New York City (JFK/EWR)
Boston (BOS)
Toronto (YYZ)
Chicago (ORD)
Vancouver (YVR)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)

Notes and tips:

You cannot book CX award flights on alaskaair.com.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...rs/cathay.aspx

Award Travel on Cathay Pacific

Book Your Award Travel: To use Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ Miles on Cathay Pacific, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily
Both BA and JL websites can be used to search for CX partner inventory. JL is typically a more accurate engine. BA should only be used on a per-segment basis (in other words, do not search for LAX-BKK, search for LAX-HKG, then HKG-BKK). Note that AS award availability is only for 330 days, the BA engine will show availability to 365 days.

There are mixed reports on getting a CX stopover outside of HKG. By rule, HKG is the only allowed stopover. Stopovers are not allowed on intra-Asia award bookings (you will need a North American segment to be able to book a stopover).

All CX awards except for the intra-Asia award must either originate or end in HKG or North America. If you wish to fly Middle East/India/Europe/Asia/Australia to a CX destination beyond your initial flight to or from HKG that is not a North American destination, it will be two awards: XXX-HKG and HKG-YYY. CX intra-Asia awards do not include a stopover.

CX releases availability close in. If you do a change where you book another cabin and upgrade to F (which often may be the only way to get F on CX), you will be charged the $125 rebooking fee (waived for MVPG+).

*Have the AS CSR perform the search one leg at a time (Transoceanic first). That might yield more results than the whole itinerary at once.*

The CX forum has a FAQ on the CX experience.

Award eligible Destinations
By region.

(Dragon Air is not allowed on AS award)

Africa
Johannesburg (JNB)

Asia
Bangkok (BKK)
Beijing (PEK)
Cebu (CEB)
Denpasar (Bali) (DPS)
Fukuoka (FUK)
Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
Hong Kong (HKG)
Jakarta (CGK)
Kuala Lumpur (KUL) [Ends 30 April]
Manila (MNL)
Osaka (KIX)
Sapporo (CTS)
Seoul (ICN)
Shanghai (PVG)
Singapore (SIN)
Surabaya (SUB)
Taipei (TPE)
Tokyo (HND)

Australia/NZ
Adelaide (ADL)
Auckland (AKL)
Brisbane (BNE)
Cairns (CNS)
Melbourne (MEL)
Perth (PER)
Sydney (SYD)

India/Middle East

Bahrain (BAH)
Chennai (MAA)
Colombo (CMB)
Delhi (DEL)
Doha (DOH) [Discontinued as of Feb 2016]
Dubai (DXB)
Hyderabad (HYD)
Malé (MLE)
Mumbai (BOM)
Riyadh (RUH)
Tel Aviv (TLV)

Europe (To/from HKG only. NA is separate award)

Amsterdam (AMS)
Barcelona (BCN)
Düsseldorf (DUS)
Frankfurt (FRA)
London (LHR, LGW)
Manchester (MAN)
Milan (MXP)
Paris (CDG)
Rome (FCO)
Zurich (ZRH)
Print Wikipost

CX (Cathay) Award availability

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:23 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Probably will be Newark, which isn't very exciting... I'm hoping it will be Boston or Seattle! Even Miami would be interesting. But the New York area has many, many flights to Asia already.
Don't they already fly to JFK (via YVR)?

Although I'm hoping for Seattle, my guess would be Boston as well. Not sure Miami would be worth it for them.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by baliktad
Don't they already fly to JFK (via YVR)?

Although I'm hoping for Seattle, my guess would be Boston as well. Not sure Miami would be worth it for them.
CX has 2x flights nonstop and a 3rd via YVR daily. It seems there's a 4th nonstop 3x a week in the summer.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 4:43 am

Programs: Aeroplan
CX (Cathay) Award availability - F & J

Is it possible to change one segment after an award has been started ? I intend to fly one segment then have a stopover. If space becomes available for hkg-lax later I want to switch to this flight instead of hkg-sfo.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:23 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by choupeo
Is it possible to change one segment after an award has been started ? I intend to fly one segment then have a stopover. If space becomes available for hkg-lax later I want to switch to this flight instead of hkg-sfo.
If booked as an Alaska award, any of the segments can be changed at any time, even after the journey has commenced. Changes are free for Gold/75K (or those traveling on Gold/75K miles), and $100 per person for everyone else. For tickets issued after Oct 30, 2013, the fee will increase to $125 per person.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
Two questions I am wondering if anyone knows the answer to:

1. Can I change an award's partners after booking? For example, I want to go to Perth and only Cathay has seats open. Can I change to Qantas if space opens up (is this just a cancel and rebooking for $100 per person?)?

2. Can I change an award level after flying one leg? For example, If I fly from Perth to Hong Kong and stopover at the economy level, and a business seat opens up Hong Kong to LAX during the stopover, can I book the next leg as business class by paying the business class award rate between Australia and North America?
Old Aug 8, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
I would say yes to both, but I am not as sure about 2. Also you cannot mix partners (except AF/KL and AS with any partner) so it has be QF metal all the way through to PER.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
BA is much better

I tried again today for another trip from JFK to HKG for Aug 16th or 17th, both dates were available in either F and/or J on both days on BA, but when I called AS they had no availability. This is really frustrating and certainly a recent change where AS's inventory for CX awards has been severely restricted. I never had this problem in the past.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: ASMVP Gold75k DL Gold UA Premier Gold SPG Gold Hyatt Platinum Hilton Gold Marriott Gold
Using the method to look at inventory using Asia miles as mentioned earlier in this thread I've had 100% success. Just booked a YVR-JFK in first, and HKG-LAX in CX first as well. Call up the partner desk, and have them book it and be off the phone within 5 minutes.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Lounge access when using AS miles on Cathay

Hello everyone,
I am traveling business class on Cathay using AS miles. We are traveling LAX-HKG, stopover for a few days, then HKK to BKK, and then the same return. Will I have access to the Cathay lounges along the way?

I'm mainly concerned about HKG bc we arrive at 6am and want to use The Arrival lounge in HKG.

Thank you,
Ashley
(Ps-I did a search and nothing came up)
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ashley1245
Hello everyone,
I am traveling business class on Cathay using AS miles. We are traveling LAX-HKG, stopover for a few days, then HKK to BKK, and then the same return. Will I have access to the Cathay lounges along the way?

I'm mainly concerned about HKG bc we arrive at 6am and want to use The Arrival lounge in HKG.

Thank you,
Ashley
(Ps-I did a search and nothing came up)
Yes, you have lounge access. Details in the CX forum, item 9:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-about-cx.html
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yes, you have lounge access. Details in the CX forum, item 9:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-about-cx.html
Thank you so much!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
HKG-JNB equipment change from 28 October

749 HKG-JNB 77G (that's 3 class....No F!) x27 (Tues/Sun)
749 HKG-JNB 744

So my award ticket for a Thursday 744 in F is now a 77G is J
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by 98103
HKG-JNB equipment change from 28 October

749 HKG-JNB 77G (that's 3 class....No F!) x27 (Tues/Sun)
749 HKG-JNB 744

So my award ticket for a Thursday 744 in F is now a 77G is J
I see a 77W instead of 77G which should have F. Does that mean they aren't flying daily either?

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/12/cx-jnb-w13/
Old Aug 12, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Phew, looks like our F trip in March/April is still safe.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
New north american CX gateway is EWR and no F cabin so not the good news i was hoping for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.