Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Airtran Integration - Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2014, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rsteinmetz70112
As Airtran integration with Southwest accelerates toward completion by the end of 2014 It was suggested that a Sticky Thread be initiated to combine all of the information available. This is that thread. The information here is believed accurate but may change at any time.

Please post any corrections or other information you may have.

A+ Rewards Rapid Rewards Integration.

Southwest has stated the Rapid Rewards will be the Frequent Flyer Program for the combined airline. How that will be accomplished has not been announced.

Southwest has apparently begun informing new and renewed Airtran A+ Rewards Elite Members that the programs will be merged at the end of 2014 and that their Status as A_list on Southwest will be extended through 2015. UPDATE: 3/5/2014

A+ Reward Rapid Rewards Conversion

Southwest have created a conversion program that allows A+ Rewards Credits to be transferred to Rapid Rewards Credits and allows allows Rapid Rewards points, credits or Standard Awards to be transfered to A+ Rewards Credits.
  • 1 A+ Credit transfers to 1 Rapid Rewards Credit
  • 1 Rapid Rewards Credit transfers to 1 A+ Credit.
  • 1200 Rapid Rewards Points transfer to 1 A+ Credit
  • 16 Rapid Rewards Credits create 1 Standard Award (2 flights)
  • 1 Rapid Rewards Flight transfers to 8 A+ Credits.
Use of Vouchers and Credits on Southwest and Airtran

At present Southwest Vouchers and Credits can only be used on Southwest.com for flights booked on Southwest. Airtan Vouchers and Credits can only be used on Airtran.

However some people have reported that Airtran will sometimes convert free upgrades or flight vouchers to A+ Credits which can be transferred to Southwest. As more and more flights are transitioned to Southwest opportunities to use Airtran Vouchers will decrease.

UPDATE 3/5/2014: This seems to becoming more of a policy, Airtran recently readliy agreed to convert a voucher I had been issued to 16 A+ Credits. Incidently this reset the expiation date.

UPDATE 3/5/2014: I have been advised that Airtran Customer Service may sometimes, if asked nicely, be convinced to convert Airtran Dollar value vouchers to Southwest dollar value vouchers.

[UPDATE 8/6/2014:[/B] Recent reports indicate that Airtran will convert Vouchers but the process takes between 7 and 30 days. The voucher is unavailable for use during that time. I don't know if any Airtran Vouchers have expiration dates beyond November 1, but as far as I know there has been no announcement of how those may be handled.

The Southwest Airtran 2 Step.

Because new Rapid Rewards Standard Awards expire one year after creation it is possible to extend Standard Awards indefinitely by transferring 16 A+ Credits to Rapid Rewards creating a new Standard Award. If that Award nears expiration then transferring the Standard Award to A+ Credits and Back with create an New Standard Award with a new expiration date.

This process takes 16 A+ Credits and will probably be discontinued sometime in the future.

Status Match between A+ Rewards and Rapid Rewards.

Southwest will generally match status between A+ Rewards and Rapid Rewards. All that is necessary is to establish an account in both Airtran and Southwest then call Customer Service with the account information. Airtran A+ Elite will be given A-List status on Southwest. Rapid Rewards A-List and A-List preferred with be give Airtran A+ Elite Status. As far as we can tell there is no automatic upgrade so if your status match is expiring. It is necessary for you to contact the appropriate airline and let them know it needs to be renewed.

While we have email confirmation of the policy and many people have reported success we also have a few reports of people being denied. If you are denied politely hang up and call back later or send and email. I recommend calling the Airtran Elite number, rather than Southwest or the regular Airtran number.

UPDATE! 7/22/14 Today a member has reported in the Southwest Forum that the Airtran Elite Desk is no longer doing Status matches.

Upgrade to Airtran Biz

I have had been advised that passengers traveling on tickets issued by Southwest who are A-List and Elite are eligible for complementary upgrades to business class on Flights operated by Airtran if space is available. These upgrades are only available 40 minutes before departure at the gate. While this has worked for me several time recently my wife was denied an upgrade. One Customer Service Agent at Southwest confirmed she was eligible another denied it. Another time the Southwest Gate Agent could not figure out how to change the seat assignment.

Southwest is not apparently not giving upgrades without a fight. I have experienced problems at least 3 times and received a report from another forum member of several denials.

UPDATE 3/5/2014: Recently I have been advised by several people at Southwest and Airtran that Southwest is not giving Biz upgrades to A-list passengers traveling on Southwest issued tickets. One Airtran Elite Customer Service Agent acknowledged that they had originally been told upgrades were to be given. The current story is that the original information was in error and there are "Technical Issues" with changing a Ticket issued by Southwest.

