Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

MVP/G/75K Benefits on Delta Airlines (2010-2012 edition)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
Consolidated benefits for AS Elites flying DL

MVP
  • Zone 1 Boarding
  • One Free checked bag
  • priority seating
  • 25% discount on International Economy Comfort
  • Space Available upgrades

MVPG/75K
  • Zone SKY Boarding
  • SkyPriority Checkin
  • SkyPriority Lane for Security
  • Two Free Checked Bags (70 lbs domestic, 50 lbs Intl)
  • Priority Seating
  • 50% discount on International Economy Comfort
  • Space Available upgrades
Print Wikipost

MVP/G/75K Benefits on Delta Airlines (2010-2012 edition)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by GBadger
If you can't see the seat map (and DL.com gives you a message as to such), it likely means that your flight is oversold and there are no seats available for selection at this time.
If I just go look at the flight as if I wanted to buy a seat on it via delta.com the plane is half empty. There are plenty of seats to be had. There is no message or anything when I try to access it via my reservation, it just plain wont load.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:22 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Only AS elites are psycho about checking in at the T-24 hour mark exactly...There is no such ridiculous motivation on other airlines where the upgrade process is transparent and actually works. The DL elites likely use OLCI out of convenience, not out of necessity because they are afraid their carrier will strip away a valued benefit if they don't check in "early and often".

Just my $0.02
I love CO's upgrade list and it is VERY transparent... DL's upgrade list is a total mess and it always gives me the wrong flights like my recent trip to MKE... I clicked on TO ATLANTA and it showed me ATL-MKE

If you can't see the seat map (and DL.com gives you a message as to such), it likely means that your flight is oversold and there are no seats available for selection at this time.
I thought DL tends to block a good # of seats for airport assignment?? So it is possible that the flight is not oversold, but the seats that DL allows customers to book in advance are occupied...
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
I thought DL tends to block a good # of seats for airport assignment?? So it is possible that the flight is not oversold, but the seats that DL allows customers to book in advance are occupied...
The flight is not oversold. There are 79 open and selectable seats for it. I can go on alaskaair.com and move my seat around to one of about 50 different non-preferred seats.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by dabears1020
The flight is not oversold. There are 79 open and selectable seats for it. I can go on alaskaair.com and move my seat around to one of about 50 different non-preferred seats.
Oh, did not read that part That is what happens when you are on a FT hiatus and fall wayyy behind in the forums

And you actually counted the # of open seats? LOL
Old Feb 17, 2011, 10:34 pm

Oh, did not read that part That is what happens when you are on a FT hiatus and fall wayyy behind in the forums

And you actually counted the # of open seats? LOL
There were lots of full rows of 3 open, so it made it quick.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:26 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
I love CO's upgrade list and it is VERY transparent
I agree that seeing where you are on the CO list is extremely beneficial, during the last 24 hours before the flight, although there is no way to see the list or see that you are in the queue for the EUA (elite upgrade automation) during the 5 days prior when upgrades are also processed - so it would be an even better feature if you could view were you are on the list as part of the reservation, not just during the last 24 hours.

I have noticed that most CO elites seem to religiously check in during the first few minutes after OLCI opens. Within the first hour of check-in, the upgrade list grows to about 80% of what it will be at the end, so clearly CO elites believe there is value to the check-in time.

However, I am less than convinced about the total transparency. Last month I was IRROP'ed over from a UA flight to a CO flight and booked into full Y. About 90 minutes before flight time, the flight was booked to 18/20 and 16 checked in. I was #2 on the list (as UA 1K with Y). 60 minutes before flight it was still booked 18/20 and 17 checked in and I was still #2 on the list. 45 minutes before flight it was 18/20 and 18 checked in and I was #2 on the list. 30 minutes before the flight it became 20/20 and I was #1 on the list (and did not get an upgrade), and when I looked at who got the upgrades, one of the names who had been below me on the list at around #5 got the upgrade (which I verified since he was listed in one of the previously unoccupied seats) - so he either knew someone, or gamed the system, or paid for it. I was never offered to pay for it. It didn't feel as transparent as expected by me.

I haven't invested enough time in the CO forum to understand if there are ways to game the system. I suspect it happened at GA discretion. If that happens, then the system is not transparent.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by LaneW
Hoping to find an answer to this also. I asked DL on the phone and was told that a MVP gold would be treated as a Gold Medallion, same with 75k, but I'm not sure I belive it. Can someone answer?
Is there a definitive answer as to how DL prioritizes the upgrade list? Where does MVP Gold fit between Silver, Gold, Plat, Diamond Medallion, and how does fare type interact (E.g. do all Diamonds get UG first, ranked by fare, then Platinum, or do all Y get first, ranked by status?)
Old Feb 18, 2011, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by seacarl
I agree that seeing where you are on the CO list is extremely beneficial, during the last 24 hours before the flight, although there is no way to see the list or see that you are in the queue for the EUA (elite upgrade automation) during the 5 days prior when upgrades are also processed - so it would be an even better feature if you could view were you are on the list as part of the reservation, not just during the last 24 hours.

