FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   We Miss You - Come Back for 20% off Your Next Flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1122709-we-miss-you-come-back-20-off-your-next-flight.html)

HDK Sep 2, 2010 2:54 pm

We Miss You - Come Back for 20% off Your Next Flight

Interesting email from AS Mileage Plan addressed to my late Wife...

Get 20% Off Your Next Flight
We Miss You, XXXXXX!
We want to take a moment to thank you for your
membership in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™
– and to let you know that we've missed seeing
you onboard.
You could be on the doorstep of free travel, so to
get you on your way, we're giving you 20 percent off
your next ticket purchase* anywhere Alaska
Airlines or Horizon Air flies.

I'm not sure what the threshold is for this targeted promotion but it's been five and a half years since her last flight.

maokh Sep 2, 2010 5:43 pm

Interesting ... is it some sort of discount code?

HDK Sep 2, 2010 7:45 pm

Yes, it is a discount code...when you click on a hyperlink in the email message it takes you the AS new reservations page and the discount code field is auto populated with the code.

Terms of the discount code are as follows...

Discount: Valid for one discount of 20% off all base fare levels published at alaskaair.com. One discount allowed per reservation. Not applicable to Mileage Plan Award Reservations, Alaska Airlines Vacation packages, tour or contract fares. Any Discount Code value remaining after purchase is forfeited.

Reservations & Ticketing: Valid for new ticket purchases only at alaskaair.com. Discount Code cannot be applied to tickets that have already been purchased and issued. Discount Code is relinquished at time of ticketing and void for future purchases. Credit card required for purchase.

Passengers: Up to two people per Discount Code, traveling together and booked and ticketed at the same time in the same reservation and at the same fare. The recipient of this discount code must be one of the travelers.

Routes: Discount valid between all Alaska Airlines / Horizon Air cities, excluding Hawaii, Prudhoe Bay, on flights operated by Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air. Based on published fare routings and some cities may not be available.

Advance Purchase: Per applicable fare rules.

Purchase By: October 1, 2010.

Travel Valid From: September 1, 2010.

Travel Complete: December 1, 2010.
Blackout Dates: U.S. and Canada: November 23-24, 2010 and November 27-29, 2010. Mexico: November 19-21, 2010 and November 27-29, 2010.

beckoa Sep 3, 2010 12:17 am

Wirelessly posted (beckoa\'s PWP wonderous poster: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Saw these last year too... For infrequent mileageplan activity it seems...

beckoa Sep 6, 2010 8:35 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa\'s PWP wonderous poster: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

These were name-restricted, so unless they share your name, transferring it to another person won't work.

yashan Sep 7, 2010 11:06 am

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 14613043)

These were name-restricted, so unless they share your name, it won't work.

Are you sure? There doesn't seem to be any indication that it is only good for the person sent the code. It was partially posted above but here are the full T&C:

Discount Code Terms

code:
1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx9

Discount: Valid for one discount of 20% off all base fare levels published at alaskaair.com. One discount allowed per reservation. Not applicable to Mileage Plan Award Reservations, Alaska Airlines Vacation packages, tour or contract fares. Any Discount Code value remaining after purchase is forfeited.

Reservations & Ticketing: Valid for new ticket purchases only at alaskaair.com. Discount Code cannot be applied to tickets that have already been purchased and issued. Discount Code is relinquished at time of ticketing and void for future purchases. Credit card required for purchase.

Passengers: Up to two people per Discount Code, traveling together and booked and ticketed at the same time in the same reservation and at the same fare. The recipient of this discount code must be one of the travelers.

Routes: Discount valid between all Alaska Airlines / Horizon Air cities, excluding Hawaii, Prudhoe Bay, on flights operated by Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air. Based on published fare routings and some cities may not be available.

Advance Purchase: Per applicable fare rules.

Purchase By: October 1, 2010.

Travel Valid From: September 1, 2010.

Travel Complete: December 1, 2010.

Blackout Dates: U.S. and Canada: November 23-24, 2010 and November 27-29, 2010. Mexico: November 19-21, 2010 and November 27-29, 2010.

