Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL Gate attendent

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

ATL Gate attendent

So yesterday I flew the ATL-MCI route, the gate attendant closed the gate before the 10 minute deadline stranding 3 pax in ATL. Two passengers made the 11:50pm flight. the original flight was at 3:50.

the gate attendant had left her counter, went down the jetway chatting with the FA's until the plane was ready to pull away, then she came back to her counter, punched a few things the computer then said that because it was within the 10 minute window we wern't allowed to board.

In case you missed it, we were all there 10 minutes prior.

Customer service offered no apologies, compensation, and basically called the three of us liars defending the actions of the gate attendant.

I fly twice a month almost exclusively southwest. Think I'll just stick with Southwest for a while.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Cool

Originally Posted by Ski Patrol Dan
So yesterday I flew the ATL-MCI route, the gate attendant closed the gate before the 10 minute deadline stranding 3 pax in ATL. Two passengers made the 11:50pm flight. the original flight was at 3:50.

the gate attendant had left her counter, went down the jetway chatting with the FA's until the plane was ready to pull away, then she came back to her counter, punched a few things the computer then said that because it was within the 10 minute window we wern't allowed to board.

In case you missed it, we were all there 10 minutes prior.

Customer service offered no apologies, compensation, and basically called the three of us liars defending the actions of the gate attendant.

I fly twice a month almost exclusively southwest. Think I'll just stick with Southwest for a while.
WN=FL
Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Ski Patrol Dan
Three passengers tell an identical story that's refuted by customer service?

Do hope one of them follows up and posts any outcome.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:42 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
This happened to me once on Airtran. Closed with 15 min left. And refused to budge. The plane did not even leave early. I was really pissed. But then many more times, Airtran has bailed me out with their flexibility with opening.

Just two weeks ago, my mom was sitting in the flight in business class. I told her not to wait for me outside. I parked the car(curbside checkin closed after 8;30 which I was not aware of and delayed my masterplan) and got to the terminal at 10 for a 10:20 flight. I ran all the way through security and to the LAST gate C1 of C terminal and reached there at 10:12. The door just closed(my mom was checking with me every 5 min and begging the GA to leave it open). So in desperation, I went to the big window and waved my hands at the plane hoping someone would see me. As luck would have it, the pilot saw me, kind of guessed that I was the one my mom was waiting for and asked the GA to let me in. Also another Airtran employee was passing by and alerted the GA too around the same time. Result: I was a very happy guy. I waited for the pilot after I left the plane and thanked him. Very nice guy. The crew was fantastic and did not show me any irritation.

Many years ago, Airtran let me board at exactly the same time it was scheduled to leave(before the 10 min thing was really strict). I was in BC that time too and so I was able to slink in my seat without having to pass through stares of my fellow passengers. Thankfully, I did not cause a delay either time.

Once in a while yo;u will find some terrible employees in customer service, but for the most part, I love airtran.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
On a separate trip from PBI to ATL recently, the ticket/gate agent fellow (young guy, I think his name was Steven) was outstanding. While I travel to PBI 12 times a year, it's not enough for him to remember my name. He had my ticket ready and appraised me of my elite waiting list number as I was putting some newsppaers in my suitcase before approaching the ticket counter. Since he had nothing to do, he was using that time to prep for my ticket.
He is also the same guy who on prior visits would issue my free upgrades even before the 40 min mark.
Great attitude. And not just him. The GAs were great too. A lot of them have been there for a while too. So nice stability.

Last edited by saneman; Jun 20, 2012 at 5:51 am
Old Jun 15, 2012, 3:54 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Often1
WN=FL
No it doesn't. They each have their own employees and policies.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by lougord99
Taking your business from one to the other while the paperwork for the SOC is being prepared is a folly.

And, policy has zippo to do with it. Presuming the accuracy of OP's post, he was at the gate in a timely manner and the GA was yakking with the FA down the jetway. Even on kettle-heavy WN, that's still likely not acceptable employee conduct.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Yet another plug for WN in the FL forum . Seems to be standard operating procedure for the FL forum lately.

OP,

I don't think I believe it. Did you get the gate attendant's name that didn't attend to the gate? I'm sure you got her name, right?
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
As an occasional GA I prepare myself to defuse such claims..

1) There is no reason I would ever close a flight prior to 10 mins without all checked in passengers boarded. Doing so invites a very costly DOT denied boarding claim.

2) I print the headcount info sent to the aircraft at gate close as it has a timestamp on it.

3) I show the passenger(s) the timestamp recorded on their PNR when I removed them from checked-in. Yes, every single change to a PNR is recorded with employee number and timestamped.

Even faced with all the proof some passengers still say I closed the gate too early.

And yes, as another poster noted regarding waving through the window I have had CAs say I promise an ontime to get them on. One CA went as far as to follow me up the jetway invite the passengers to board and he himself stowed the passengers bags in overhead bins. In this case he knew he had his pre departure things done.

Last edited by traveller001; Jun 16, 2012 at 1:26 pm
Old Jun 16, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
I have had early flights with doors closed early on me with Delta and other carriers as well. This was a problem with AirTran a few years ago; the attitude at the gate was sloppy and pretty rude to the passengers involved. They run it much better now.

But I still don't know why AirTran has such a fetish about closing the door early in the first place. In the UK, a private train operator that runs ahead of the printed schedule is severely penalized by the regulators.

The plethora of 10-20-15 minute rules and signs with the different carriers, and the changing set of deadlines for getting BP's out at the counters in front is confusing. And then to see the meager results of closing the door early -- the plane often just sitting the extra time -- does make passengers feel it is just another set of "gotcha" rules to put the airline in charge. The last ten minutes becomes a time zone the airline can use as it pleases.

Not sure if the OP is saying a fight was delayed 8 hours and then left ten minutes before an estimated departure time?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Justin026
Not sure if the OP is saying a fight was delayed 8 hours and then left ten minutes before an estimated departure time?
The usual sources say the flight was dispatched on time. The next ATL-MCI run was late-evening and itself left late.

I don't understand how three pax could confront customer service en masse about being denied boarding 10+ minutes before a flight and not be believed. Or that none pursued it further, stuck 7 hours at the airport.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Airtran sent me a letter of apology and a $50 travel voucher yesterday.

but I do think they could have handled their investigation better.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by lougord99

Their flair says "One LUV".
Old Jun 19, 2012, 9:41 am
Original Poster

from what I've seen their "one luv" so far has been limited to just that, their flair, and then shifting gates around at the airport. Rumor has it they've been cross-training the airtran pilots.

I did like their first class seats that better, and I am a fan of assigned seating. but I enjoy southwest hospitality more.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:52 am
Suspended

Blah blah blah, WN BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.