I have noticed that most CO elites seem to religiously check in during the first few minutes after OLCI opens. Within the first hour of check-in, the upgrade list grows to about 80% of what it will be at the end, so clearly CO elites believe there is value to the check-in time.

However, I am less than convinced about the total transparency. Last month I was IRROP'ed over from a UA flight to a CO flight and booked into full Y. About 90 minutes before flight time, the flight was booked to 18/20 and 16 checked in. I was #2 on the list (as UA 1K with Y). 60 minutes before flight it was still booked 18/20 and 17 checked in and I was still #2 on the list. 45 minutes before flight it was 18/20 and 18 checked in and I was #2 on the list. 30 minutes before the flight it became 20/20 and I was #1 on the list (and did not get an upgrade), and when I looked at who got the upgrades, one of the names who had been below me on the list at around #5 got the upgrade (which I verified since he was listed in one of the previously unoccupied seats) - so he either knew someone, or gamed the system, or paid for it. I was never offered to pay for it. It didn't feel as transparent as expected by me.

I haven't invested enough time in the CO forum to understand if there are ways to game the system. I suspect it happened at GA discretion. If that happens, then the system is not transparent.
Definitely a Y/B/M-up... Also check-in time serves as the tiebreaker if fare class and elite status are equal.

You were on "Y" which is an instant upgradeable fare, so did you go to your reservation online and upgrade your reservation? My understanding is that Y books directly into any open F seat, so you should have been upgraded if you talked with a CO agent before F filled up

I agree that the EUA process itself is not transparent, but the upgrade list is transparent and 98% of the time if someone jumps the list that person suckered into paying for it or used miles to upgrade.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seacarl
Is there a definitive answer as to how DL prioritizes the upgrade list? Where does MVP Gold fit between Silver, Gold, Plat, Diamond Medallion, and how does fare type interact (E.g. do all Diamonds get UG first, ranked by fare, then Platinum, or do all Y get first, ranked by status?)
As far as I know:

- SWU: (at the gate only, not sure of pecking order here)
- Full Y: DM, PM, GM, FO/MVPG/MVP/STE+
- DM: B,M,H,Q,K,L,U,T,Award (priority within fare class given to DL AMEX Reserve holders)
- PM: B,M,H,Q,K,L,U,T,Award (priority within fare class given to DL AMEX Reserve holders)
- GM: B,M,H,Q,K,L,U,T,Award (priority within fare class given to DL AMEX Reserve holders)
- FO/ASMVP/STE+: B,M,H,Q,K,L,U,T (priority within fare class given to DL AMEX Reserve holders)
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dabears1020
This is a good site for checking which seats are truly open.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
As far as I know:
- FO/ASMVP/STE+: B,M,H,Q,K,L,U,T (priority within fare class given to DL AMEX Reserve holders)
So an ASMVP would trump an FO on a lower fare class? I've heard various people at AS claim that this is the case, yet I'm still skeptical.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by hgdf
So an ASMVP would trump an FO on a lower fare class? I've heard various people at AS claim that this is the case, yet I'm still skeptical.
IME this is the case - I flew a less than 7-day fare PDX-SLC last week and started at something like 2 of 3 on the list at 24 hours and ended up at 11 of 18 at the gate, so, unless there were a ton of AS people behind me (unlikely), it was my fare class that kept me higher on the list (albeit far from an upgrade). My return flight the next day, on a 7+ day fare had me way at the bottom of the list (12 of 12 or something).
Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:24 pm

This is a good site for checking which seats are truly open.
I think that just shows the same data as delta.com.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I think one would struggle to find empirical evidence around that. On some routes and flight times, low fare class Silvers are so far out of the running that a few AS flyers won't make a difference.

(Gold Medallions on Delta can do 50% or better in upgrade success.)
Old Feb 18, 2011, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
As far as I know:

- SWU: (at the gate only, not sure of pecking order here)
- Full Y: DM, PM, GM, FO/MVPG/MVP/STE+
- DM: B,M,H,Q,K,L,U,T,Award (priority within fare class given to DL AMEX Reserve holders)
- PM: B,M,H,Q,K,L,U,T,Award (priority within fare class given to DL AMEX Reserve holders)
- GM: B,M,H,Q,K,L,U,T,Award (priority within fare class given to DL AMEX Reserve holders)
Excellent concise summary. I wish I could bookmark single posts! This deserves to go in our FAQ, should we ever get around to creating one... ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.