady at the partner desk didn't realize it until we'd already booked everything out and she tried to actually ticket it. I'll probably just end up buying a ticket to YVR as it was <$200 when I looked and 25k extra miles for a 1.5 hour Q400 does not sound enticing. Or maybe the train to YVR from PDX.
that's too bad- i had the AS partner desk ticket me SEA-YEG(QX)-MSP-JFK(DL- only avail we could find over the rockies). I understood US carriers couldn't market these border-hopping connections but I didn't know they were flat out disallowed. guess i got lucky. If your experiences reflect the actual rules, that plus canadian exit taxes and customs would be enough to put me off of ever using CX to get to new york.

I can't wait for partner one way awards.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I think QX/DL is ok as its operated by a US company. The problem is QX/CX as CX can't carry pax US-US, only US-foreign.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
CX (Cathay) Award availability - F &amp; J

Ah, got it -- I'm headed to ICN via HKG (as opposed to JFK.)
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by nichanderson
I do enjoy the nice champagne and a good single malt scotch (Oban is the favorite)..

I went ahead and booked F this morning, partner desk was super helpful and matched up exactly with the availability I found using the asia miles tool outlined in this thread. Finally get to put to good use all these miles I've been collecting flying to Afghanistan and back for work.. I did make the mistake of trying to connect up to YVR out of PDX, I guess thats a no no as its a foreign operated flight and thus can't be done but even the lady at the partner desk didn't realize it until we'd already booked everything out and she tried to actually ticket it. I'll probably just end up buying a ticket to YVR as it was <$200 when I looked and 25k extra miles for a 1.5 hour Q400 does not sound enticing. Or maybe the train to YVR from PDX.

Kind of a bummer that expert flyer can't monitor CX flights.. I'd like to switch to a day earlier as it'd be no change fee per the partner desk, but aside for periodically searching on Asia miles I have no other way to monitor if other F availability will open up.

Edit: Also @evoG the flight I booked had the "just a few seats remaining" tag on it, but the 3 days in may I saw matched exactly with what the Alaska partner desk said they saw. Waiting on hold they were advertising the new award search feature on Alaska for partners, can't wait until that is actually active
I flew PDX-YVR-HKG-YVR-PDX on CX in September 2012 with no issues.

Is it because JFK is the destination?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by apodo77
I flew PDX-YVR-HKG-YVR-PDX on CX in September 2012 with no issues.

Is it because JFK is the destination?
Yes...

Due to Cabotage
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Sorry if this has been asked before.. but I've never redeemed an award on CX using AS miles..

Can changes be made after departure?

I think not...

Also I've no status on AS (anymore). Is the booking fee for partner flights $50 or $100 now?

Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Sorry if this has been asked before.. but I've never redeemed an award on CX using AS miles..

Can changes be made after departure?

I think not...

Also I've no status on AS (anymore). Is the booking fee for partner flights $50 or $100 now?

Thanks
I am not aware of any difference between CX awards and any other awards. Any awards can be changed at any time before or after departure online for $75 or via phone for $100. Since you cannot make or change a CX award online, you'll have to call in and pay $100.

The partner booking fee is a nonrefundable $25, regardless of elite status. This is not waived for MVPs or MVP Golds. This is in addition to the standard non-elite phone booking fee of $15 (which is waived for MVP Goldss and higher), so as a nonelite, you can expect to pay $40 plus taxes to book your award. Any subsequent changes will cost you $100 plus the difference in taxes.

Last edited by jackal; Feb 14, 2013 at 7:09 pm
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by jackal
I am not aware of any difference between CX awards and any other awards. Any awards can be changed at any time before or after departure online for $75 or via phone for $100. Since you cannot make or change a CX award online, you'll have to call in and pay $100.

The partner booking fee is a nonrefundable $25, regardless of elite status. This is not waived for MVPs or MVP Golds. This is in addition to the standard non-elite phone booking fee of $15 (which is waived for MVP Goldss and higher), so as a nonelite, you can expect to pay $40 plus taxes to book your award. Any subsequent changes will cost you $100 plus the difference in taxes.
Thank you.

I never knew that partner awards' dates can be changed after departure. I always thought that the dates, once travel has commenced are locked in stone.

Oh goodie, then its time to cash in my 140K miles for a ticket to South Africa on CX !
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Thank you.

I never knew that partner awards' dates can be changed after departure. I always thought that the dates, once travel has commenced are locked in stone.

Oh goodie, then its time to cash in my 140K miles for a ticket to South Africa on CX !
I think you might be thinking of awards redeemed through US, who does not allow changes after travel has begun. AS has (and has never had, to my knowledge) no such restriction. (I myself have changed a partner award mid-stream.)
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:39 pm

When booking 330 days out (or as far as possible), do you wait until the return flight is available? Is there any way to hold the outgoing flights and complete booking when return flight is open? Thanks
Old Mar 20, 2013, 7:13 pm

I believe you have to have the space available for a RT, or pay the change fees when you try to add on a return.

It seems that "low" or "saver" CX awards should be thought of as stand-by. Not just that they can't sell it, but they cant get SWU, buyups, opups, nonrevs, SDC, plus probably a few I don't know about.

That would go a long ways to explain why sometimes availability is virtually non-existent. Also, it would explain why seats sometimes pop up a few days before departure.

I have taken to looking for a week or two within a month-long timeframe for my desired dates. And then sweating out what days to go, up until a few days before departure if need be. If you have to have certain dates, expect it to be tough.

So, with that said, I snagged a RT PDX-MNL in Business. I was looking for a week or so sometime between Feb 10-March 10. I would find it one way, but not the other. Or I would find the 4-stop itinerary from Hell. Or Busiiness one way, Economy the other.

You have to have the courage to just say NO. And on March 16, I finally got PDX-YVR-HKG-MNL on QX/CX leaving Feb 19 with a February 25 return. The return initially was via LAX, but a HKG-YVR seat opened up 2 days before the return, so I changed to that enroute.

All in, $70 and 100K for a RT TPAC in Business.

Welcome to the new reality.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by hamburglar
When booking 330 days out (or as far as possible), do you wait until the return flight is available? Is there any way to hold the outgoing flights and complete booking when return flight is open? Thanks
Yes I have booked CX F like this. Book the outward leg at 330 and then the return later when available.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:25 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Why does the AS site only list YVR-JFK on their partner chart?

Can we no longer use AS to get to HKG?

Also can someone link me a redemption chart for AS Miles on CX
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AMRivlin

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...hart-asia.aspx
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
Originally Posted by AMRivlin:20474146

From the page that you see the yvr-jfk, click on the Asia link on the right.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/using-miles/award-chart-asia.aspx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.