Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 14, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Welcome to the Newbie Lounge Thread!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread--click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
Cholula
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~
Print Wikipost

[Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by baliktad
On your AS segments, you can be waitlisted for first class. AS knows what you paid for your award and is willing to grant you the accommodations you 'paid' for as they become available. You don't have to wait for the day of departure for this - you will be waitlisted for 'A' space and can be upgraded anytime it becomes available.

On EK segments, you will fly as ticketed. There's no chance to upgrade as EK doesn't have any idea what you 'paid' or what you are entitled to. The only way to change is if EK opens up award availability and you call AS to request a change to the ticket (along with any applicable change fees).
Thanks for the info..

In a ticket with stopover it makes sense.. Since EK may not know if those were separate tickets with diff class award redemption or same ticket.. But on a through itinerary, I assume EK can at least see that the other segment of theirs was first class and help.. It is just that they don't want to do that..
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:45 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by slickpokerdealer
Thanks for the info..

In a ticket with stopover it makes sense.. Since EK may not know if those were separate tickets with diff class award redemption or same ticket.. But on a through itinerary, I assume EK can at least see that the other segment of theirs was first class and help.. It is just that they don't want to do that..
The point is that one segment in first class does not mean that you are entitled to all segments in first class - there are many reasons you could end up in a mixed cabin situation like this. AS owns the ticket so any changes you want to make need to be requested through AS.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
When I look at the upgrade list with my mobile app, is that list only reflecting those who have checked in, or am I seeing the complete list? I'm #4 of 4 on a flight with 4 seats that leaves in 23 hours, and I'm wondering if I actually have a chance, or if there are still elites that haven't checked in yet and are not being reflected on this list.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Sounder
When I look at the upgrade list with my mobile app, is that list only reflecting those who have checked in, or am I seeing the complete list? I'm #4 of 4 on a flight with 4 seats that leaves in 23 hours, and I'm wondering if I actually have a chance, or if there are still elites that haven't checked in yet and are not being reflected on this list.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

It only shows those who are checked in.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

It only shows those who are checked in.
Oh damn, well so much for that. Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2014, 7:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Hi ASers! I'm trying to decide if it's worth it flying on EK J. I am flying DTW-PVG, and on EK JI'd get my separate positioning flight and then do USA-DXB-PVG, or do USA-HKG-PVG on CX F, or simpler, just do DTW-DFW-PVG on AA J for 55K miles (is flying out of ORD or DFW better?). I feel like if I fly on EK I'd want to fly in F, but F awards aren't released until close to departure. However, I must plan the trip in advance, so getting tickets last minute is not an option. I have 100K AS miles, but I do not know if there is an option to buy the J ticket for 75K and then spend 25K later to upgrade? I also don't want to cancel the J last minute and rebook F for fear that someone might snag the F before me.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by agp423
Hi ASers! I'm trying to decide if it's worth it flying on EK J. I am flying DTW-PVG, and on EK JI'd get my separate positioning flight and then do USA-DXB-PVG, or do USA-HKG-PVG on CX F, or simpler, just do DTW-DFW-PVG on AA J for 55K miles (is flying out of ORD or DFW better?). I feel like if I fly on EK I'd want to fly in F, but F awards aren't released until close to departure. However, I must plan the trip in advance, so getting tickets last minute is not an option. I have 100K AS miles, but I do not know if there is an option to buy the J ticket for 75K and then spend 25K later to upgrade? I also don't want to cancel the J last minute and rebook F for fear that someone might snag the F before me.

Any suggestions?
You cover several things, so bullet points:
* I have the impression that EK J < CX J. I assume most people would rate AA J < EK J but haven't looked into it. I haven't flown any of those products longhaul so can't comment specifically.
* I don't know the relative ease of AA's different locations
* Some EK F awards are available in advance but not a ton. If it's not available now then I guess that doesn't help you (unless your dates are flexible I guess?)
* My impression from reading the forum is that it's not possible to just upgrade legs due to something about married segments. I don't know the details since I haven't encountered the issue myself. I'd read the EK thread to find out more (though it's long and meander-y) or hope someone else who knows more can answer.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:19 am

hello experts. I recently moved to Seattle and will be traveling to Vegas once a month on work travel indefinitely. The goal is to attain AS elite status and have some nice* er benefits and have more mileage earning opportunity. Currently i am trying to book all my travel + hotel stays via AS vacations website. Combined with the 1500 miles bonus per booking and double EQM to Vegas from Seattle, I am thinking I am on the right track.

