Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

UA, AA and CO leaving Safeway miles thru shopping, AS too?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA, AA and CO leaving Safeway miles thru shopping, AS too?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Safeway Airline Rewards Program ends for AS, UA (and CO, AA in other markets)

So, the great tragedy on the UA board within the last 36 hours is the announcement, via cash register tape(!), that Safeway/Vons will no longer participate in the Grocery Miles program of UA MileagePlus in which 125 miles were doled out for every $250 of purchases.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...y-miles-4.html

Recently it was announced on the AA board that the Texas version of Safeway, Randalls, was also dropping out of the their Texas-centered version Grocery Miles which gave the same ratio of earning to AA or CO.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...28-2010-a.html

At least that is confirmed on the Randalls website:
http://www.randalls.com/IFL/Grocery/Card-Programs

Safeway is a huge company BTW which still uses "d.b.a.'s" or "banners" in the markets where they purchased other chains:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safeway_Inc.#Banners

http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/Promo/...x?pid=PCENROLL

So my question to the AS board is this:

Have you heard of any plans by the Alaska, Washington, Idaho and Montana Safeways to stop giving out the 125 miles for each $250 spend, or better yet, increase the coverage area to include other parts of the USA?

Last edited by HeHateY; Jan 23, 2010 at 2:05 pm Reason: Changed title to reflect the news that Safeway is leaving AS Mileage Plan
Old Jan 23, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
That's interesting. I keep my UA account active with my occasional earning of UA miles at Safeway. I guess I will have to use the Dining rewards program to maintain my active status so I don't lose my UA miles.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
Originally Posted by HeHateY
Have you heard of any plans by the Alaska, Washington, Idaho and Montana Safeways to stop giving out the 125 miles for each $250 spend, or better yet, increase the coverage area to include other parts of the USA?
Yep - actually sitting at a Safeway right now where this printed on my receipt:

"Our Airline Rewards Program ends 2/28. Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles are no longer earned on purchases as of 3/1/10."

So... No more PowerPump Rewards, no more miles. I guess I'll be shopping more at Kroger family stores like QFC and Fred Meyer.

Not that it's entirely related, but the in-store wifi is also broken here.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
It really wasn't all that much, but sorry to see it go -- kinda like getting AS miles on AMTRAK a few years back.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
It really wasn't all that much, but sorry to see it go -- kinda like getting AS miles on AMTRAK a few years back.

Unfortunately THAT program (AS miles for west coast Amtrak travel) was killed off due to Amtrak employee malfeasance.

See Page 18 of 38 (page 12 printed on the page):
https://www.amtrakoig.com/Reports/ATK360207.PDF

The OIG investigated an allegation that Amtrak
employees and their non-Amtrak associates were
submitting claims, accumulating, and redeeming
frequent flyer mileage on Alaska Airlines utilizing the
Amtrak/Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (AAMP) travel
partnership and not remitting the required funds associated
with those claims. We began an extensive
investigation into fraud by Amtrak employees in connection
with AAMP. As a result of the investigation and the
OIG’s subsequent Administrative Report to
Management, fourteen employees were removed from
service after being charged, and terminated after their
hearing. Effective July 15, 2007, Alaska Airlines discontinued
its AAMP travel partnership with Amtrak. They
also cancelled and revoked the Frequent Flyer Mileage
accounts of those Amtrak employees and non-Amtrak
individuals associated with this investigation.
In conjunction with the Alaska Airlines case, the OIG
conducted a separate investigation into an allegation of
misconduct on the part of an Assistant Superintendent
and Secretary tasked with preparing and ensuring that six
of the employees involved with the abuse were served
with charge letters within the proper time limits and prior
to the hearing date. As a result of the investigation, we
recommended that Amtrak management consider discipline
for both employees. This recommendation was
agreed to by management and resulted in ninety days
probation for the Assistant Superintendent and counseling
for the Secretary.

