FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Companion Fare FAQ - Bank of America Mileage Plan Visa (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1118431-companion-fare-faq-bank-america-mileage-plan-visa.html)

flyer206 Aug 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Companion Fare FAQ - Bank of America Mileage Plan Visa

[Content moved to the in-thread wiki, with credit and thanks to flyer206. --jackal, Co-Moderator, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum]

AKSteveB Aug 20, 2010 9:30 pm

One disagreement. Upgrade status is based on the primary traveler. IMNSHO, it is worth the 100 dollar risk to have a shot at the upgrade.

baliktad Aug 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Great post flyer206! I would ask the mods to retitle this "Companion Fare FAQ" so that hopefully it's more enticing for those who have questions.

People show up here all the time with questions, usually about upgrading with a companion fare; hopefully this will help answer those without new threads.

zhankoye Aug 20, 2010 10:13 pm

companion fare question

Approx. a year ago, I used a companion fare with a R/T first class ticket involving three legs. We used 1 segment and were unable to complete the rest of the trip. I have held the trip until now, hoping to finish it in the late fall. They say that although the first class ticket is refundable, the companion fare will expire in September. Is this true and why should it be with a first class ticket? Thanks!

jackal Aug 21, 2010 12:17 am

Originally Posted by baliktad (Post 14519191)
Great post flyer206! I would ask the mods to retitle this "Companion Fare FAQ" so that hopefully it's more enticing for those who have questions.

People show up here all the time with questions, usually about upgrading with a companion fare; hopefully this will help answer those without new threads.

Done (great idea!), and I'm also bookmarking this for inclusion into our hopefully-eventually-forthcoming FAQ thread. :)

Duckouttahere Nov 1, 2010 12:21 pm

Bump. I think this thread would be a good consolidated thread for the Companion Fare. Just wanted to verify the part about being able to change the companion? My dad was supposed to fly with me to the UW at UO game this week but can't make it. Can I call in and add my buddy to the flight reservation?

horizonair Nov 1, 2010 3:52 pm

Yes, you can change the name on the companion for just the 100.00 change fee unless the original or new person are MVP Golds. If it's the regular person you wanted to change it would be 100.00 plus the current fare.

beckoa Nov 1, 2010 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by horizonair (Post 15055014)
Yes, you can change the name on the companion for just the 100.00 change fee unless the original or new person are MVP Golds. If it's the regular person you wanted to change it would be 100.00 plus the current fare.

Just did this myself - changed one of the travelers and the destination... :cool: ($100 for 2nd pax as the res was changed, but no name fee change for me due to status (MVPG))

mrx900 Nov 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Fully refunded F ticket + Companion Cert

I canceled my flight for T'giving via phone, and she fully refunded my F ticket + companion cert...back into my account.

dawtips Nov 27, 2010 6:57 pm

Is the companion ticket available for use every yearly billing cycle? I got the card in February '10, used the ticket in March '10, will I get a new ticket in February '11?

jackal Nov 27, 2010 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by dawtips (Post 15310750)
Is the companion ticket available for use every yearly billing cycle? I got the card in February '10, used the ticket in March '10, will I get a new ticket in February '11?

Yes. It may not necessarily come exactly on your anniversary date, but it should be close.

mevl Dec 27, 2010 11:49 am

I still need clarification

Extending a companion fare
Tickets must be booked by the expiry date but can be for travel up to 330 days in advance. So book 2 full-fare or first class tickets for travel 11 months in advance to any destination on AS. When you have decided when and where you want to go, call AS to change the tickets. Since the tickets are full-fare or first class the changes will be no charge. The tickets can be changed to a lower level ticket including hot fare and the destination can be changed as well. If the tickets are cheaper then the amount will be refunded to the same credit card.
Please make this super simple for me. My companion ticket expires tomorrow.

If I book a cheap full fare flight from BLI to SEA ($400 for 2) for Nov 2011 and later change it to BLI to HNL does the companion still get to fly to HNL for only $100, or do I just end up with a
$400 credit to buy 2 flights - which is no advantage at all really.

missydarlin Dec 27, 2010 11:55 am

Originally Posted by mevl (Post 15530974)
Please make this super simple for me. My companion ticket expires tomorrow.

If I book a cheap full fare flight from BLI to SEA ($400 for 2) for Nov 2011 and later change it to BLI to HNL does the companion still get to fly to HNL for only $100, or do I just end up with a
$400 credit to buy 2 flights - which is no advantage at all really.

your companion will still get to fly to HNL for $100

mevl Dec 27, 2010 3:58 pm

Thanks for your help Missy!

arcticgrin Dec 28, 2010 11:21 am

Can campanion fare be used for international travel like to SJD?