FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   MVP/G/75K Benefits on Delta Airlines (2010-2012 edition) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1037423-mvp-g-75k-benefits-delta-airlines-2010-2012-edition.html)

ANC RED-EYE Jan 8, 2010 5:35 pm

MVP/G/75K Benefits on Delta Airlines (2010-2012 edition)

As of 11/13/2012: (new changes in bold)

As an Alaska Airlines elite passenger, you will get the following when traveling on Delta:

Priority seat selection (includes exit row seats; bulk heads reserved for airport assignment; does not include economy comfort - see information below)
Priority Check in - golds use SkyPriority lane; MVP's use Silver Medalion lane where available (and SkyPriority where not)
Priority boarding - golds SKY zone, MVP's zone 1
Unlimited first class upgrades - your upgraded status should be "upgrade requested" at the time of reservation; you will automatically be transferred to the airport upgrade waitlist at check in, and upgraded as available at the gate.
Priority Security Screening (MVPG/75K only)
Complimentary checked baggage:
MVP Gold/75K - 2 free checked bags (up to 70 pounds each)+
MVP - 1 free checked bag (up to 70 pounds)+
Economy comfort discount:
Flights within the US and to/from Canada, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean: NO discount
All other Delta flights: MVPG/75K - 50% discount, MVP - 25% discount

+there are regional variations to the weight limits. For full details, please consult Delta's website. As a rule of thumb, 70 pounds are allowed within the US/Canada and to Brazil, and assume 50 pounds for all other destinations.

steadyASshegoes Jan 8, 2010 6:49 pm

The Consolidated MVP/G/75K Benefits on Delta Airlines Thread

I checked in for a Delta flight today and my boarding pass had "AS MVG Gold" in tiny letters just above my AS FF#. The last time I flew Delta in early October I don't recall seeing this. Does this herald the imminent arrival of new and wondrous benefits for MVPG on Delta (upgrades, elite seat assignment, baggage fee waivers)?

I also noticed I was able to select an exit row seat on my ATL-SEA leg during OLCI (but not before; I was stuck in a middle row in the back and very relieved to be able to select an exit on that nasty flight). I don't remember being able to do that, either--is this a new feature for MVPG, or does Delta always release exit row inventory to the general public when OLCI begins?

777-200LR Jan 8, 2010 6:52 pm

I don't know but I have a friend working for AS at DCA, I'll ask her next time I see her!

ANC Jan 8, 2010 7:37 pm

you can select exit rows at checkin if any are open and not all taken by their elites. Just about every airline releases all seats during checkin. Some airlines like NW(not sure if DL will do it at some point) they offer the seats for $30 or $40 as "choice seats" during checkin

MagicCarpetRider Jan 8, 2010 10:18 pm

MVP and MVPG now have preferred seating with Delta; however, seat selection cannot be done via Delta.com, it must be done through their reservation department. It should be on Delta.com within a month.

Happy Flying!!!

ANC Jan 8, 2010 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by MagicCarpetRider (Post 13144338)
MVP and MVPG now have preferred seating with Delta; however, seat selection cannot be done via Delta.com, it must be done through their reservation department. It should be on Delta.com within a month.

Happy Flying!!!

good to hear. Hopefully everybody in their reservation department is aware. Nothings more annoying than calling somebody to be told you are basically an idiot by the call taker when you know you are right and they act like you are wrong and stupid

beckoa Jan 9, 2010 1:09 am

Originally Posted by MagicCarpetRider (Post 13144338)

Happy Flying!!!

Excellent- I saw upgrades are supposed to happen in 'spring 2010' - would this be rolled out around the same time?

But glad to hear its in the cards very soon.

Oh, and welcome to Flyertalk steadyASshegoes - nice on embedding AS in your handle ^

steadyASshegoes Jan 9, 2010 1:55 am

Originally Posted by ANC (Post 13144354)
good to hear. Hopefully everybody in their reservation department is aware. Nothings more annoying than calling somebody to be told you are basically an idiot by the call taker when you know you are right and they act like you are wrong and stupid

About 3 days ago I called Delta to request an exit row seat on my ATL-SEA, but the res agent wasn't going to hear of it and tried to transfer me to the SkyMiles department. Keep calling till you get somebody who knows the new policy, I guess.

Overall this is great news! I'll definitely be shifting my business from AA to DL whenever AS isn't an option.

ANC Jan 9, 2010 2:06 am

Originally Posted by steadyASshegoes (Post 13144993)
About 3 days ago I called Delta to request an exit row seat on my ATL-SEA, but the res agent wasn't going to hear of it and tried to transfer me to the SkyMiles department. Keep calling till you get somebody who knows the new policy, I guess.

