Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MVP Gold Upgrades on Delta...?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
MVP Gold Upgrades on Delta...?

It's been my understanding that Delta plans to make upgrades available to MVP Golds in much the same fashion that Northwest once did. If I recall correctly, this was to commence in August.

I was talking with a fellow Gold member recently (Non-FTer) who was of the opinion that this is unlikely to happen anytime soon if at all. Has anyone heard anything about this or does anyone (perhaps an AS employee) have any updates?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:49 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Most recent update in the Spokane MVPG Lunch thread

I'm with your friend, FWIW - at this point the rollout has been delayed so many times it seems more like I'll believe it when I see it. However, in my multitude of DL segments since late February, I asked each time about upgrades at check in or at the gate (hoping I might find a sympathetic former NW agent). From February - May I got pretty much variations on NO. In June, on 2+ separate occasions, agents told me that they were able to do courtesy upgrades for Alaska elites, but that the F cabin was full. Seemed almost like an announcement had come out (but may have been just coincidence). Since my general experience (up to and since that point) was that Delta agents can't do anything the computer doesn't tell them to do, I do wonder if such courtesy upgrades at the gate are happening (in the rare occasion an F seat is open). Anyone getting upgraded on DL?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
The DL site that talks about "what's next" (I'll have to look it up again, I had the link on an earlier post) says that some DL benefits are not coming until September because of IT issues. I would assume that upgrades fall under the IT issue category?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 7:29 am

Delta/UG

A couple of weeks or so I was upgraded gratuitously on 2 segments; I just assumed that was the way it is.

On a flight overnight from LAS to YYZ on July 13, I had a discussion with the gate agent who nicely but firmly declined and said I was not eligible and the computer would not accept it. I then asked her to check because I was then under a misapprehension of entitlement. She checked everywhere and got a Supervisor involved. Accepted her decision to not recognize AS MVPG.

Was in the process of boarding (had a very good exit row seat) when I was paged.

Same agent said that because I had said "it was not the end of the world, and no big deal - don't worry about", that she extended the upgrade and thanked me very much for "flying with us."

End of strory.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:30 am

Upgrades will not commence until end of Aug or beginning of September...

My experience is the same as ANC-RED EYE when trying to ask for an upgrade at the gate... Since the first target date [March 31st], I have missed 8 out of 16 upgrades and most of them resulted in the flight leaving with some F seats open... Every time I miss an upgrade, I get bitterer and more frustrated.

I am begging AS to keep the deadline targeted for end of August... DL's IT needs to get their act together...
Old Jul 21, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm getting frustrated as well. I hope when they finally get the IT issues settled, that DL issues a Memo to all it's employees about the agreement. There is nothing worse than having a policy that no one knows about. My recent DL flight from HNL-SFO (redeye) went out with empty F seats. They had announced at the gate that they were selling UG's to F for $150 so I figured it didn't hurt to ask for a complimentary UG for a partner elite. No luck. I wasn't expecting it because I believe Hawaii is specifically excluded from the agreement but I figured that since Y was full and I believe they were looking for volunteers to give up their Y seat that I may get lucky. No go. In fact, the Gate Dragon at Delta strolled through the gate area and told everyone with a roller bag that it needed to be checked. I hate checking my bag because I hate waiting for it at baggage claim. Sure enough, there was plenty of overhead bin space and I ended up waiting 30-45 minutes for my bag at SFO.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold, ICH P Club Plat, Hertz#1 5Star, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
I'm getting frustrated as well. I hope when they finally get the IT issues settled, that DL issues a Memo to all it's employees about the agreement. There is nothing worse than having a policy that no one knows about. My recent DL flight from HNL-SFO (redeye) went out with empty F seats. They had announced at the gate that they were selling UG's to F for $150 so I figured it didn't hurt to ask for a complimentary UG for a partner elite. No luck. I wasn't expecting it because I believe Hawaii is specifically excluded from the agreement but I figured that since Y was full and I believe they were looking for volunteers to give up their Y seat that I may get lucky. No go. In fact, the Gate Dragon at Delta strolled through the gate area and told everyone with a roller bag that it needed to be checked. I hate checking my bag because I hate waiting for it at baggage claim. Sure enough, there was plenty of overhead bin space and I ended up waiting 30-45 minutes for my bag at SFO.
150 bucks extra for F on a 6 hour flight. Why in the world didn't you just do it?
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by AKSteveB
150 bucks extra for F on a 6 hour flight. Why in the world didn't you just do it?
You have to be in K fare or higher
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Duckouttahere
Well DL doesn't even upgrade its own elites on flights to Hawaii... understand you were looking for an 'op-up'... but yeah- DL in whY ex-HNL is
Old Jul 21, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Mid-sept is the latest new date ive heard...that was last week.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP-Gold, Hertz Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
My recent experience has been garbage as well -

Checkin in on DL flights in MSP and ORD last week I was advised that I would have not upgrade potential (open seats available in F) and that I would have to pay for my bags ($60 for two bags) - as always I was curtious with the gate agent thinking this would get me favors, it didn't.

In both cases I was advised by the agents that no agreements are imminent and that it could still be months but that they are, in fact, "working on it".
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Does the upgrade (and free bags?) benefit just apply to MVPG, or are they extending to MVP as well?

I know that premium seat selection (delta.com) now works for MVP, which is cool.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dordal
Does the upgrade (and free bags?) benefit just apply to MVPG, or are they extending to MVP as well?

I know that premium seat selection (delta.com) now works for MVP, which is cool.
I think this is yet to be seen... but with NW it did.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by beckoa
I think this is yet to be seen... but with NW it did.
I'm guessing it does, because on the MVP/MVPG benefits page on alaskaair.com, it shows complimentary upgrades on Delta as "coming soon" for both MVP and MVPG.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by dabears1020
I'm guessing it does, because on the MVP/MVPG benefits page on alaskaair.com, it shows complimentary upgrades on Delta as "coming soon" for both MVP and MVPG.
Understand. Issue would be that DL's FO's are not scheduled to get bennies on AS...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.