Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~
Print Wikipost

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA, BAEC, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver.
Originally Posted by asdf1223
You should contact BAEC. It could take up to a month for the miles to post, but you could try contacting BAEC with your PNR/E-Ticket Number and let them know the miles havent posted.
Thanks for the advice, I will contact BAEC as suggested.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by LAXative
If you check in online and the website lets you, it will give your boarding passes (either mobile or pdf to print out) so no need to stop by the counter. It should give you BPs for both of your segments, barring any other issues.
Very useful info, thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by brankell5566
When checking in online, if it necessary for me to go to the check-in counter at the airport (no checked baggage)? I checked in online with Delta last year and I went straight for TSA, but at the gate, I had to go up to the agent and they had to check our passports.

Also, will I be issued two boarding passes at the same time if I have a layover flight? YVR-SEA, SEA-SNA.
Same situation with AS/Horizon.
I fly YVR-SEA-XXX regularly. I print all my boarding passes at home and just head straight to the gate (they are the remote E gates at YVR, like E80-ish, so quite a hike from the check-in area. At the gate, the GA will page anyone who didn't check in at the counter to come up to the podium for a passport check before boarding starts.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:01 pm

One more question, does Alaska (or TSA) allow passengers to bring one of those external battery packs on a carry-on? Mine is pretty large (10400 mAh's) and can charge a phone like 3 times.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by brankell5566
One more question, does Alaska (or TSA) allow passengers to bring one of those external battery packs on a carry-on? Mine is pretty large (10400 mAh's) and can charge a phone like 3 times.
As carryon, yes.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 3:40 pm

I used Gold Guest upgrades on a RT to Hawaii. Today, I saw the price dropped by $60 and I quickly called in to see if they can process the price guarantee without losing my confirmed upgrade seats. The AS rep was very nice but can't do anything because according to her, she would have to reissue the ticket. The Gold Guest upgrade would be gone and can't be reconfirmed.

Is there anything else I can do?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
I used Gold Guest upgrades on a RT to Hawaii. Today, I saw the price dropped by $60 and I quickly called in to see if they can process the price guarantee without losing my confirmed upgrade seats. The AS rep was very nice but can't do anything because according to her, she would have to reissue the ticket. The Gold Guest upgrade would be gone and can't be reconfirmed.

Is there anything else I can do?
Nope, there is nothing you can do. You need to decide if you want the credit or the upgrade. Id keep the upgrade
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Quick question on redeeming AS miles on a partner airline. If I book a F award but one leg has J or Y bookable, does this mean that should F availability open up I can request the seat?

Also If I am booking LAX-X-LHR and a direct flight opens up will I be able to change like on AA for free as long as origin and destination do not change?

TIA
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by EL3V3N
Quick question on redeeming AS miles on a partner airline. If I book a F award but one leg has J or Y bookable, does this mean that should F availability open up I can request the seat?
I think yes but some partners (especially EK) won't let you change just one leg. Check out the EK thread for more.
(It might incur a change fee but I don't know offhand)

Originally Posted by EL3V3N
Also If I am booking LAX-X-LHR and a direct flight opens up will I be able to change like on AA for free as long as origin and destination do not change?TIA
I think only if it's 60+ days out from the flights but haven't had that specific situation myself.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Over 60 days out change fees waived.

Otherwise $125/pp per change unless MVPG+

AS doesn't behave like AA with awards.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 8:05 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by CDKing
Nope, there is nothing you can do. You need to decide if you want the credit or the upgrade. Id keep the upgrade
If there is still U space available on the flight, and the Guest Upgrades are yours, then its pretty easy to have both.

You do lose the upgrade space while its being reissued. But if you are "owner" of the Guest Upgrades, they will reissue them immediately and re-process the upgrade.

If you're using upgrades that were gifted to you from someone else, it becomes a little more complicated as they will only reissue Guest Upgrades to the Gold who received them in the first place.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:58 pm

I'm thinking about crediting some CX flights to my AS mileage plan. I can't figure out if there's any MVPG bonus for these flights. In 2013, I credited an EK flight, and didn't get any MVPG bonus. Not sure if something has changed since then since all partners flight are now eligible for status milage.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Cathay Pacific flights do not earn MVP(G) bonus miles.

More generally, the partner page for each airline will state if MVP(G) bonuses are earned. Emirates is now one of them, it seems, but not CX.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:40 pm

I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't find it...

Will earning Delta miles on AS metal in 2015 be revenue based as it will be on DL metal? I will be most likely be booking an AS flight through Citi's portal and paying via Thank You Points.

Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 8tracks
I'm sure this has been covered, but I couldn't find it...

Will earning Delta miles on AS metal in 2015 be revenue based as it will be on DL metal? I will be most likely be booking an AS flight through Citi's portal and paying via Thank You Points.
That's actually a Delta question, as the rules for earning in the SkyMiles program is set by Delta, not Alaska.

The page on Delta's site describing earning in SkyMiles when flying a carrier other than Delta is listed here:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_.../airlines.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.