Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Companion Fare FAQ - Bank of America Mileage Plan Visa

Old May 14, 2013, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ashill
Based on an original post by flyer206

I summarized a few posts on the companion fare. I initially had some questions and went through some of the posts as well as asked Missydarlin. So I thought I would post it for future people. If there is something incorrect or perhaps is useful for the next person please add or let me know.

Extending a companion fare
Tickets must be booked by the expiry date but can be for travel up to 330 days in advance. So book 2 full-fare tickets (coach fare only with new certificates issued after Aug. 1, 2012) for travel 11 months in advance to any destination on AS. When you have decided when and where you want to go, call AS to change the tickets. Since the tickets are full-fare or first class the changes will be no charge. The tickets can be changed to a lower level ticket including hot fare and the destination can be changed as well. If the tickets are cheaper then the amount will be refunded to the same credit card.
However, the ticket can not be extended for another 330 days. Meaning, you can not keep on extending the companion certificate. Hence travel must be completed within the initial 330 day window of when you booked your initial ticket.
The business companion fare however is different. Travel must be completed by expiry date although it is said that they may let it slide for 30 days.
Business companion fare expiration question

One of the travelers can not go
If the revenue passenger can not go then the companion passenger can not go. The T&C of the companion fare is that the companion must travel with the revenue passenger. Changes can be made by calling AS but change fees apply. Changes can now be done on-line. If the companion passenger can not go, the revenue passenger can still go. If you want to use the companion certificate another time, a call has to be made to AS.
Name changes are allowed but must be called in for change and is subject to change fee($125 --exempt if the name change involves a passenger who has status).

Should status flyer be the revenue or companion ticket.
Since the companion ticket is dependent on the revenue ticket, the status flyer should be the companion fare unless the tickets are in full fare or first class. Why? If the companion traveler can not fly the companion coupon can be saved for future use. The status passenger is allowed to make changes at no charge. THERE IS DEBATE ABOUT THIS ANSWER

Do I have to be one of the passengers flying?
No, the T&C states that you must either be one of the passengers or the credit card booking the tickets be in your name. One poster mentioned that he did not travel or use his credit card when he let his father use it. However it that case I believe they shared the same last name.

Do you have to use the AS airline credit card when booking the companion fare?
Through September 30, 2019, no. "For companion fares issued on or after October 1, 2019, both the primary fare and the companion fare must be purchased using your Alaska Airlines credit card." Exceptions: Fare can also be paid with your Wallet funds or AS Gift cards.

Does the companion fare accrue points.
YES, both tickets accrue points on any frequent flyer plan that gives out points on AS flights ie AS, AA, DL, CX, BA etc

Is the companion fare upgradeable?
YES, depending on first class upgrade (U) inventory and by priority based on the status of the traveler. There has to be 2 upgradeable seats available. If using paper certificates there has to be 2 certificates. Both travelers must upgrade or none at all. At T-24, you will be added to the flight upgrade list upon checkin per normal procedure and upgrades will process in the usual order of priority.
companion fare and upgrade question

When will I get my Companion certificate? 
As soon as you get approved for the credit card the certificate will appear in your Alaska airline online account. As of June 2016, the initial companion fare will post shortly after the statement where you reach the minimum spend (currently $1000) closes. Another will appear around the 1 year anniversary of your credit card. JULY 2020 UPDATE: spend is now $2,000 within 90 days.

Cancelling a companion fare
Rebook=kept in system however change fees may apply based on fare purchased.
Refund=gone

What class of fares can be booked?
All fares can be booked from "hot fares" to "first class" but only on Alaska/Horizon operated flights. It is not eligible for AA, DL etc operated flights. (coach fare only with new certificates issued after Aug. 1, 2012). You cannot purchase F but you can upgrade to F after purchase or try your luck at free upgrades if you have status.

Can the companion fare be used on a one-way, round trip, open jaw, OR multi-city?
Any of the above. Also, if you purchase RT, you can subsequently call to change to a one-way ticket and potentially get a credit for the fare that applies to the cancelled segments.

I don't want to change my travel now, is there a way to cancel & reissue the code?

It's not technically "reissued." It's basically encased in amber for reuse.

If you change more than 60 days from the date of travel, AND the companion has no status (sorry, spouse), you can reuse the companion cert by calling in, having the reservation split, and then re-deposting the primary traveler's airfare into My Wallet and keeping a record of the companion traveler's ticket number separately.