Seat Assignments on Airtran Flights Purchased Through Southwest

Recently Southwest added the capability for passengers purchasing seats on Airtran flights Purchased at Southwest.com to select seats. This new change was as far as we can tell completely unannounced it simply appeared one day. There have been reports of some problems with it, specifically that at least sometime passengers purchasing Priority Seating are not boarded in Zone 1 as advertized.

Biz Class Snacks Discontinued.

Starting Jan. 18 the business class snacks have been discontinued. The new snacks are the SWA Select-a-Snack Boxes. Consisting if Oreos, Ritz Cheese Bits and Lorna Doone shortbread cookies. Snacks will rotate every few months. This will be for all flights. Reported by CitrusFA

Drink Coupons Interchangeable UPDATED: 3/5/2014

Although never announced back in September of 2013 Southwest and Airtran began accepting each others Free Drink Coupons, according to Airtran Elite Customer Service.

Everyday is a New Day

One thing that is apparent through this process is that not everyone gets all of the memos. People are seeing glitches all the time especially when Southwest and Airtran systems need to interface. New changes are constantly surfacing.

Please Help Keep Everyone Informed

Southwest has not been actively in informing people of changes. Sometimes things just happen so we need everyone's help in keeping all of us informed.
Print Wikipost

Southwest Airtran Integration - Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by naumank
I just booked a flight from SJC-LAS-ATL on Airtran via our corporate travel site. The SJC-LAS leg is operated by WN. I have never flown on Airtran but I do have a Rapid Rewards account.

Two questions:

1. Do I have to registered for an A+ account to get the credits for the two legs?
Most Airtran flights can be booked through either Airtran or Southwest. The answer depends on where the flight was booked.

If booked through Southwest.com you simply need to have your Rapid Rewards number listed in the reservation.

If booked through Airtran.com you will need an A+ Rewards account to get credit and that number needs to be assigned to the reservation.

2. Is there a way to get Rapid Rewards points?
If booked with Southwest it's automatic.

If booked through Airtran you will get A+ Credits. These credits will automatically be converted to Southwest points ( 1 Credit = 1200 points) after November 1st when the A+ Rewards program is terminated.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:04 pm

Hello all, trying to book an award flight using WN points. Currently trying to find mex-las. As of now it only shows biz award with layover through SAT on FL then to LAS on WN. There is however coach availability just MEX-SAT on FL.

I guess the problem is it seems to not to show availability due to the 2nd leg of the flight being WN and the first FL.

One solution is just to pay for the flight, but I have the points and rather do that.

2nd solution was to book 8 credits MEX-SAT via airtran website, then SAT-LAS on WN website as seperate bookings. This option seems nonviable due to the fact that i still pay $70 taxes on the first flight, lose 8 credits and then more WN points for the 2nd leg.

Is there a way to call in and book the whole thing for 8 credits? or just on WN points? WN website redirects me to FL website to book.

Thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goober153
Hello all, trying to book an award flight using WN points. Currently trying to find mex-las. As of now it only shows biz award with layover through SAT on FL then to LAS on WN. There is however coach availability just MEX-SAT on FL.

I guess the problem is it seems to not to show availability due to the 2nd leg of the flight being WN and the first FL.

One solution is just to pay for the flight, but I have the points and rather do that.

2nd solution was to book 8 credits MEX-SAT via airtran website, then SAT-LAS on WN website as seperate bookings. This option seems nonviable due to the fact that i still pay $70 taxes on the first flight, lose 8 credits and then more WN points for the 2nd leg.

Is there a way to call in and book the whole thing for 8 credits? or just on WN points? WN website redirects me to FL website to book.

Thanks!
All Airtran A+ Rewards Flights are capacity controlled. so there may not be any seats available when you want to go. These flights are popular and the seats go fast. There are seats showing in late August. Unfortunately there is no way to avoid the taxes on International flights.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
All Airtran A+ Rewards Flights are capacity controlled. so there may not be any seats available when you want to go. These flights are popular and the seats go fast. There are seats showing in late August. Unfortunately there is no way to avoid the taxes on International flights.
well I guess what I'm saying is that when I search MEX-SAT on airtran, the coach seat is available. When I search WN SAT-LAS there are of course multiple coach seats available due to the revenue based award system.

So through airtrain on WN flights, those are capacity controlled too?

It seems odd that I can book the second WN flight on coach when I cannot do it through airtran. thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goober153
well I guess what I'm saying is that when I search MEX-SAT on airtran, the coach seat is available. When I search WN SAT-LAS there are of course multiple coach seats available due to the revenue based award system.
As far as I know the Southwest points system in not capacity controlled, but the price in points will go up depending on whatever formula Southwest uses to determine price.

So through Airtrain on WN flights, those are capacity controlled too?

It seems odd that I can book the second WN flight on coach when I cannot do it through airtran. thanks.
I'm not sure I'm following here.

