Wiki Posts
Search

MVP vs. MPVG?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
MVP vs. MPVG?

Hi Everyone - this is my first post ever So excited!

I'm looking forward to hitting MVP on AS (my first elite ever), due largely to a DL flight I'm taking this summer (PDX-JFK-SVO). My planned flying this year will leave me with about 30,000 mi on AS + partners.

My question is whether or not you think it's worth trying to come up with 20,000 in mileage runs from Oct-Dec. to hit MVPG. The MVPG benefits sure look nice. I feel like I could definitely justify a mileage run to FLL or something if I only needed ~5000... But 20,000 just seems a little daunting.

Anyway, any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
-bill
Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:29 pm

Do you fly enough to warrant having MVP Gold? I mean, anyone would rather be MVP Gold than MVP, but if you spend the $$$ to get it, and you don't fly enough to begin with, then I don't see the need. But if you are looking for "professional advice" to show to the other half to convince them it's a good idea (or something along those lines), then sure, it's a great idea to go for the gold!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
And welcome to Flyertalk and the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum!

Visit here often to keep abreast of the latest goings-on with AS and musings by the many knowledgeable frequenters of this forum!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL GM, DL SkyClub
If you're going to be that far off, it might be a better idea to just get MVP then pay for the Full Flex fares next year. That way you're getting your upgrades and not spending the extra money on the 20,000 miles of flying this year but still getting the main benefit IMHO...the upgrades.

Also, if you're going to fly a lot of miles on DL, maybe by next year there will be some sort of upgrading going on...but don't count on it
Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:35 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I agree with United757...

If you ask me:
  • Nobody->MVP Definitely worth it
  • MVP-> MVPG Definitely worth it if you are anticipating to fly at least 30-35K next year
  • MVPG->MVPG75K Not really, based on the benefits listed the difference is pretty marginal

Some of us are shooting for MVPG75K because it is the inaugural year for MVPG75K

I second dave1013's welcome!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies and welcomes!

Do you who are MVPG usually just pay the "Value" fare and upgrade, or pay "hot deals" and use the 72 hour upgrade window and hope there's space?

As I look at the fares, there really isn't much difference between paying "Full Flex" (Y or YAS) for the mvp upgrade and just straight up paying for F...
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:01 pm

Depends what fare is available. If there is a hot deals fare, I'll buy it. (If it's a long enough flight and U space is available, I'll use a cert on it.) If there is little difference between a bargain and a value fare, I'll get the value fare. Normally I buy the cheapest fare, and I have a 100% upgrade percentage on Alaska, so I'm doing something right.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:10 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
The vast majority of folks buy the cheapest fare available all the time. It's rarely worth it to buy up to F or a qualifying fare to sit in F domestically.

Remember that FF programs are structured around a business traveller whose company is paying for travel. They are not designed to save money for the traveller who is paying for all his own travel.

As a Gold, I buy Hot Deals or Bargain fares almost exclusively and wait to be upgraded. I think I've missed 2 upgrades this year in 70+ segments that included 4 Hawaii flights and several trans- & mid-cons.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
This is good info. I'm in the middle of my own decision as I am 200 miles from MVPG and after being so excited about finally making it, I am being moved across country to Norfolk in November. Now my MVPG will be worthless. I still have to fly West to see the wife in Seattle, but now I'm pondering AA or something else. I just don't know how to get on an AS flight without it costing 1900 dollars for the routing.
It's such a shame to finally get a great airline and have a good status only to be moved to somewhere completely different.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like MVPG is pretty reliable for the 72 hr upgrade... I'd be intersted to hear from regular MVP how often they get / miss upgrades with only a 48 hr window instead of 72?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hkbill79
Sounds like MVPG is pretty reliable for the 72 hr upgrade... I'd be intersted to hear from regular MVP how often they get / miss upgrades with only a 48 hr window instead of 72?
I've been MVP all year, and on 52 segments I've only been upgraded 4 times. I seem to have bad luck.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by hkbill79
Another welcome to hkbill79 ^

I'd say that it depends on your routes... Up & down west coast good odds, transcons & to/from Hawaii are going to be harder... and flights to ANC... very difficult on SEA-ANC.

But it is quite the addiction
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by longdrelation
This is good info. I'm in the middle of my own decision as I am 200 miles from MVPG and after being so excited about finally making it, I am being moved across country to Norfolk in November. Now my MVPG will be worthless. I still have to fly West to see the wife in Seattle, but now I'm pondering AA or something else. I just don't know how to get on an AS flight without it costing 1900 dollars for the routing.
It's such a shame to finally get a great airline and have a good status only to be moved to somewhere completely different.
Well that's fun

At least with MVPG you could status match to someone else... and have a bit more (although AA is a bit different- they deal with 'challenges')
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by longdrelation
Ooo that's rough. You could always wait until you were gold, then do a status match to DL or do a challenge with AA or UA. I don't know about US...but I really hope you don't have to fly them!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:48 pm
Suspended

More upgrades and more miles. Flying 20k miles just for this will cost you. Assume 4 mileage runs and you're looking at $1000 likely plus parking, driving, and 4 days of your life gone.

The payoff is that the miles you fly next year will have the greater bonus applied and you'll get upgrades. Unless you pay for upgrades now, the value of them likely isnt' that great. You're making MVP this year largely due to one flight. If you don't have a similar flight next year, don't bother. Live your life. People who get stuck flying need those benefits.

The biggest benefit, skipping regular security lines, you already get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.