Minimum & Maximum Stay: Per applicable fare rules.

Flights: Valid only on flights operated by Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air. Not valid on codeshare flights.

Taxes, Fees and Surcharges: Passenger is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees, and surcharges, including checked baggage fees.

Combinability: Not valid with any other discounts, including Discount Codes, coupons, discount programs, MyAccount online discount, or other arrangements.

Changes and Refunds: Changes and refunds are allowed per the applicable fare rule and may result in the forfeiture of the Discount Code. Any changes for International tickets must be made by contacting the International Change and Reissue desk through Alaska Airlines Reservations. Once issued, tickets are not transferable.

Mileage Plan: Mileage Plan credit applies and upgrades are allowed.

Transferability: Discount Codes may not be sold, bought, bartered, auctioned or collected in bulk. Any deemed by Alaska or Horizon to have been distributed or acquired improperly will not be honored and traveler will be responsible for payment of full fare.

Additional Terms: All rules of alaskaair.com and the applicable published fare not mentioned within these terms and conditions apply.

Other: Discount Codes have no cash value and are not valid for travel. Lost or stolen Discount Codes cannot be replaced. Alaska/Horizon has the final authority regarding Discount Code redemption. Travel is subject to Alaska and Horizon contract of carriage. Terms and conditions as written herein are final and cannot be changed by any statement or representation of any unauthorized person, including employees of Alaska/Horizon or issuing organization. Other restrictions may apply and Alaska/Horizon reserves the right to suspend or change this offer without notice.

makfan Sep 7, 2010 12:34 pm

We miss you, so be sure to forward this coupon code to someone who already flies us often. :D

dave1013 Sep 7, 2010 12:37 pm

I think otherwise, i.e., it is only good for the person who was sent the code. I base this on the following:

The bolded portion above seems to tie the discount code to the person to whom it was sent. At least that is how I read it.

But hey, I've been wrong before and someone should try it out and report back.

yashan Sep 7, 2010 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by dave1013 (Post 14616338)
I think otherwise, i.e., it is only good for the person who was sent the code. I base this on the following:

The bolded portion above seems to tie the discount code to the person to whom it was sent. At least that is how I read it.

I stand corrected... I totally missed that part in the T&C.

beckoa Sep 7, 2010 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by yashan

Originally Posted by dave1013 (Post 14616338)

I stand corrected... I totally missed that part in the T&C.

:D

So one could take one of us as a guest though ;)

yashan Sep 7, 2010 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 14616900)

Gladly! If this guest is going to spring for both tix... :D

yashan Sep 7, 2010 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 14616900)

Gladly! If this guest is going to spring for both tix... :D

huge Jan 7, 2011 2:31 am

I noticed this email just as I was about to book a flight to Florida, on which Alaska had been showing up with good prices, and as soon as I went to check back on the prices, suddenly Alaska is no longer competitive with Delta on price anymore. Same thing on SEA-BOS, where my wife and I might be flying soon.

Do they send out the discount simultaneously with killing off some of their best fares? Or did I just get unlucky?

The T&C mean that if a single flight segment is on a partner, then the discount is void, right?

BLI-Flyer Jan 7, 2011 8:28 am

Originally Posted by huge (Post 15602512)
The T&C mean that if a single flight segment is on a partner, then the discount is void, right?

Correct, see post #6: Flights: Valid only on flights operated by Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air. Not valid on codeshare flights.

jackal Jan 7, 2011 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer (Post 15603882)
Correct, see post #6: Flights: Valid only on flights operated by Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air. Not valid on codeshare flights.

Interestingly, when looking at options to use my 50% off PFD code, I tried booking ANC-MCO, MCO-DCA, and DCA-ANC. I was half hoping to find that middle section return an MCO-SEA-DCA routing.

Instead, it returned a routing on AA, meaning I was flying AS+AA+AS. And yet the system didn't reject the discount code. Instead, it simply applied the discount to the AS portions and not the AA portions. I was rather impressed. (I ended up booking a different routing, so I can't go back and double check the details.)

It's possible the T&C for the PFD discount are substantially different than this one, though I would be surprised if that were the case.