Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~
Print Wikipost

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
Originally Posted by dgreen12
Yup. Likely to be just one long flight for crediting purposes.
Back to this question!

To refresh, I have a flight with the same flight numbers of AA113 from BCN-MIA-DEN. I Would like to split the flight up into two mileage credits: MIA-DEN on AA, and BCN-MIA on Alaska, since I get a bonus on that.

My ticket says THRU on it, so, will I be able to split them up?I out no FF # until I got to Miami, where I put my AA # in so I can get early boarding. Should I just switch it to my AS number and stop trying to max out the miles and take the "safer bet?"

As I am at the airport, this would be great to know now haha.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by AJCU
Back to this question!

To refresh, I have a flight with the same flight numbers of AA113 from BCN-MIA-DEN. I Would like to split the flight up into two mileage credits: MIA-DEN on AA, and BCN-MIA on Alaska, since I get a bonus on that.

My ticket says THRU on it, so, will I be able to split them up?I out no FF # until I got to Miami, where I put my AA # in so I can get early boarding. Should I just switch it to my AS number and stop trying to max out the miles and take the "safer bet?"

As I am at the airport, this would be great to know now haha.
Its probably too late now but any custom FF miles application, its best just to keep your FF numbers out of the reservation. One you have one in there you are likely out of luck. If its an O fare don't worry as it wont credit to AS at all.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have to call to take advantage of the 24hr cancellation or can it be done online?

I can't find it online.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chexfan
Do you have to call to take advantage of the 24hr cancellation or can it be done online?

I can't find it online.
It can be done online. When you pull up your reservation there should be a cancel button which will bring you to the screen with the cancellation options. On that screen there should be an option that states refund to original form of payment
Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
And it's exactly 24 hrs. from when you purchased the ticket, not until midnight the next day.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDKing
It can be done online. When you pull up your reservation there should be a cancel button which will bring you to the screen with the cancellation options. On that screen there should be an option that states refund to original form of payment
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
And it's exactly 24 hrs. from when you purchased the ticket, not until midnight the next day.
Thanks! ^
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Booked a round trip flight BOS-SAN for a personal vacation. Turns out I got assigned a business trip at the tail end of the vacation, so I won't be using my returning flight.

I didn't book a refundable ticket. What can I do with that ticket? Is there anyway to get a credit for future travel? Do I automatically pay the $125 fee no matter what I do?

And lastly, I had planned on traveling back with my brother. If I don't plan on making the flight can I just not tell them and then not show up, that way he has an empty seat next to him? Or would they fill it last minute?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG (OWS)
I'm trying to book a complicated multi-city trip that includes both an AA domestic flight and an international trip to Europe on BA. I'd like to bank miles in AS for both trips. I'm confused about what it means for a flight to be marketed by someone.

The AS website says that I will only get credit for a BA flight if it is "marketed and operated" by BA. Does this just mean "sold"? Does this means that I cannot buy the ticket from, for example, the AA website and still get milage credit for it on AS or does it only mean that my tickets need to booked with BA flight numbers and not AA code-shares?

Thanks!
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by emurray077
Booked a round trip flight BOS-SAN for a personal vacation. Turns out I got assigned a business trip at the tail end of the vacation, so I won't be using my returning flight.

I didn't book a refundable ticket. What can I do with that ticket? Is there anyway to get a credit for future travel? Do I automatically pay the $125 fee no matter what I do?

And lastly, I had planned on traveling back with my brother. If I don't plan on making the flight can I just not tell them and then not show up, that way he has an empty seat next to him? Or would they fill it last minute?
you can call AS and have them convert it from a round trip to a one way, and you will get a credit in your wallet for the one way price if eligible. i think that eligibility depends on being >60 days from the date of departure, but others will have to verify. i did this recently and it worked seamlessly.

i think you can also do it online with the change flights button on your reservation.

regarding the open seat question, if you cancel your res, there is a decent chance the seat will be resold. if you no show it, you'll lose the value, and they may still give it away to a standby.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
you can call AS and have them convert it from a round trip to a one way, and you will get a credit in your wallet for the one way price if eligible. i think that eligibility depends on being >60 days from the date of departure, but others will have to verify. i did this recently and it worked seamlessly.
Based on my experience, splitting a RT into two one-way tickets triggers a reticketing, which incurs a $125 fee (unless you're MVPG). If the ticket is >60 days out, I suppose it is free, but otherwise it's $125. If the return is worth less than that, I'd just no-show.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:39 pm

Can someone explain the process that determines upgrade order? Im an MVPG. Is it solely based on who has the most EQM that year? How early the bought the ticket? Appreciate any insight on this
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:52 pm

Had to call Alaska Air to checkin - while talking with the agent, I asked if I would be able to check my bags thru to my destination. I'm flying SEA-DTW-SEA all in one day with only a 1 hour layover in DTW. She said it was a security risk to check my bags thru to SEA.

Anyone have experience with this?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG (OWS)
Originally Posted by uaflr
Had to call Alaska Air to checkin - while talking with the agent, I asked if I would be able to check my bags thru to my destination. I'm flying SEA-DTW-SEA all in one day with only a 1 hour layover in DTW. She said it was a security risk to check my bags thru to SEA.

Anyone have experience with this?
You are trying to check a bag on a flight from Seattle to Seattle? Presumably, the issue is that these are actually separate tickets so you have two final destinations (DTW and SEA). Worst case, there are services like this at SEA that will store your baggage for you at SEA for the day.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mcmatto
Can someone explain the process that determines upgrade order? Im an MVPG. Is it solely based on who has the most EQM that year? How early the bought the ticket? Appreciate any insight on this
There's a thread somewhere with the details, but basically the upgrade list is ordered by level (75k > gold > MVP) and then purchase time. There are some exceptions.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by LwoodY2K
There's a thread somewhere with the details, but basically the upgrade list is ordered by level (75k > gold > MVP) and then purchase time. There are some exceptions.
How Complimentary Upgrades Work Thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ades-work.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.