What I discovered yesterday:

Subscribe
Quote: LOL It took this long? When was the last time you had a hotel room numbered 13? Or an elevator that had a 13 button. Superstition!

PS there's no row 4-9 either
My girlfriend's condo building has a 13th floor. The building is only 2 years old.
Is there a story behind the no rows 4-9 thing?
Quote: Is there a story behind the no rows 4-9 thing?
Tetraphobia. In some asian languages (including chinese) the word for four sounds like the word for death.

The japanese word for nine sounds like the word for suffering.
Quote: Is there a story behind the no rows 4-9 thing?
Quote: Tetraphobia. In some asian languages (including chinese) the word for four sounds like the word for death.

The japanese word for nine sounds like the word for suffering.
More likely, I believe it's done to create a clear delineation between Business Class and Coach. Business Class = single digit numbers, Coach = double digit numbers. Makes it a little less plausible when the kettle tries to self-upgrade to 3A, feigning ignorance that they were actually assigned to 10A.
10A isn't so bad

Lots of legroom, nice window view
Quote: 10A isn't so bad

On the 717 yes...
Quote: More likely, I believe it's done to create a clear delineation between Business Class and Coach. Business Class = single digit numbers, Coach = double digit numbers. Makes it a little less plausible when the kettle tries to self-upgrade to 3A, feigning ignorance that they were actually assigned to 10A.
Or maybe since the 737 safety cards are for both 700 and 800 models there was perhaps a larger business class planned on a future 800? That would about cover the extra length... If an FL 737-800 were flying international routes BC would likely sell out. It's all just a stupid guess...
Quote: 10A isn't so bad

But compared to a BC seat: no free booze, no snack basket and no generous seat width. Actually saw a woman try to self-upgrade on a DL flight (BWI-ATL) I took last week. She acted all confused when the seat's rightful owners showed up toward the end of boarding. Really lady? Those overhead numbers are that hard to interpret, especially when they are physically divided by a curtain?
Quote: But compared to a BC seat: no free booze, no snack basket and no generous seat width. ...
No upgrade fee either
When free upgrades are unavailable I usually remember to ask if 10C is available - I prefer this seat to those in the exit row.
Quote: When free upgrades are unavailable I usually remember to ask if 10C is available - I prefer this seat to those in the exit row.
You fly 717s mostly I assume... stick with exit on a 737!