Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

New AirTran credit card: Targeted (?) offer for 32 credits!!

Old Mar 22, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: italdesign
Application link (as of March 23, 2014): https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWeb/renderApp.do?CELL=626D&PROMO=DF01&SPID=F2SK

No landing page available.
Print Wikipost

New AirTran credit card: Targeted (?) offer for 32 credits!!

Old Nov 20, 2012, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Correction to myself. I didn't get 32 A+ rewards. I got 33.

Nov 20, 2012 - ChaseVisaVW 33.00 33.00 Nov 20, 2013

33 rewards instead of 32 and NO business class upgrades. Go figure. Now I know that they have no idea what they are issuing.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Update:

Just got off the phone with what seemed to be a very competent Chase rep. I am being told that the business class upgrades come in the form of an EMAIL from Airtran. The email will contain voucher codes to be used for the upgrades. This is what I am being told. The Chase rep actually had to put me on hold and call Airtran.

What bothers me about this is that the promo -- while being a good promo -- isn't what it says. It says that the business class upgrades are on FIRST USE. Then they footnote that statement and say 6-8 weeks to receive the business class upgrades. So you get nothing at first use. The upgrades are given after 6 - 8 weeks of first use of card.

@zornoff - the 64 credits are a mistake. You may want to do nothing and leave them there, or you may want to convert them over to WN for "safe keeping." If they catch the mistake they will likely claw some of them back out.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
Update:

Just got off the phone with what seemed to be a very competent Chase rep. I am being told that the business class upgrades come in the form of an EMAIL from Airtran. The email will contain voucher codes to be used for the upgrades. This is what I am being told. The Chase rep actually had to put me on hold and call Airtran.

What bothers me about this is that the promo -- while being a good promo -- isn't what it says. It says that the business class upgrades are on FIRST USE. Then they footnote that statement and say 6-8 weeks to receive the business class upgrades. So you get nothing at first use. The upgrades are given after 6 - 8 weeks of first use of card.

@zornoff - the 64 credits are a mistake. You may want to do nothing and leave them there, or you may want to convert them over to WN for "safe keeping." If they catch the mistake they will likely claw some of them back out.
It's obvious they are grasping at straws here. Convert them to WN? You mean Southwest points?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by thexfactor
Yes, two different banks. Should be no problem.
You would think that having the Barclays card wouldn't preclude one from getting the Chase one - but with my application I got a letter saying "I already have an air tran rewards card" and they didn't even run my credit.

So at least in the case of me, it was a problem.

One you've earned points and they get an expiration date, cancelling ones airtran card from Barclays won't retroactively change the expiration date of earned credits, should it? Anyone know for certain?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:52 am

See post #65

AFAIK, once the points have been sent to FL, it is a done deal
Old Nov 22, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
So if my husband cancels the Airtran Barclay he already has with the credits having a 2 year expiration date should he transfer them to Southwest so that the expiration remains the same? or doesn't that apply?
He would cancel the Barclay Airtran yet still keep the credits for 2 years? seems that it would drop down to 1 year ?? Who would I call about this? Airtran or Barclays?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 10:56 am

I would start with FL...they are the custodian's of the credits belonging to your husband. Logically, it woule seem that credits earned through Barclay's would be good for two years no matter what the current status of the account.

Originally Posted by duranza
So if my husband cancels the Airtran Barclay he already has with the credits having a 2 year expiration date should he transfer them to Southwest so that the expiration remains the same? or doesn't that apply?
He would cancel the Barclay Airtran yet still keep the credits for 2 years? seems that it would drop down to 1 year ?? Who would I call about this? Airtran or Barclays?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:13 pm

Email received today, promoting the card, and advising to accept "before December 6, 2012 to claim this exclusive offer."
Old Nov 29, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: AT Elite, US Silver, MR Silver, HH Gold, BA Blue
Originally Posted by mke9499
Email received today, promoting the card, and advising to accept "before December 6, 2012 to claim this exclusive offer."
Got this as well, and I fly out of MKE.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:44 am
Suspended

Status report - 6 1/2 weeks so far and no "business class upgrades" have appeared yet.

Has anyone received the upgrades yet?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, A3 Gold, WN CP, and lots of points everywhere.
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
Status report - 6 1/2 weeks so far and no "business class upgrades" have appeared yet.

Has anyone received the upgrades yet?
Nope but I'm at 8 weeks since first purchase today... and we fly Friday night for a quick anniversary trip to SJU. Time to go shake the tree and see if I can get the upgrade certs released. Doubtful but I'm going to take a run at it.

