Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Boardroom: Game changer! (The Pancake Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Boardroom: Game changer! (The Pancake Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by worldminer
I asked last Monday and they said "not yet". They have a space problem and the concierge felt that their hard boiled egg offering was a premium .
Well I was excited when I first saw the hard-boiled egg last month... but pancakes are soo much cooler
Old May 16, 2010, 12:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Has anyone ever actually witnessed a patron being turned down on a 4th drink?
Yes... (it was only a third... but there was some miscommunications )
Old May 16, 2010, 3:08 am

Not the only place then!!!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

(NZ Lounge in SYD)

Old May 16, 2010, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by trooper

(NZ Lounge in SYD)

Hmm... so this is AS' next destination (the pancake rumor )
Old May 16, 2010, 5:34 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by trooper

(NZ Lounge in SYD)
Hey at least that lounge has figured out proper plate sizes! My one beef with AS pancake offerings is that the mini-plates they have are exactly the same size as the pancakes, which makes them a little awkward to eat, especially if you apply syrup liberally. Would be really nice if they could find some medium-sized plates.
Old May 16, 2010, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by baliktad
Hey at least that lounge has figured out proper plate sizes! My one beef with AS pancake offerings is that the mini-plates they have are exactly the same size as the pancakes, which makes them a little awkward to eat, especially if you apply syrup liberally. Would be really nice if they could find some medium-sized plates.
At PDX it seems the pancakes get smaller and smaller every time I'm there. It doesnt even take up half a plate.
Old May 16, 2010, 9:02 am

This pancake machine cracks me up. I've never heard of one before either. Wouldn't waffles be easier? haha
Old May 16, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Tried 'em in SEA today. Not bad. Just butter and I was a happy boy. ^
Old May 16, 2010, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by United757
Wouldn't waffles be easier? haha
Its not easier unless theres a way to automate it. I can see the batter all over the place and the smell of burned bread filling up the BR. Heck in my office you cant even trust people to use a microwave without them almost burning the place down.
Old May 16, 2010, 11:48 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Its not easier unless theres a way to automate it. I can see the batter all over the place and the smell of burned bread filling up the BR. Heck in my office you cant even trust people to use a microwave without them almost burning the place down.
Agreed. Have you ever been to a hotel that offers make-it-yourself belgian waffles in those flip irons? The batter has to be individually dispensed into small cups beforehand because otherwise people ladle way too much. It's a messy, high-overhead operation that's only even remotely feasible because there's someone there to babysit it almost constantly.

I heart the pancake machine. It's brilliant in its simplicity and ability to serve me a steaming-hot breakfast in seconds.
Old May 16, 2010, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by baliktad
Agreed. Have you ever been to a hotel that offers make-it-yourself belgian waffles in those flip irons? The batter has to be individually dispensed into small cups beforehand because otherwise people ladle way too much. It's a messy, high-overhead operation that's only even remotely feasible because there's someone there to babysit it almost constantly.

I heart the pancake machine. It's brilliant in its simplicity and ability to serve me a steaming-hot breakfast in seconds.
...not to mention that annoying beeper they install and people still ignore. Pancakes are much better

Throw on some peaches from the fruit cups in the PDX BR... mmm!
Old May 16, 2010, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rollyo11
I used the same pancake machine at the Doubletree Anaheim near Disneyland a few weeks back. My kids were in heaven. If you are ever at a conference at the Anaheim Convention Center or headed to Disneyland it might be cheaper to stay at the Doubletree to try the pancakes than to buy a day pass to the BR. ;-) jk
I hope the manufacturer has additional success selling these to hotels. I've made a lot of waffles on the road in those messy motel flip griddles and this seems a lot faster and easier (nothing worse than waiting for the machine on an otherwise inedible "continental breakfast" bar).

So how do the pancakes compare to "real" ones?
Old May 17, 2010, 4:13 am

I thought they were quite OK for a "commercial" product...

I happened to see the machine being "reloaded" and the pancake mix was an entirely normal looking premixed liquid in a fairly large bag.....

I was NOT expecting too much from a little machine of course!!!
Old May 17, 2010, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
:-:BREAKING NEWS:-:

ANC BR concierges just confirmed the pancake machine will be installed here this week, possibly as soon as tomorrow.

Unfortunately, your intrepid journalist/food critic is probably not going to pull another all-nighter just to confirm this...
Old May 17, 2010, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
:-:BREAKING NEWS:-:

ANC BR concierges just confirmed the pancake machine will be installed here this week, possibly as soon as tomorrow.

Unfortunately, your intrepid journalist/food critic is probably not going to pull another all-nighter just to confirm this...
And I probably won't be around to grant access to the so called 'journalist'

Apparently its going in on the back right side where the teas sit (over the trash opening) - wondered if it could go on the bar since pours are not permitted until 10 AM... but no good source of power there.

Also not sure what the hours are going to look like at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.