Then, to reuse the companion cert for the same companion on a different itinerary, you need to phone in and make the primary traveler's reservation, and pay with a credit card for the primary traveler's ticket. No My Wallet funds can be used. Then the companion's cert and fees are reattached and any difference in fees and taxes are collected/refunded.

If the primary traveler decides that he/she does not want to reuse the companion cert after canceling the original reservation (as long as it's done before the value of the companion cert/fees/taxes expires), the value of the fees/taxes of the companion cert can be redeposited into the primary traveler's My Wallet. But the cert itself is forfeited.
(from Seattlenerd. Thank you!)

What are the Terms and Conditions as issued by Alaska Air
Discount: Valid for one $99 USD Companion Ticket when traveling with another passenger on a paid airfare. Both passengers must be booked in the same itinerary, at the same fare, traveling together, and ticketed at the same time. Valid for round-trip or one-way travel. Valid on published fares. Not applicable to Mileage Plan Award Reservations, Alaska Airlines Vacation packages, tour or contract fares.

Reservations & Ticketing: Valid for new ticket purchases through alaskaair.com, Alaska Airlines Reservations, or Horizon Air Reservations. The Companion Ticket Discount Code is redeemed at time of ticketing and is void for future changes or purchases. Traveler and/or Purchaser name must match the name issued on the Discount Code. Credit card required for purchase.

Passengers: Valid for one $99 USD Companion Ticket when traveling with a second passenger on a paid fare, traveling together, and booked and ticketed at the same time in the same reservation.

Routes: Valid systemwide on flights operated by Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air.

Advance Purchase: Per applicable fare rule.

Purchase By: Expiration date on Discount Code.

Blackout Dates: Per applicable fare rule.

Minimum & Maximum Stay: Per applicable fare rules.

Flights: Valid only on flights operated by Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air and on PenAir between Anchorage and Dutch Harbor. Not valid on codeshare flights.

Taxes, Fees and Surcharges: Passenger is responsible for all applicable taxes, fees, and surcharges, including checked baggage fees.

Combinability: Not valid with any other discounts, including Discount Codes, coupons, discount programs, MyAccount online discount, or other arrangements.

Changes and Refunds: Changes and refunds are allowed per the applicable fare rule and may result in the forfeiture of the Discount Code.

Mileage Plan: Mileage Plan credit applies and upgrades are allowed.

Transferability: Discount Codes and tickets are not transferable. They may not be given to another individual, and may not be sold, bought, bartered, auctioned or collected in bulk. Any deemed by Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air to have been distributed or acquired improperly will not be honored and traveler will be liable for payment of full fare.

Additional Terms: All rules of Alaska Airlines, Horizon Air, alaskaair.com, and the applicable fare rules not mentioned within these terms and conditions apply.

Other: Lost or stolen Discount Codes or tickets cannot be replaced. Alaska/Horizon has the final authority regarding redemption. Travel is subject to Alaska and Horizon contract of carriage. Terms and conditions as written herein are final and cannot be changed by any statement or representation of any unauthorized person, including employees of Alaska/Horizon or issuing organization. Other restrictions may apply and Alaska/Horizon reserves the right to suspend or change this offer without notice.

Print Wikipost

Companion Fare FAQ - Bank of America Mileage Plan Visa

Old Mar 25, 2016, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Cannot find an answer to this, help please :-)

Have a BOA CP ticket booked. CP expires next week. Flight is not until 12/16. Can I still change the flight like I would if I had purchase it, or will the expired CP prevent that?

Thanks
Yes, you may make changes.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:35 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP
If I cancel a ticket (and companion ticket) within first 24 hours, do I get the companion code back?

Has anyone done this?
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:18 pm

Programs: AS
You won't get it back.
You lose discount codes if cancelled, even within 24 hours. I learned this the hard way. Called MVP line, no help there, sorry.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by jackal
Yes, you may make changes.
Thanks. I guess I am confused by this statement on the website. "The Companion Fare Discount Code is redeemed at time of ticketing and is void for future changes or purchases.

I had to book refundable fare, that was all that was available. Will I be able to change it to the lower non-refundable fare if it becomes available?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by tatterdema
Thanks. I guess I am confused by this statement on the website. "The Companion Fare Discount Code is redeemed at time of ticketing and is void for future changes or purchases.

