Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 22, 12, 6:31 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Programs: Hyatt Diamond; SPG Preferred+
Posts: 389
Newbie Question: Can Business Class Upgrade certificate be used on an award flight?

If I book a coach award using 8 credits can I then use a business class upgrade award to move to business class? Or can the business class upgrades only be used on paid fares? Thanks!
meecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 12, 6:40 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,260
The answer is yes. One of the great things about AirTran (and why I'll miss them) is that you can upgrade the same way regardless of how the reservation was made.
newsmanhoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 12, 8:30 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Programs: Hyatt Diamond; SPG Preferred+
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss View Post
The answer is yes. One of the great things about AirTran (and why I'll miss them) is that you can upgrade the same way regardless of how the reservation was made.
Thanks for the quick reply. I just redeemed 4 credits (two of which were going to expire in the next two days) for an upgrade certificate. I have lots of SW points so I'm aiming to transfer some of them to AirTran credits when that's an option (word is that will happen in Q2 of this year). Will look for a coach award ticket that I can upgrade. Thanks again!
meecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 12, 6:17 am   #4
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by meecal View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I just redeemed 4 credits (two of which were going to expire in the next two days) for an upgrade certificate. I have lots of SW points so I'm aiming to transfer some of them to AirTran credits when that's an option (word is that will happen in Q2 of this year). Will look for a coach award ticket that I can upgrade. Thanks again!
Eventually, you'll be able to convert AirTran credits into Southwest credits, but not the other way around.
newsmanhoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 12, 8:15 am   #5
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Westchester Co, NY or Rio Grande Valley, TX or ???
Programs: Hanging onto BAEC(G); HH(D); SPG(P); no longer [UA 2P, WN A-, FL A+ Elite, BD G]
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss View Post
Eventually, you'll be able to convert AirTran credits into Southwest credits, but not the other way around.
Hoss is probably (almost certainly) correct about this, but to my knowledge nothing official has been stated by WN WRT which way award credits/points can flow, or at what rate of conversion (or if any conversion will even be allowed).

Back to the topic: absolutely any fare (including award tickets) can currently be combined with a 4-credit voucher to be upgraded to business class - I have done this quite often. It's so much nicer than the legacy carriers who require you to purchase a higher fare just to enter an "upgrade lottery"!
HPN-HRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 12, 6:35 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Posts: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss View Post
Eventually, you'll be able to convert AirTran credits into Southwest credits, but not the other way around.
Seems to be differing news on this. FL flying will continue for some time with many desirable routes new to RR members. Points are an obligation/possible debt to airlines and every way to use them is almost like real money.
traveller001 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:22 am.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.