Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 5:43 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
For my 12/20 flights:

At 2 days prior, HPN-ATL was wide open in Business class; ATL-HOU still had 10 seats in Biz class. I decided to "gamble" on an Elite upgrade at T-24.

At 24.1 hours prior, seat 3F was now assigned on both flights, otherwise no other change in Biz class. A few minutes later I was able to check in and see that in fact I had been assigned to 3F on both my legs. I successfully changed my seats to row 2 and finished checking in.

So. it looks like I am the only Elite on my flights tomorrow - I will update with final biz class numbers when I get a chance (probably not until after Christmas).

PS - Posting from 28,000 feet - I forgot about the free WiFi this season!

I was not the only "elite" on my HPN-ATL flight - there was a gentleman ahead of me with an Elite bag tag. I asked him when he bought his ticket; he replied that he works for FL and gets upgraded at T - 2 hours if space is available. He also said that he had pushed for the 48 hour upgrade window for Elites and the 24 hour automatic upgrades.

During that flight the seat map claimed 4 empty seats in BC and 2 more empties in back, but in fact those #s should be reversed, as the parents of the 1st officer were moved up - their first flight with their daughter in the right seat (& maybe their 1st FL flight).

My current flight has only 1 seat open in Biz and 2 others in back - I am the only elite on this segment to my knowledge.

Last edited by HPN-HRL; Dec 20, 2010 at 9:26 am Reason: added more info
Old Dec 22, 2010, 4:45 pm

Upgrades

In the past three weeks, I have flown MKE-LGA roundtrip three times. Five of the times I received the auto upgrade. On the other flight, I was actaully booked for the last flight out on a Friday, but went to the MKE at 5:30 am to standby for the first flight. The Agent placed me on the flight confirmed, for no fee, and upon ticketing my seat was 1A with a free auto upgrade.

I also had a Continental flight that was canceled due to weather from EWR on a Sunday. I took the refund and booked the first FL flight out of LGA for Monday morning and also received an auto upgrade! New system rocks!
Old Dec 24, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: Airtran A+ Elite, SPG Preferred Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold, AGR
was auto upgraded at 24 hrs with companion BWI - BOS on dec 10, then BOS - BWI dec 13th. Both times BC flew out at 10 of 12 full. On the BOS - BWI flight there was only a total of 45 people on the flight, and 10 were in BC. I'm loving this new auto upgrade feature. I hope they keep it. Cant think they will past the slower winter season though.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by jftino
I'm loving this new auto upgrade feature. I hope they keep it. Cant think they will past the slower winter season though.
You never know, they just might. After the most recent adjustment in baggage fees, a lot of ticket agents were softening the blow by telling non-elite flyers that they could upgrade to BC for a just a few dollars more than the cost of checking two bags. As a result, a lot us Elites were getting shafted out of upgrades within the last two hours before departure because BC would sell out.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
December 31:

* The 12:13 HOU-ATL: at T-3 days only 2 BC seats full; stayed that way until T-25 hours, when only 1 BC seat was left. I was assigned 2A on an H fare. BC went out full; I think the back cabin was full as well.

* The 5:41 ATL-HPN: at T-3 days BC was still empty; at T-25 hours one seat was assigned (to me, originally 3F but I switched it to 2D at T-24); 5 other BC seats bought up (via $ or credits) by T-4 hours, and 3 more joined us up front by boarding time (so 9 seats taken). Back cabin was either full or nearly so.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:53 pm
Used to be hamajicky

Dec 30 - ATL-MSY success for me + wife (at online checkin, already done)
Jan 5 - MSY-ATL success for me + wife (at online checkin, already done)

The Jan 5 upgrade surprised me because the flight was completely full and they quit selling coach seats about 3 weeks ago
Old Jan 5, 2011, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hamajicky
The Jan 5 upgrade surprised me because the flight was completely full and they quit selling coach seats about 3 weeks ago
Of course they upgraded you. They needed to free up as many coach seats as possible!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: A+ Elite, Marriott Gold
yesterday FLL to ATl automatic upgrade
tomorrow ATL to LAX automatic upgrade

I'm not sure I'll be able to fly in the back again, this is the greatest promo ever, I love Airtran^
Old Jan 14, 2011, 4:15 pm

MKE LGA

Received an auto upgrade for my MKE LGA flight yesterday. The fare price was only $69 so it was quite a good deal. Unfortunately, I am flying F9 back, since the FL fares were so high for this Sunday.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Auto upgrade mke-lax on 1/15 and lax-mke on 1/23. Details in my op.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA
Auto-upgrade at 24+1 hours out for tomorrow's flight, DCA-MKE-LAX, put into 3F for both segments.

I'm flying on an award/voucher ticket I got from a VDB on a $79 flight. Pretty happy with this promotion.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 2:09 am

Programs: UA
Posting from flight 58. Wanted to just rave a little bit about the LAX AirTran station employees. I was confirmed (and auto-upgraded) on the 13:10 departure through ATL to DCA on the 31st.

So why am I now on the 23:55 redeye on the 30th?

I'm due on a flight from JFK to CDG (the Iberia codeshare deal from December) that's almost definitely gonna get screwed up by this latest snow system...so I wanted to get back to the East Coast sooner to see if I can get out a day earlier.

I called up the FL reservations main number (elite line was closed) and they said they couldn't help but maybe going to the airport and asking couldn't hurt.

So I went over to LAX with all my stuff and at first they weren't too accommodating at the desk when I showed up, then I asked if elite status might help at all if there was room up front...and to their great credit, they forced it through to allow me to basically standby the day earlier at no extra cost. Then they gave me 2F and filled the rest of business with what I think are op-ups; there were only 2 other people in business when they put me up here and Y is 100% full.

Didn't get the auto-upgrade to business for the ATL-DCA leg, but that's probably to be expected on a Monday morning...
Old Feb 3, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Auto-upgraded at T-25 hours:
2/4 6:50 am LGA-MKE
2/4 8:45 am MKE-SFO

I hope that FL considers extending this promo for elites, this is so much better than the chaotic "rush the gate agent game" minutes before boarding.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:05 pm
Used to be hamajicky

2/6 - ATL-MCO-MBJ : auto upgrade for me + wife both segments
bumped off the flight onto ATL-MBJ: upgrade for both

2/8 - MBJ-ATL: auot upgrade me +wife
Old Feb 11, 2011, 7:46 am

2/11 LGA-MKE (Friday evening flight): Two days prior, only 3 Biz seats were full (2C & D and 3C). When I went to check in at T-22 hours, I had been auto-upgraded to 2F, and rows 2 & 3 were now full. FWIW, I booked roundtrip on an H fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.