Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Terms of Fast Track/Challenges for AS Corporate Accounts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2023, 11:57 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum, UA Gold

"4 roundtrips (8 qualifying flight segments) to earn MVP Gold" sorry without giving away my employer, I've only included a snippet from the terms.

I reached out to a customer rep, and they didn't give me a clear answer other than a roundtrip constituted as a minimum of two segments, to origin and back.

I was trying to clarify was the "4 roundtrips" language just to be more aligned with normal travelers to understand. What trip me up was the parathesis saying "(8 qualifying flight segments)" which to me means to clarify further what is meant by "4 roundtrips".

If it was 8 qualifying flight segments, technically a single roundtrip with 3 layover stop SFO->LAS->PDX->SEA->YVR and then reverse coming back to origin is technically "(8 qualifying flight segments)", but 1 roundtrip.

What do you all think?

Last edited by dayone; Apr 10, 2024 at 7:31 am Reason: Dark mode readabilty.
Old May 23, 2023, 1:27 pm

Without the full terms and conditions available, I am leaning towards the latter. With that said, I would look through the terms and conditions again to see if there is any verbiage regarding minimum flight distances.
askyamaz likes this.
Old May 23, 2023, 4:11 pm

Segments is what matters. I finished a fast track recently and got credit for segments that were not part of roundtrips. Emailing [email protected] with my questions about the challenge got me answers after a short delay. (3-5 days I believe)
Old May 23, 2023, 4:48 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K
Can confirm it's segments that matters. The "round trips" is to try and provide more familiar language to travelers as you said. To your example, long as the flight number changes between each leg, that would be 8 segments. Did 20 segments last year to get my status this way. (5 which were in a rt to BET and 4 on a rt to SJC)

Edit: I bring up the flight number because the milk run counts as one segment for miles and segments since it's all one flight number.
askyamaz likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 7:36 am

Is it truly segments or is it trips/flights? i.e does a SFO-JFK trip count as 1 segment, but if it's booked with a connection in SEA count as 2 segments? Or would it only count as 2 segments if you booked SFO-SEA, SEA-JFK on separate tickets?
Old May 24, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tweed Jet Set
Is it truly segments or is it trips/flights? i.e does a SFO-JFK trip count as 1 segment, but if it's booked with a connection in SEA count as 2 segments? Or would it only count as 2 segments if you booked SFO-SEA, SEA-JFK on separate tickets?
Every AS marketed* & operated take-off & landing is a segment providing the flight number changes between flights with the exception of a same flight number returning to origin. How it is ticketed is irrelevant.

SFO-JFK = 1 segment
SFO-SEA-JFK = 2 segments.
JFK-SFO-SEA-FAI-SEA-SFO-JFK = 6 segments.

*AS Marketed means an AS flight number. That doesn't necessarily mean that AS was the ticketing/selling carrier. I have had AS marketed flights ticketed by AA on 001 ticket stock. Since they are AS Marketed, they too, earn segments.

James
askyamaz and Gallibep like this.
Old May 24, 2023, 10:10 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks all for the confidence.

Originally Posted by doublemazaa
Segments is what matters. I finished a fast track recently and got credit for segments that were not part of roundtrips. Emailing [email protected] with my questions about the challenge got me answers after a short delay. (3-5 days I believe)
I'll reach out! Cheers
Old May 29, 2023, 7:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium (LT Silver), UA Silver
Another data point: for my corporate status match it was also segments. Spamming extra connections in Portland was a quick and dirty way to double the segments for barely an extra $30 per trip.
askyamaz likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 1:22 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mtxing
Another data point: for my corporate status match it was also segments. Spamming extra connections in Portland was a quick and dirty way to double the segments for barely an extra $30 per trip.
Nice! Thanks for sharing, I'll take your word for it.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: AS
I'm currently at 7 segments in the same challenge. Any idea if getting MVPG (at 8 segments) will provide 4 GGUs (as it would have outside of the challenge)?
Old Jun 9, 2023, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by MountainRider
I'm currently at 7 segments in the same challenge. Any idea if getting MVPG (at 8 segments) will provide 4 GGUs (as it would have outside of the challenge)?
​​​​​​

Yes, when you earn gold you'll get the GGUs. Mine expire 12/31/24.
MountainRider likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 5:03 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Corporate Status Challenge

Just received a status challenge for AS specific to the organization I work for. What I'm wondering is whether anyone here that already had status has taken part in one of these challenges before. I'm MVPG with AS and might meet 75K for 2024. If I don't hit 75K by end of year, is there any downside to registering for this promotion? The fine print doesn't specify anything about current status holders.

*Complimentary upgrades are not available when booking a Saver fare, in X class of service.
Only Mileage Plan members who work at XXXXXXXXXXX, as indicated by a company email address, are eligible for this offer. Eligible members who register for this promotion will be upgraded to MVP status and will retain that status for 180 days from the day is was received. Registered members must complete 2 round-trips (4 qualifying flight segments) between date of registration and 180 days from that date in order to extend their MVP status, 4 roundtrips (8 qualifying flight segments) to earn MVP Gold, or 10 round-trips (20 qualifying flight segments) to earn MVP Gold 75K. If you begin your challenge before June 30 of a calendar year, and the flight requirement is met during the initial 180-day period, you will qualify for status through the end of the applicable calendar year. If you begin your challenge between July 1 and December 31 of a calendar year and the flight requirement is met during the initial 180-day period, you will keep your status through the end of the next calendar year. To qualify, flights must be marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines or on behalf of Alaska by Horizon Air or SkyWest, and must be credited to the member's Mileage Plan account. Qualifying flights must take place between the date registered for this promotion and 180 days from that date. Codeshare flights, flights on Alaska Global Partners or oneworld partners, free or award travel, or on Saver Fares, which are flights booked in X class of service, are not qualifying flight segments under this promotion. Members who earn MVP Gold 75K status as part of this special offer are not eligible for the 50,000 bonus miles associated with qualifying for MVP Gold 75K status. A member may only register and participate for this promotion one time. The fast track to status offer cannot be combined or extended with other status promotions. All terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan program apply. Offer subject to change without notice.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 6:23 pm

A member may only register and participate for this promotion one time.
I think this is the biggest downside... I believe these challenges are one time only. If you use your challenge now, you may end up wanting it in the future if you take a year off for traveling for some reason.

So, assuming you'll stay Gold this year regardless, the question will be whether or not you can earn 75k on the challenge, and if so, if having 75k instead of Gold for 17 months will be worth having used your one challenge.
VirtuousKangaroo likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2023, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by doublemazaa
I think this is the biggest downside... I believe these challenges are one time only. If you use your challenge now, you may end up wanting it in the future if you take a year off for traveling for some reason.

So, assuming you'll stay Gold this year regardless, the question will be whether or not you can earn 75k on the challenge, and if so, if having 75k instead of Gold for 17 months will be worth having used your one challenge.
Good point. I did in fact use a different promotion early this year to get to MVPG for 2023 as I barely flew at all in 2022. I might not even qualify for this, but I do wonder if they really mean "concurrent" status challenges. This status challenge starts January 2024 and I'm guessing if I'm close to 75K in 2023, I'll get a targeted challenge (or buy up) to get to 75K as I have in the past. Either way, 20 segments in 180 days to reach 75K sounds enticing given the typically short segment lengths I fly.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL Platinum,WN A-list, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I've seen some successes reported by people that they've done multiple of these fast track/status challenge.
ft543 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.