Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Same aircraft, different flight number -- Can I stay on the plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:07 am
Original Poster

I am flying BWI -> LAS with a connection at MKE. It appears that the same aircraft will be used for both segments, but different flight numbers (it's essentially a connecting flight). If that is the case, will I be allowed to stay on the airplane in Milwaukee or will I need to get off and then reboard? At a minimum will I at least be allowed to leave my suitcase on the plane?

Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:25 am

IME if there is a crew change, regardless of flight number, you and your stuff must deplane.

I'd be prepared to get off.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:28 am

You will need to get off the plane and reboard (so your BP is scanned).

I would also bring the items with you. Otherwise, they might be taken to lost & found.

Too bad they didn't make it a thru-flight...would have been a lot easier for you!

Take a stroll through the airport instead. Concourse C at MKE is nice!

Last edited by newsmanhoss; Dec 13, 2011 at 10:38 am
Old Dec 13, 2011, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

I plan to take a quick stroll since it's my first time flying through there, but unfortunately only have a 40-minute connection. I just wish it was concourse D so I could pick up some sausages.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by emt68
I plan to take a quick stroll since it's my first time flying through there, but unfortunately only have a 40-minute connection. I just wish it was concourse D so I could pick up some sausages.
Security on Concourse D will probably allow you thru with your boarding pass for the connection; just tell them you want some food on D. I would check the length of the security line to re-enter, before you exit your concourse, though; sometimes, it can get backed up at peak times, unless you are going thru the priority line.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:42 pm

You'll definitely be asked to deplane. Don't wander too far as AirTran re boards in a hurry. It's a pretty well oiled operation on Concourse C.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:04 am

40 minutes is basically unload/reload. There will be almost no time between last passenger off and starting boarding the departure. If you are up front and don't care about overhead space, you will have about 20-25 minutes in the terminal. If you're in the back, you could have almost no time at all.

This is an odd reverse of that situation. I recently flew DL RT from ATL to IST. That flight has a single flight number but you change planes (and terminals) at JFK in both directions. IMO, a very silly way to publish the flight. It's a connection. You get off of one plane and board another one. Lots of confusion at JFK for people that hadn't read the details of their itinerary closely, especially outbound. (You have to do customs and immigration at JFK coming back. I think that even if it was the same plane, they would have to unload it an send everybody through the entry process. But I'm not sure. I've never been on a flight that continued on the same plane after an international landing in the US.)
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Just to follow up: The same crew flew both segments of the flight, but I still had to deplane, wait about 10 minutes, then reboard.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 10:26 pm

Just to follow up: The same crew flew both segments of the flight, but I still had to deplane, wait about 10 minutes, then reboard.
I was the first to board in BC the other day and noticed that quite a few coach pax were already on board from the previous flight so it does happen.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
I was the first to board in BC the other day and noticed that quite a few coach pax were already on board from the previous flight so it does happen.
Apparently, at crews discretion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.