Going back to some earlier lucky comment(s). My wife didn't hit the spending goal on her first statement but did get double credits (2 instead of 1). I didn't. Fingers crossed that by some fluke, I/we get so lucky! We'll both be past our $2k threshold by the next statement close.

SUCCESS : See post #89.

Last edited by msp2msy; Dec 4, 2012 at 10:25 am
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:18 am

32 credits for 24 months & upgrade

Hi,

the original credit card offer that I received in October said that if you spent $2K in 3 months, you would recieve 32 flight credits and that Air Tran would issue a roundtrip flight for ever 16 credist accumulated during any consectutive 24 month period. The 34 credits that posted to my account are only good for 12 months. I have called several times because this seems like deceptive advertising. Nor have I seen the business class upgrade.

I am thinking that this deal is not so good.

Unhappy with the response
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by dorothymp
Hi,

the original credit card offer that I received in October said that if you spent $2K in 3 months, you would recieve 32 flight credits and that Air Tran would issue a roundtrip flight for ever 16 credist accumulated during any consectutive 24 month period. The 34 credits that posted to my account are only good for 12 months. I have called several times because this seems like deceptive advertising. Nor have I seen the business class upgrade.

I am thinking that this deal is not so good.

Unhappy with the response
(edited after I read the link I originally posted in detail)

I noticed that too today. And it's too bad. I really thought they'd incorporate the 2-year feature of Barclay's Airtran card.

Annoying but not that big a deal... In the link I originally posted, the "transfer two step" section's last bullet notes:
"Just move the two half-awards, one at a time, to AirTran at 8 credits each. Then move the 16 AirTran credits back to Southwest. Logout and log back in to My Southwest. You will see two new one-way awards, each valid for a full year and non-extendible."

This doesn't directly perform what you're looking to accomplish but is the seed. Let's say that you use 16 of your 32 credits in the next 10 months. Then you're left with 16 more that are nearing expiration (e.g. in Oct 2013). The following should work (assuming technology doesn't change):
* Transfer 16 credits from Airtran to Southwest.
* Create a Southwest "standard" award. Two coupons will be issued expiring in Oct 2014. You could always just hold at this point and use them for Southwest flights.
* If you want to use them for Airtran, transfer the Southwest coupons back to Airtran and they should result in 8 credits each (16 total) with an expiration of Oct 2014.

You NEED 16 credits to accomplish this.

It can get complicated. If working Southwest and Airtran programs, it pays to know the in's and out's about credit transfers, old standard awards, Southwest companion passes, business class upgrades on Airtran, Chase Ultimate Reward transfers to Southwest, free cancellations of Southwest award tickets, Southwest points to Credits conversion, and I might add the triple Airtran Hertz credit (1.5 credits per rental).

Definitely worth some time to understand to get the most out of these two semi-related programs.

Good luck!

Last edited by msp2msy; Dec 4, 2012 at 10:41 am
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:21 am

Success - In possession of business class upgrades!

Originally Posted by msp2msy
Nope but I'm at 8 weeks since first purchase today... and we fly Friday night for a quick anniversary trip to SJU. Time to go shake the tree and see if I can get the upgrade certs released. Doubtful but I'm going to take a run at it.

Going back to some earlier lucky comment(s). My wife didn't hit the spending goal on her first statement but did get double credits (2 instead of 1). I didn't. Fingers crossed that by some fluke, I/we get so lucky! We'll both be past our $2k threshold by the next statement close.
Checked Airtran activity in detail - saw nothing new. Called Chase this AM and they generally didn't seem to know what was going on... Just to make sure, I called Airtran and explained what I was looking for, fully expecting failure They saw no vouchers on my account but dug a bit deeper and said they saw my account contained notes that I was to receive 2 business class one-way upgrades. The notes were added about a week ago and include an expiration 12 months and 2 days later.

This was about 7 weeks after my first purchase and about 1 week after my 2nd statement so the dates don't clearly line-up with any given event.

The agent confirmed that they should be treated as a normal upgrade voucher, namely that:
* You request them at 24 hours before flying.
* They may be used on multiple segments on the one-way (not round-trip).

Bottom line: Ask Airtran A+ rewards desk to check the notes on your account!

Best of all for me... All 12 seats up front are open on the seat map for my MCO-SJU flight on Friday and a request to buy 8 seats up front appears to be pricing. Thinking my odds are good.

Because I'm frugal (cheap?) though, I admit I'm a little disappointed they didn't come as credits I could transfer to Southwest and leverage with my CP.

Still, no complaints!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:45 am

Credits updated to 2 year expiration last night...

Both the credits in my wife's and my accounts updated to 2 years expiration last night. And they took away her one extra credit. Darn. Am I being watched?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.