Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Mileage Earning on AA in "O" Class of Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Earning on AA in "O" Class of Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by onfo
Received a tweet from AS that "unfortunately, [AA] O class is ineligible for mileage crediting on Alaska accounts". FYI.
Not since March 2014. Careful with those AA bookings as O class is occasionally the default lowest-priced offering.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
Switching credit?

Recently booked AA flight to East Coast for family trip (price was factor) and have realized outbound segments are in the dreaded O class. I got MVPG benefit of no cost MCE seats through Mileage Plan number in reservation. Has anyone had any experience as to consequences of switching so as to credit to AA (I have a low level AAdvantage account) to get some mileage accrual? Would I "lose" my MCE seat assignments under these circumstances?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by getoffthe grid
Recently booked AA flight to East Coast for family trip (price was factor) and have realized outbound segments are in the dreaded O class. I got MVPG benefit of no cost MCE seats through Mileage Plan number in reservation. Has anyone had any experience as to consequences of switching so as to credit to AA (I have a low level AAdvantage account) to get some mileage accrual? Would I "lose" my MCE seat assignments under these circumstances?
No need to go that far. Some people think that it posts as 0 miles, stopping the ability to manually credit to another carrier. when in fact it doesn't post at all to AS. Keep AS number in reservation. Save boarding passes and receipt to submit a manual retro flight credit request to American.

If you really want the AS miles, try calling a few times in hopes to get a sympathetic agent to upfare for just price difference and no change fee
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
No need to go that far. Some people think that it posts as 0 miles, stopping the ability to manually credit to another carrier. when in fact it doesn't post at all to AS. Keep AS number in reservation. Save boarding passes and receipt to submit a manual retro flight credit request to American.

If you really want the AS miles, try calling a few times in hopes to get a sympathetic agent to upfare for just price difference and no change fee
i didn't know about o fare until recently when i took a flight from las-lax-sfo. that was supposed to be the flight that was going to make me mvpg. So i submitted the request and called in AS, the agent told me about O fare. I dropped the issue, but after a couple of days miles posted with bonus.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Nice of AS to post them.

Why not reconcile AS and AA? Earn on R and O respectively...
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by beckoa

Why not reconcile AS and AA? Earn on R and O respectively...
Agreed.

Simplicity is great for a FFP. Crazy exceptions just tick people off.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
Segment credit in O?

As discussed throughout this thread, the partner page on the Mileage Plan website for American Airlines currently states: “Miles may not be earned for tickets flown in E, O, T, U or Z classes of service.” I find the "may not" language curious, as if there is a possibility of credit. Why not simply state these classes "do not" earn mileage credit or are "ineligible" for mileage credit?

But what about segment credit, which is not mentioned at all? Does anyone have experience with this issue?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 4:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

No miles=no segments with AS
Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
I have a recent AA flight on O and a future flight on O, too.

The recent one is SJC-DFW-BOS-DFW-SJC. The DFW-BOS segment got irrops so I changed to another AA flight at gate. Apparently the changed one is on Y. After the flight the changed one got auto posted to my AS account, the other 3 didn't. I filed a credit request on AS website and got the other 3 credited a few days later.

The future one is SFO-DFW-CDG-JFK-SFO, I'm a little nervous about it. Should I call AA to uplift the fare class?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:29 pm

I'd give AA a jingle.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Slightly off topic but relates to earning AS miles when flying AA. How long does it take for AA flights to post to one's MVP account? Do AA flights earn the elite RDM bonus?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Slightly off topic but relates to earning AS miles when flying AA. How long does it take for AA flights to post to one's MVP account? Do AA flights earn the elite RDM bonus?
Less than a week for my last few and yes.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P

I'd give AA a jingle.
Just called AA, to uplift to Q I'll have to pay $528.xx (for 2 people I assume), that sounds too much consider this was the under $800 SFO-CDG fare, so I'll just keep O and test my luck
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by fishywang

I'd give AA a jingle.
Just called AA, to uplift to Q I'll have to pay $528.xx (for 2 people I assume), that sounds too much consider this was the under $800 SFO-CDG fare, so I'll just keep O and test my luck
Yeah that's a bit much...

Wish AS and AA would reconcile...
Old Nov 20, 2014, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fishywang
Credit to AA or US when it doesn't post, keep your boarding passes. If you are in the market for a credit card you may still be able to get the US Airways card by Barclay's, 40K US miles for $89 annual fee plus just the need to do a single purchase of any amount (I bought a soda for $1). It should give you a nice start for your next vacation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.