Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines First Class - From First to Worst. Please Share Your Thoughts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines First Class - From First to Worst. Please Share Your Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2010, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by N522US
The seats with the TV's in the seat backs are completely different seats than Alaska's.
No, not true. They are the same general seat. Just look at them! The CO seat is wider in the backrest, yes. The headrests are better, yes. The CO seat w/ DTV is an improved version of the AS seat. They are not "completely different seats than Alaska's." Either way, they aren't great.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:17 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Exactly the same as AS's, or close, minus the DTV and half of the recline Seems to me with the same seats, CO is doing a better job

Originally Posted by SFO777
Unfortunately not the same angle, but they do look a little similar. Thin, kind of like sitting on plywood but without the slivers.

Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by United757
No, not true. They are the same general seat. Just look at them! The CO seat is wider in the backrest, yes. The headrests are better, yes. The CO seat w/ DTV is an improved version of the AS seat. They are not "completely different seats than Alaska's." Either way, they aren't great.
Have you sat in both? I have, numerous times. They are different seats. Continental's seat supplier was Koito, the seat you see in the pic. Alaska's seats are from a different supplier, hence why they loaned seats to Continental to replace the recalled Koito seats.

The Koito seat in the pic is only on the 737-900ER; it is far more comfortable than Alaska's. The seats loaned to Continental for the 737-800's (that can't accommodate Live TV) are the same as Alaska's and I believe they are from B/E Aerospace.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 7:40 pm

Have you sat in both? I have, numerous times. They are different seats. Continental's seat supplier was Koito, the seat you see in the pic. Alaska's seats are from a different supplier, hence why they loaned seats to Continental to replace the recalled Koito seats.

The Koito seat in the pic is only on the 737-900ER; it is far more comfortable than Alaska's. The seats loaned to Continental for the 737-800's (that can't accommodate Live TV) are the same as Alaska's.
Yes, I have sat in both. There is a different seat on many of the 738s, which isn't similar to the AS seat. Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about the seat that is on all 739ERs, which IS similar to the AS seat. They have the same design on the sides of the seat, just check for yourself. You are saying that the 739s have a completely different manufacturer than AS's seats? They seem to be VERY similar, and it seems one company made an identical seat then...
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by United757
Yes, I have sat in both. There is a different seat on many of the 738s, which isn't similar to the AS seat. Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about the seat that is on all 739ERs, which IS similar to the AS seat. They have the same design on the sides of the seat, just check for yourself. You are saying that the 739s have a completely different manufacturer than AS's seats? They seem to be VERY similar, and it seems one company made an identical seat then...
Yeah I am talking about the 739ER and the seat. While it may look similar to Alaska's, they are made by different manufacturers. So they are different seats, despite any similarities.

If the seats were made by the same company (Koito), then Alaska wouldn't be able to take delivery of additional 73H's without changing seat manufacturers (which Alaska is not being forced to do). Continental had 9 73H's sit in Seattle for months until they could find replacement seats (for the recalled Kotio seats) which turned out to be the same seat that Alaska uses. These identical seats are only on Continental ships 519 thru 528.

The remaining Continental 73H, 73G and 735 fleets are also a different seat - from the 739 and from Alaska's. These are an older generation of first class seats that have been in the fleet for over 10 years.

Hope this isn't too confusing.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:01 pm

From my understanding, U522US is correct... There are only 8 or so CO 73Hs that has the AS F seats... Remember, last spring when Kokito scandal unraveled, there were a bunch of CO 737s sitting in BFI. That is because the tainted seats could not be installed on those 737s and CO was able to work something out with B/E Aerospace along with Boeing/Alaska to get seats that are immediately available and installed them on the delayed 737s. Those 737s were finally delivered to CO in Sept 2010 IIRC.

Due to certification issues and other factors, those aircrafts will not have DirecTV with the temporary seats, you can see at this page: http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US...eetStatus.aspx that the DirecTV installation completion date on the 737-800s has been moved one year later. Originally all 737s were supposed to have the TV installed by end this month, but because of several aircrafts that has the temporary seats will not be able to get DirecTV until CO gets their standard permanent seats.