Overall this is great news! I'll definitely be shifting my business from AA to DL whenever AS isn't an option.

well what still ticks me off is that the AA codeshares seem to over ride any DL codeshares on the AS website!!! To find DL codeshares you have to dig and root and find them in the by schedule option if you want to find them. And even then sometimes they dont show up even then! Granted when I use AA its usually american eagle so something like seats or upgrade reciprocity doesnt much matter. The only thing is bag fees on the return but DL has those too so....

Points Scrounger Jan 9, 2010 10:26 am

Originally Posted by steadyASshegoes (Post 13144993)

I called for seat assignments on a DL-operated codeshare (none possible online at all). After the rep gave me seats, I asked if my AS# were indicated; she replied "nope", entered it, and confirmed it showed my elite status. I then asked whether that meant I could have exit row seats? She had to "look it up", coming back a couple of minutes later with "Yes, and there are some open on your flights, here are the choices ...."

RC645 Jan 9, 2010 12:24 pm

I flew Delta BOI-SLC-PDX on Jan 1 as AS was booked solid following a bowl game in Boise; seat selection was out of the question as I had the last seat on both flights, but Delta waived bag fees and allowed me to board in Group 2 on both legs.
However, I will never again complain about the coach-class seat pitch on an Alaska flight. Delta's 737-800 had at least two more rows of seats compared to Alaska; I'm 5'8", and my knees practically touched the seat ahead of me.

ANC RED-EYE Jan 9, 2010 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by RC645 (Post 13147137)
Delta's 737-800 had at least two more rows of seats compared to Alaska

Actually, not. Alaska and Delta's 73H's have the exact same configuration:
16 F seats in 4 rows
144 Y seats in 24 rows (numbered 6-30 - skipping row 13 on AS, and 10-33 on DL)

Both, statistically have seat width in Y of 17", and seat pitch of 32"

AS does operate a 737-800 version 2 which has 141 seats in Y...but just as many rows, there is just an additional Lav replacing 3 seats on the left side of the plane.

I'd say that your sense of lack of space was probably subjective. Alternatively, AS may have seats which are better designed to make you feel like the seat pitch is better; perhaps giving you 1cm extra knee room so your knees don't touch. I don't know. What I do know is that the thought that AS has more room in Y (which comes up on this forum from time to time) is not true...everyone pretty much has the same!

Rawan Jan 9, 2010 6:31 pm

Seat selction - yes; priority boarding - no

Just went MSP-ATL-TPA, and return, over the holidays.
Online, I was able to select "elite" seats, because it was booked as NW ticket.
The AS web site indicates that MVP/Gs should get priority boarding on NW/DL. But, we were assigned boarding priority 4 (last group).
I asked the DL agents in TPA (during return), and was told that what the system prints on the BP is our status. Nothing more he could do.
A bit of a struggle getting bags into bins when you are the last people to board.:td:

Points Scrounger Jan 9, 2010 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Rawan (Post 13148812)
Just went MSP-ATL-TPA, and return, over the holidays.
Online, I was able to select "elite" seats, because it was booked as NW ticket.
The AS web site indicates that MVP/Gs should get priority boarding on NW/DL. But, we were assigned boarding priority 4 (last group).
I asked the DL agents in TPA (during return), and was told that what the system prints on the BP is our status. Nothing more he could do.
A bit of a struggle getting bags into bins when you are the last people to board.:td:

Although your bp might say Zone 4, when the agent calls "Zone 2 - Medallions and partner elites" - that includes AS MVP/Golds. If the status isn't on your bp, you need to show your AS elite card to the agent with your bp at that time to board early.

Rawan Jan 9, 2010 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 13148985)
Although your bp might say Zone 4, when the agent calls "Zone 2 - Medallions and partner elites" - that includes AS MVP/Golds. If the status isn't on your bp, you need to show your AS elite card to the agent with your bp at that time to board early.

The agents in TPA and ATL did not announce "Medallions and partner elites." They announced boarding for "Medallions and SkyTeam elites" in zone 2.
I don't think the TPA agent was aware of this perk for AS elites. He was not interested in seeing my AS card, and my BP indicated MVPG. The zone printed was the zone to board. Since it was a full flight on a holiday, they were not going to budge.
I'll chalk it up to "YMMV"
Perhaps I should keep a copy of the page from AS website indicating priority boarding privileges on DL/NW.