I had to book refundable fare, that was all that was available. Will I be able to change it to the lower non-refundable fare if it becomes available?
Yep. I've done it myself.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by jackal
Yep. I've done it myself.
^ Thanks Jackal. Puts my mind at ease. And since it is refundable, I assume in an emergency, I can cancel and get a full refund, although I will lose the CP.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i have a ticket booked on a companion fare that i might cancel. i am the primary traveler (MVPG) and the companion has no status. the 60 day window is creeping up soon. if i cancel inside 60 days, will i be able to get a credit certificate for the full value of my ticket + companion, or only my ticket?

i realize i will not get the companion code back and i do not care at this point.

a secondary question is, if i decide to travel, can i cancel the companion off the ticket and get a credit certificate back for their $99 'fare' plus taxes, while leaving my ticket intact? i would rather not cancel the whole thing and rebook because i'm already upgraded with GGUs (transcon).
Old May 6, 2016, 10:12 am

I have a companion fare code to use by May 16. Information at the top of this thread says that once booked, changes can be made but can not be extended further than 330 days out.
The Companion Fare Discount Code FAQ on Alaska's website states 12 months
"The expiration date listed on your companion fare discount code indicates the date by which you must redeem your discount code and purchase your fare. Once ticketed, travel can be completed after the expiration date. 12 months from date of issue."
Does anyone have experience with this?

Last edited by CanuckFan; May 6, 2016 at 10:13 am Reason: Missed a few words
Old May 13, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Gifting Code?

Looking to gift a code to a co-worker but trying to figure out how to arrange it. I know I can pay with my credit card for their travel but i'd prefer to avoid money exchange between us. Any way to have them say get an e-gift card in my name and them use that at time of booking? or is that just a code and not tied to a name? Or would that work if the gift cards cover full cost?
Old May 15, 2016, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i have a ticket booked on a companion fare that i might cancel. i am the primary traveler (MVPG) and the companion has no status. the 60 day window is creeping up soon. if i cancel inside 60 days, will i be able to get a credit certificate for the full value of my ticket + companion, or only my ticket?

i realize i will not get the companion code back and i do not care at this point.

a secondary question is, if i decide to travel, can i cancel the companion off the ticket and get a credit certificate back for their $99 'fare' plus taxes, while leaving my ticket intact? i would rather not cancel the whole thing and rebook because i'm already upgraded with GGUs (transcon).
I'm looking for the answer to this too. I suspect you have to pay the $125 penalty for your companion as they don't have status. Trying to cancel online, there's a $125 payable for my companion but not for myself
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Does anyone know how many legs the companion fare works with in a multi-city itinerary? I searched the forum and couldn't find it. I have tried it with three, but just curious if anyone has gotten any extreme use.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by samosa
Does anyone know how many legs the companion fare works with in a multi-city itinerary? I searched the forum and couldn't find it. I have tried it with three, but just curious if anyone has gotten any extreme use.
My wife and I just finished the following itinerary (all on ONE companion cert):

ABQ-SEA-PDX (stopover) PDX-BOS-PDX (stopover) PDX-SEA-KTN

Not too crazy, but still a good use of the cert....we've gotten to the point where we pretty much can book 100% of our revenue travel using our companion certs and spreading them out among 2 or 3 separate trips using multi-city....saves us lots of $$$ and ensures that BOTH of us maintain our elite status.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
My wife and I just finished the following itinerary (all on ONE companion cert):

ABQ-SEA-PDX (stopover) PDX-BOS-PDX (stopover) PDX-SEA-KTN

Not too crazy, but still a good use of the cert....we've gotten to the point where we pretty much can book 100% of our revenue travel using our companion certs and spreading them out among 2 or 3 separate trips using multi-city....saves us lots of $$$ and ensures that BOTH of us maintain our elite status.
Now that is impressive. How much was the fare for primary PAX?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Now that is impressive. How much was the fare for primary PAX?
Not sure, I'll go back and check...the PDX-KTN fare actually dropped before we flew it so we actually were able to get it re-fared with the lower fare and it didn't mess up the companion cert. The key is to add a one-way return to the beginning of a regular round trip and another one-way outbound at the end. We used another companion cert for KTN-SEA-PDX (stopover) PDX-SEA-CHS-SEA-PDX.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Awesome -- Thanks.

Last edited by samosa; Jun 2, 2016 at 10:56 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.