Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
So Much for the Southwest Effect...

From the AJC:

Southwest hikes prices on business travelers
The Associated Press

4:37 p.m. Friday, September 9, 2011
DALLAS — Southwest Airlines Co. said Friday it matched other airlines in raising prices on tickets favored by business travelers.

Southwest's action virtually ensured that the increase of $6 to $10 per round trip will stick. The increase applies to last-minute tickets often purchased by corporate travelers.

The airlines left prices unchanged on advance-purchase tickets used more often by leisure travelers.

Jaime Baker, an analyst with J.P. Morgan who tracks fares, said Southwest was the last and most important major airline to go along with the increase on business travelers. If Southwest — the nation's largest discount airline and a price-setter on many routes — had balked, it could have forced other airlines to roll back the increase.

US Airways, Delta, United and Continental confirmed that they raised prices this week, indicating that the airlines are confident about business-travel demand heading into the fall.

This week, United Continental Holdings Inc., US Airways Group Inc. and Southwest reported that an important revenue ratio rose between 6 to 11 percent last month compared with August 2010. That was thanks to full planes and about 10 broad price increases this year.

Baker said the August revenue numbers indicate that demand for corporate travel hasn't slowed down despite the weak economy. But he predicted that business travel will weaken in the fourth quarter.

___
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:05 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
The "southwest effect" is pretty much dead. WN's fares have increased over the years to match the legacies.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
if you are an Atlanta based traveler, I guess we can say goodbye to those sub 100 dollar fares if we book a week in advance. Airtran has been good about opening up sale fares to even as late as a week in advance in some cases. I can never book 3-4 weeks in advance.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by saneman
I can never book 3-4 weeks in advance.
You will never get a reasonable fare on Southwest. Advance booking is the only possibility.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Yeah, I typically book a week to three weeks in advance. Airtran has been very good to me that way.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:31 pm

Southwest has been living off its reputation for low fares for a long time. There's nothing special about their everyday fares anymore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.