Could you please suggest if there is anything else I can do in addition to have an advantage in earning rdm or eqm.

Thank you.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by su9062
hello experts. I recently moved to Seattle and will be traveling to Vegas once a month on work travel indefinitely. The goal is to attain AS elite status and have some nice* er benefits and have more mileage earning opportunity. Currently i am trying to book all my travel + hotel stays via AS vacations website. Combined with the 1500 miles bonus per booking and double EQM to Vegas from Seattle, I am thinking I am on the right track.

Could you please suggest if there is anything else I can do in addition to have an advantage in earning rdm or eqm.

Thank you.
Two other strategies:
  1. Pay for all your AS charges with the AS Visa to get 3 miles per dollar.
  2. Sign up for EasyBiz to get an additional company mileage account that accrues 1 mile per dollar (in addition to whatever you accrue for yourself with the flying and AS Visa purchases)
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by czpdx
Two other strategies:
  2. Sign up for EasyBiz to get an additional company mileage account that accrues 1 mile per dollar (in addition to whatever you accrue for yourself with the flying and AS Visa purchases)
Thank you.

I just applied for AS Visa last night and got the 30 day message ( i think because of the new address).

I am unable to sign up for the EasyBiz account, it is throwing me into a loop saying I already have an account but wouldn't let me login using my usual AS FF login info

Edit : Signed up now.

Last edited by su9062; Apr 19, 2014 at 11:25 am
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by czpdx
Two other strategies:
EasyBiz does not seem to have a vacation booking option. AS Vacations with 1500 miles bonus per booking for my monthly trips comes out a little ahead than the EasyBiz, but for standalone flight bookings EZBiz seems to be the best. Am i missing something here ?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:16 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
EasyBiz does not seem to have a vacation booking option. AS Vacations with 1500 miles bonus per booking for my monthly trips comes out a little ahead than the EasyBiz, but for standalone flight bookings EZBiz seems to be the best. Am i missing something here ?
I use easy biz for a me +1 business. Quite honestly if alaskaair.com would allow me to have the same reports available on easybiz and allow me to hold reservations I wouldnt even mess around with easybiz. You cant use my wallet credits with it but sure you get miles per dollar spent which I dont care about, and I think you have to spend $5,000 a year or every 2 years to keep it active. Not sure you can buy miles to add to the easybiz accrual either. SO unless you plan on flying a lot and spending lots of money to keep the miles active Id really reconsider banking miles in an easybiz account
Old Apr 20, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium

Thank you.
FWIW, AS vacations is often more expensive for LAS vacation packages than other sites such as LMTClub (free membership codes are available via a Google search). If you're paying for the travel, this could save you a good amount of money. For example, LMTClub is $189.88 cheaper than AS Vacations for a June 15-20 stay for 1 person at Planet Hollywood.

While earning AS miles is great, you might find that you'll get more benefits if you book hotels directly with your players club card so you can earn elite status on that. Elite status often means fewer lines, more discounts, and in the case of Total Rewards (Caesars) properties, no resort fees.

You can book a vacation package with as little as 1 night of a hotel to get bulk airfare rates. If you're booking published airfares as part of vacation packages, you're likely better off booking everything separately and having better cancellation policies as a result.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 5:35 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Is it not possible to book AA/CX/CX on the same award ticket? I would have to get the AA flight separately?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by agp423
Is it not possible to book AA/CX/CX on the same award ticket? I would have to get the AA flight separately?
Correct. AS awards do not allow you to mix partners (unless flying AS to the gateway).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.