Last edited by HeHateY; Jan 23, 2010 at 1:58 pm Reason: Added text of OIG report
Old Jan 23, 2010, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I guess - translated in English - that meant AMTRAK employees were putting through numerous AS forms on behalf of folks who never even bought a ticket, let alone set foot on a train?

The program was poorly run I thought, with spotty credit and AS giving (automatic) retroactive miles, only to have the original AMTRAK-generated miles post later.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 3:24 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by rwinn
Yep - actually sitting at a Safeway right now where this printed on my receipt:

"Our Airline Rewards Program ends 2/28. Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan miles are no longer earned on purchases as of 3/1/10."

So... No more PowerPump Rewards, no more miles. I guess I'll be shopping more at Kroger family stores like QFC and Fred Meyer.

Not that it's entirely related, but the in-store wifi is also broken here.
hmmm I just looked at a receipt from today and yesterday and neither of them make any mention. Odd time to be cutting promos like previously with the fuel rewards since Walmart just opened a couple supercenters here in the area. Oh well they have a better selection anyhow so I will start using them more often
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ANC
hmmm I just looked at a receipt from today and yesterday and neither of them make any mention. Odd time to be cutting promos like previously with the fuel rewards since Walmart just opened a couple supercenters here in the area. Oh well they have a better selection anyhow so I will start using them more often
Agreed.

Sad to see this go...

Won't feel as compelled to shop at Carrs anymore. Freddies and Costco here I come
Old Jan 24, 2010, 8:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Maybe AS will talk with the Kroger folks, and get something going with Fred Meyer and QFC. I avoid my neighborhood Safeway for service related issues, but nonetheless, I think I was half way to a whopping 125 miles, so I may have to pick up a few things later in the week.

Nothing posted on the partner page yet.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 9:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by 98103
Maybe AS will talk with the Kroger folks, and get something going with Fred Meyer and QFC. I avoid my neighborhood Safeway for service related issues, but nonetheless, I think I was half way to a whopping 125 miles, so I may have to pick up a few things later in the week.

Our Safeway store has a Starbucks. Previously, if you used your Safeway card when you bought a coffee drink, they tracked the number purchased. I think the eighth one was free. That program went away a few years ago. You can still get a free Safeway Signature sandwich after you buy 7, but that's not an offer that I used.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 98103
I avoid my neighborhood Safeway for service related issues, but nonetheless, I think I was half way to a whopping 125 miles, so I may have to pick up a few things later in the week.

U-Dist store by chance? That one is damned seedy!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:57 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by divine
You can still get a free Safeway Signature sandwich after you buy 7, but that's not an offer that I used.
Used to be 5 or 6. Now the sig sandwiches got smaller and the number went up
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:18 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by ANC
Just back from Carrs Safeway now. No expiration warning on my receipt. Any chance Carrs in Alaska is keeping this going? Probably not - they're probably just not getting it on the receipts yet. It's just that Alaskans are more distracted by miles than most places...specifically Alaska Airline miles.

Bummer that this is disappearing, but as others have pointed out, it wasn't a very big source of miles for me. I just checked and in the 24 months of history available, I got the 125 bonus 7 times...not going to earn an international F award off that anytime soon!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:28 pm
ANC

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Just back from Carrs Safeway now. No expiration warning on my receipt. Any chance Carrs in Alaska is keeping this going? Probably not - they're probably just not getting it on the receipts yet. It's just that Alaskans are more distracted by miles than most places...specifically Alaska Airline miles.

Bummer that this is disappearing, but as others have pointed out, it wasn't a very big source of miles for me. I just checked and in the 24 months of history available, I got the 125 bonus 7 times...not going to earn an international F award off that anytime soon!
I have 39 in 24 months
Old Jan 24, 2010, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
U-Dist store by chance? That one is damned seedy!
By far the worst Safeway in Seattle. When are they going to pimp that one up like Roosevelt and U-village?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.