Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 2, 12, 11:12 am   #16
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SEA
Programs: UA Plat (former 1K)
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveller001 View Post
LOL It took this long? When was the last time you had a hotel room numbered 13? Or an elevator that had a 13 button. Superstition!

PS there's no row 4-9 either
My girlfriend's condo building has a 13th floor. The building is only 2 years old.
poverty.jet.set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 12, 8:02 pm   #17
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,227
Is there a story behind the no rows 4-9 thing?
will2288 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 12, 1:52 am   #18
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The city of sex and drugs and KLM
Programs: KLM FB, BA EC, Miles&Mafia, Delta SM, Mile High Club
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by will2288 View Post
Is there a story behind the no rows 4-9 thing?
Tetraphobia. In some asian languages (including chinese) the word for four sounds like the word for death.

The japanese word for nine sounds like the word for suffering.
__________________
my list of frequent flyer programs for the disloyal: miles.site666.info
Diabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 12, 8:46 am   #19
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ATL
Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by will2288 View Post
Is there a story behind the no rows 4-9 thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabo View Post
Tetraphobia. In some asian languages (including chinese) the word for four sounds like the word for death.

The japanese word for nine sounds like the word for suffering.
More likely, I believe it's done to create a clear delineation between Business Class and Coach. Business Class = single digit numbers, Coach = double digit numbers. Makes it a little less plausible when the kettle tries to self-upgrade to 3A, feigning ignorance that they were actually assigned to 10A.
plagwate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 12, 5:10 pm   #20
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 646
10A isn't so bad

Lots of legroom, nice window view
henryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 12, 10:47 pm   #21
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryf View Post
10A isn't so bad

Lots of legroom, nice window view
On the 717 yes...
traveller001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 12, 11:01 pm   #22
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by plagwate View Post
More likely, I believe it's done to create a clear delineation between Business Class and Coach. Business Class = single digit numbers, Coach = double digit numbers. Makes it a little less plausible when the kettle tries to self-upgrade to 3A, feigning ignorance that they were actually assigned to 10A.
Or maybe since the 737 safety cards are for both 700 and 800 models there was perhaps a larger business class planned on a future 800? That would about cover the extra length... If an FL 737-800 were flying international routes BC would likely sell out. It's all just a stupid guess...
traveller001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 12, 7:40 am   #23
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ATL
Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Posts: 1,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryf View Post
10A isn't so bad

Lots of legroom, nice window view
But compared to a BC seat: no free booze, no snack basket and no generous seat width. Actually saw a woman try to self-upgrade on a DL flight (BWI-ATL) I took last week. She acted all confused when the seat's rightful owners showed up toward the end of boarding. Really lady? Those overhead numbers are that hard to interpret, especially when they are physically divided by a curtain?
plagwate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 12, 5:27 pm   #24
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by plagwate View Post
But compared to a BC seat: no free booze, no snack basket and no generous seat width. ...
No upgrade fee either
henryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 12, 12:00 pm   #25
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Westchester Co, NY or Rio Grande Valley, TX or ???
Programs: Hanging onto BAEC(G); HH(D); SPG(P); no longer [UA 2P, WN A-, FL A+ Elite, BD G]
Posts: 1,403
When free upgrades are unavailable I usually remember to ask if 10C is available - I prefer this seat to those in the exit row.
HPN-HRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 12, 10:59 pm   #26
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Posts: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL View Post
When free upgrades are unavailable I usually remember to ask if 10C is available - I prefer this seat to those in the exit row.
You fly 717s mostly I assume... stick with exit on a 737!
traveller001 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:50 pm.