I guess we can assume - based on the fleet status page - that the temporary seats will be replaced with the standard CO seats - that meets FAA safety requirements - by December 2011.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:30 am

Yeah I am talking about the 739ER and the seat. While it may look similar to Alaska's, they are made by different manufacturers. So they are different seats, despite any similarities.

If the seats were made by the same company (Koito), then Alaska wouldn't be able to take delivery of additional 73H's without changing seat manufacturers (which Alaska is not being forced to do). Continental had 9 73H's sit in Seattle for months until they could find replacement seats (for the recalled Kotio seats) which turned out to be the same seat that Alaska uses. These identical seats are only on Continental ships 519 thru 528.

The remaining Continental 73H, 73G and 735 fleets are also a different seat - from the 739 and from Alaska's. These are an older generation of first class seats that have been in the fleet for over 10 years.

Hope this isn't too confusing.
Oh, okay...I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification. The new seats are very similar to AS, and not very comfortable. I mean, they look identical, from the side panels, to the center console, to the general shape, and even the tray table design. The other, older 737 F seats are much nicer IMHO because they aren't paper thin.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 5:57 pm

So I finally splurged and bought a paid F ticket for Christmas (yesterday).

Although I'm more of a QX user (to connect to other airlines in SEA), as a MP member I was looking forward to experiencing First on mainline AS. The flight also makes me MVP for 2011, which in itself is great. My only other F experience on a US carrier was with the former NW and it was quite similar. Dig-e players are pain (especially if you want music, you end up with the biggest MP3 player ever! Seats were comfortable and overhead space was plentiful (there was even a few spots leftover after the full-F cabin boarded). Pre-departure was water or coffee.

What shocked me was the behaviour of the crew! Don't get me wrong they worked throughout the flight (always making sure everyone had enough to drink) and you could tell they all worked well as a whole crew. Yet I couldn't shake off the "style", which I don't think is what they call the 'alaska spirit':

To be adressed by a "what's up?!" when I got the attention of the flight attendant [for a drink], and having another crew member address F-pax by doing the a little finger pointing motion (index extended, thumb in the air). The greeting of another F/A when getting onboard was on par with the Southwest overly cheerful. Anyway I didn't know what to expect and I'm sure happy I didn't get the dreaded flight attendant dAAgger eyes patented by another US carrier. This isn't really a put down but I just wanted to know if this was a standard expectation of F on AS or if I just got a very jolly and informal crew. To compare with AC, which is much more formal, even in Y!

One more thing, on AC there is a pre-defined order for taking meal orders (paid F, then by status level etc no by row numbers). The F/A took the orders from row 1 and worked her way back (there was an AS pilot in row 1, and a couple in row 1 got upgraded at the gate). Fortunately, the salmon was unpopular and I didn't feel like chicken. Is this how AS does the meal ordering (1A through to 4F) because funny enough she was writing our orders on the manifest! (and would thus know who are the non-revs/upgrades/fullfare)

Overall, ANY F experience is better than Y so I'll take what I get, and looking forward to enjoying maybe a few MVP upgrades (seems that the BLI routes aren't too Elite-heavy) in 2011
Old Dec 26, 2010, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by speaker
What shocked me was the behaviour of the crew! Don't get me wrong they worked throughout the flight (always making sure everyone had enough to drink) and you could tell they all worked well as a whole crew. Yet I couldn't shake off the "style", which I don't think is what they call the 'alaska spirit':

To be adressed by a "what's up?!" when I got the attention of the flight attendant [for a drink], and having another crew member address F-pax by doing the a little finger pointing motion (index extended, thumb in the air). The greeting of another F/A when getting onboard was on par with the Southwest overly cheerful. Anyway I didn't know what to expect and I'm sure happy I didn't get the dreaded flight attendant dAAgger eyes patented by another US carrier. This isn't really a put down but I just wanted to know if this was a standard expectation of F on AS or if I just got a very jolly and informal crew. To compare with AC, which is much more formal, even in Y!
The "casual" attitude you describe in AS F service is more common than not. I believe this has to do with the large number of upgrades vs. paid F upfront. I've had some FA's do a personal introduction, addressing each passenger by name in a very formal manner. Other times, I've had a "broadcast" greeting by the FA just standing at the front of the cabin and a casual "whacha havin today?" diner-style order-taking. Overall, I would say the majority are happy to be there and happy to serve, which is what matters most to me.