There are two separate systems Southwest uses for Rapid Rewards flights, Standard Awards (or Airtran Credits a Standard Award = 8 Credits) which are good for a one way flight and are capacity controlled and Rapid Rewards Points which are not capacity controlled (as far as I know) but the price in points is variable based on Southwest's pricing formulas.

In practice if the price in points is more than 9,600 and the flight is available using Airtran Credits or Rapid Rewards Standard Awards , it is "cheaper" to use Credits or Standard Awards, if you have or can manufacture them.

Why are you booking two separate flights when you can book MEX-LAS as a single flight, including whatever connection is required on Airtran?

Using Airtran Credits for Business Class would be 16 credits, the same as booking two separate flights using either Airtran Credits or Southwest Standard Awards and probably cheaper than using Southwest points for the Southwest portion, plus you would get free drinks and a big chair on Airtran, on Southwest you would get a free drink and an A 1-15 boarding number.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jul 16, 2014 at 11:02 am
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Status Matches no longer possible?

A member just reported in the Southwest Forum that Status Matches are no longer possible.

AirTran and was transferred to the "elite desk" which told me that status matches are no longer possible until the merge of programs occurs, her computers won't allow it, and "our systems aren't talking to each other like that now."
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Check Your Vouchers!

Recent reports indicate that Airtran will convert vouchers to Southwest but the process takes between 7 and 30 days. The voucher may be unavailable for use during that time. I don't know if any Airtran Vouchers have expiration dates beyond November 1, but as far as I know there has been no announcement of how those may be handled.

If you have an Airtran Voucher that expires after November 1, please let us know.

For all I know Airtran has been issuing LUV vouchers for VDB and other compensation.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
As far as I know the Southwest points system in not capacity controlled, but the price in points will go up depending on whatever formula Southwest uses to determine price.
Basically, for Wanna Get Away fares, 70 points equals $1 of pretax fare. So if it is a $200 flight before taxes it will be 14,000 points. For Anytime fares (refundable) the ratio is 100 and for Business Select it is 120 points. Apart from that the ratio used to be 60 points instead of 70:$1, I prefer the new system. Yes, it now takes about 5-6 round trips to get a free flight vs a flat 4 before, but every single seat is now available for redemption. I fly last minute a lot an so rack up tons of Business Select points. As long as I book a rewards flight a week or so in advance I can get a decent fare.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Airtran has closed their Elite and A2B toll free numbers.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Aug 20, 2014 at 10:41 am
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Poster

A-List for Airtran Elites.

Southwest has apparently extended the A-List status to any Airtran Elites whose expiration date is after November 1 untill December 31 2015.

Some people have been notified. My wife got an email, but I didn't. However my status has been extended.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:42 am

FL website after 10/15/2014

Message appearing for A+Rewards members:

Note: After October 15, 2014, you will not be able to make updates to your account. If you need to change your name on your ticket from October 15-November 1, please call 1-800-AIR-TRAN (1-800-247-8726) between 7am and 7pm ET.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:47 pm

can i change my southwest account designee for airtran credits

I have Airtran credits. My current Airtran account is linked to one Southwest account. Can I change that Southwest account so that a different account (also in my name-long story) is the designee when Airtran credits are converted to SW?

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trey
I have Airtran credits. My current Airtran account is linked to one Southwest account. Can I change that Southwest account so that a different account (also in my name-long story) is the designee when Airtran credits are converted to SW?

Thanks
You should ask Southwest about that.

Some years ago my wife ended up with 2 accounts in her name (long story). She called and they merged them. I'm assuming they will do the same now once they are satisfied they are both your accounts.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:51 am

Chase Airtran CC to Chase Southwest CC

Just received a letter about Chase replacing my Airtran CC with the Southwest RR Plus CC. Is it worth it to apply for the Southwest CC special offer offering 50,000 RR points for spending $2,000 before the automatic issuance or is the issuance already in the works? If the latter, would it be reasonable to request Chase match the special offer for Southwest RR points? Thank you.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:02 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by heyvinny89
Just received a letter about Chase replacing my Airtran CC with the Southwest RR Plus CC. Is it worth it to apply for the Southwest CC special offer offering 50,000 RR points for spending $2,000 before the automatic issuance or is the issuance already in the works? If the latter, would it be reasonable to request Chase match the special offer for Southwest RR points? Thank you.
Chase's new language is that you don't qualify for a new card bonus if you have received the same or similar bonus within the past 24 months. So in theory you should be able to cancel your new SWA card anytime and apply for a new one and get the bonus.

Still, I would cancel the account immediately to avoid receiving any RR Visa card that you didn't apply for. Please report your results on getting the 50k which I presume you want to delay earning until 2015 for Companion Pass purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.