Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:19 pm

I called the Elite line for the first time on Sunday night (12:01am Monday) to use credits to upgrade SFO-ATL on Tuesday. The recording said the line closed at 10pm, I believe.

I decided to call the main number and the agent handled my request.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
For what it's worth, you can look at historical seatmaps of your flight. All you have to do is search for the flight you want in reservations, and click on the seatmap. Once you do that, you simply copy the URL from the seatmap window into a regular browser window and then change the date in the web address. It won't tell you how upgrade conditions were, but it will show you if your flight usually leaves with unused business seats.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cooger72
For what it's worth, you can look at historical seatmaps of your flight. All you have to do is search for the flight you want in reservations, and click on the seatmap. Once you do that, you simply copy the URL from the seatmap window into a regular browser window and then change the date in the web address. It won't tell you how upgrade conditions were, but it will show you if your flight usually leaves with unused business seats.
Interesting. You're right. I just checked it out. Well, this makes it really easy for competitors to see exact loads on flights.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Interesting. You're right. I just checked it out. Well, this makes it really easy for competitors to see exact loads on flights.
Might be another error with FL's website... shocker. It's also good for handicapping odds of success on same day standby.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:40 am

Programs: A+ Elite, Silver Medallion
9/16, 5:40PM ATL-HPN Flight, Checked in online exactly 24 hours before.

Arrived at gate 35 min before departure, boarding almost complete. Approached the GA to ask for upgrade, she has boarding pass already printed out, says she paged me earlier.

There were 6 open seats BC seats before I left for airport, and it looks as if 4 went to non-rev passengers.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by GHU21
Arrived at gate 35 min before departure, boarding almost complete. Approached the GA to ask for upgrade, she has boarding pass already printed out, says she paged me earlier.
I've experienced this the last several times I've gotten upgraded for free. I've admittedly been there a few minutes past 40, but each time I've been told I'd been paged and upgraded. (although it's appeared to be on relatively empty flights as far as C goes) It's a very nice/refreshing change of pace. Hopefully it will get rolled out system wide and at 40 minutes they'll just upgrade the first people to check in instead of playing the "when should I ask the GA" game. I imagine if there were too many elites and you don't respond to a page at T-40 they can give it away to the next elite on the list. Seems like it should be pretty simple.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 2:00 pm

BC actually went out full, but wouldn't have without the non-rev passengers.

Coach was maybe 75% capacity.

I would also greatly prefer having upgrades automatically issued at the 40 minute mark based on check-in time, saves time and effort for everyone involved.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:02 pm

Programs: STARWOOD PLAT, LT GOLD,WN A-LIST PREFERRED, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE
Good thing is now that SWA has Bought Air tran no need to worry about upgrades will be cattle call central.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:49 pm
Used to be hamajicky

Originally Posted by nachoman205
Good thing is now that SWA has Bought Air tran no need to worry about upgrades will be cattle call central.
Agreed. I got upgraded ATL-SJU on 9/24, but I got the total shaft on SJU-ATL on 9/26. Some people that checked the counter after I did (4 people in fact) got upgraded and I did not. I saw their coach boarding passes and then I saw them walk away with business class seats. I asked the GA--he was unapologetic and said "sorry it's full".

I thought about complaining to FL, but what's the point now?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by hamajicky
Agreed. I got upgraded ATL-SJU on 9/24, but I got the total shaft on SJU-ATL on 9/26. Some people that checked the counter after I did (4 people in fact) got upgraded and I did not. I saw their coach boarding passes and then I saw them walk away with business class seats. I asked the GA--he was unapologetic and said "sorry it's full".

Enjoy it before it goes away.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive

Keep in mind, upgrades are not given in the order that you approach the counter. Rather, they are given in order of online check-in. You have no idea if those people who checked the counter after you completed their online check-in at T-24 hours or not. If you want the best odds of getting an upgrade, always check-in online as close to 24 hours prior to departure as possible. The only thing that I can assure you were owed was a better explanation from the GA. If it gives you any peace of mind, present your A+ Elite card and ask the TA or GA when you arrive at the airport, "where am I in check-in sequence?" I've never been refused that information and it is not an unreasonable request, even prior to the 40-minute mark.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 4:34 pm

Never thought to ask for the check in sequence number..will try that next time.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by GHU21
Never thought to ask for the check in sequence number..will try that next time.
It's usually printed on the bottom right corner of the boarding pass, without a label telling what the number is.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:46 am
Used to be hamajicky

Originally Posted by plagwate
Keep in mind, upgrades are not given in the order that you approach the counter. Rather, they are given in order of online check-in. You have no idea if those people who checked the counter after you completed their online check-in at T-24 hours or not. If you want the best odds of getting an upgrade, always check-in online as close to 24 hours prior to departure as possible. The only thing that I can assure you were owed was a better explanation from the GA. If it gives you any peace of mind, present your A+ Elite card and ask the TA or GA when you arrive at the airport, "where am I in check-in sequence?" I've never been refused that information and it is not an unreasonable request, even prior to the 40-minute mark.
I checked in exactly 24 hours before departure and approached the gate an hour before scheduled departure. I was told there was one seat left and I was first on the list. I came back at 40 minutes, was told "it's full" and then the other 4 people walk off with upgrades. It made no sense.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
I checked in exactly 24 hours before departure and approached the gate an hour before scheduled departure. I was told there was one seat left and I was first on the list. I came back at 40 minutes, was told "it's full" and then the other 4 people walk off with upgrades. It made no sense.
The only other explanation I can come up with is either:
1) The other pax purchased the remaining upgrade
2) The other pax called in to FL and cashed in 4 credits for the upgrade
3) GA Shenanigans
Unfortunately, unless you were hovering over the podium, you have no way of knowing without calling FL Customer Relations and having them investigate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.