Originally Posted by speaker
One more thing, on AC there is a pre-defined order for taking meal orders (paid F, then by status level etc no by row numbers). The F/A took the orders from row 1 and worked her way back (there was an AS pilot in row 1, and a couple in row 1 got upgraded at the gate). Fortunately, the salmon was unpopular and I didn't feel like chicken. Is this how AS does the meal ordering (1A through to 4F) because funny enough she was writing our orders on the manifest! (and would thus know who are the non-revs/upgrades/fullfare)
Almost every FA in F uses the manifest to take orders, but I don't think it reflects fare basis/booking class. It lists only the passenger's status but doesn't indicate paid F vs. any of the upgrade types. I would say 90% of the time, orders are taken front to back, starting in row 1 and finishing in row 4. Occasionaly I have seen AA-style FEBO order-taking, but this is definitely not standard on AS.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by baliktad
The "casual" attitude you describe in AS F service is more common than not. I believe this has to do with the large number of upgrades vs. paid F upfront. I've had some FA's do a personal introduction, addressing each passenger by name in a very formal manner. Other times, I've had a "broadcast" greeting by the FA just standing at the front of the cabin and a casual "whacha havin today?" diner-style order-taking. Overall, I would say the majority are happy to be there and happy to serve, which is what matters most to me.
Agree. Service is rarely formal (though it can be a treat when you experience it!) but nearly always friendly. Perhaps it's my West Coast upbringing, but friendliness is more attractive to me than formality, so I am happy with the style of most AS crews.

I do appreciate an attentive crew, though, and that is a bit more of a mixed bag: it's maybe 60-70% of crews that begin service promptly and continue service throughout the flight.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I've never really had a problem with WN-style jocularity (which does get complained about often here on FT), and it happens often with AS crews. One gentleman who works the EWR flights (previously the MCO ones) always points out the highlight of the meal at the end of his spiel: the hot nuts.

Another one I've noticed will stage-whisper "Alaska Airlines is the best...you want to fly Alaska Airlines..." over the PA.

I, for one, don't really want very polite robots (though I suppose it's preferably to rude service), and I think people who are engaged with their job and having fun doing it (while still providing excellent service) are the best ones to fly with.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Another one I've noticed will stage-whisper "Alaska Airlines is the best...you want to fly Alaska Airlines..." over the PA.

I, for one, don't really want very polite robots (though I suppose it's preferably to rude service), and I think people who are engaged with their job and having fun doing it (while still providing excellent service) are the best ones to fly with.
As one who always purchases First class outright (I've lost MVP Gold being relocated) I'm generally happy with the service with three gripes:
- no power outlets
- Rare pre-flight drink service
...and the overzealous overselling of the AlaskaAir Credit card with similar whispering on the intercom.

I understand FAs might get spiffed for these cards - do they? I've been tempted to threaten to cut mine up in front of them when I get a carefully fanned set of applications shoved in front of my nose in First by the same FA who couldn't give me a cup of water before takeoff.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fishferbrains
As one who always purchases First class outright (I've lost MVP Gold being relocated) I'm generally happy with the service with three gripes:
- no power outlets
- Rare pre-flight drink service
...and the overzealous overselling of the AlaskaAir Credit card with similar whispering on the intercom.

I understand FAs might get spiffed for these cards - do they? I've been tempted to threaten to cut mine up in front of them when I get a carefully fanned set of applications shoved in front of my nose in First by the same FA who couldn't give me a cup of water before takeoff.
I'm about to hit 40k and I haven't been sold the card in first that hard usually it's just an intercom announcement at the beginning of the flight. I've never been assaulted by a fan of apps.

Now the pdd is hit or miss and has always been just water.

I flew DL two weeks ago and I found the FA's to be cranky and not very friendly. They weren't very attentive either. On AS to me it seems like the FA's genuinely enjoy their jobs
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I know for a fact they do on US so it wouldn't surprise me if they did on AS. My US FA friend gets $50 for every approval.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
"Flogging" might be a better word.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.