Gone: PHF, ACY, AVL, MLI

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Gone: PHF, ACY, AVL, MLI

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/08/sout...t-newport-news
http://insidebiz.com/news/southwest-...t-newport-news

Two articles released today. One states that PHF was announced to be cut while the other mentions that ACY, MLI, and AVL are also to be cut.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow, unfortunately, we are very extremely disappointed the news to hear. Why they cut the city? I cannot not believe it. PHF has been very successful. Maybe someday in the future if they will be back to PHF, ACY, MLI and few others. If they have enough more profitable routes. PHF is a very popular route. FL has already flies those 2 routes in between ORF & RIC, too. Do you really think WN/FL will announced more specific new routes or etc.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
It was going to be either ORF or PHF and I couldn't see them dumping a legacy WN station.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
So is this The Southwest Effect 2.0? Sounds pretty crappy if you're a ACY, AVL, MLI or PHF customer. But hey everyone, bags fly free!
Old Aug 1, 2011, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by plagwate
So is this The Southwest Effect 2.0? Sounds pretty crappy if you're a ACY, AVL, MLI or PHF customer. But hey everyone, bags fly free!
Not! I don't want to get free checked bags. They should be charging with checked bags.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:00 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Thumbs down

Sad to see this. When I lived in PHF I had flown PHF-LGA/BOS/MCO/ATL, which is to say, every FL route from PHF.

Whoever made this decision obviously has never driven to ORF via the bridge tunnel. While it is a relatively short drive PHF-ORF, when departing from ORF one would need to leave at least a couple hours earlier just in case of traffic.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:16 pm

Not cool. I was a fan of the ACY service...so long quick weekend trips...
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:44 pm

Technically, the ACY serviced was affected by the ACY-ATL subsidy, which was set to expire:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/a...cc4c002e0.html

So, even if Southwest didn't purchase AirTran, AirTran would be likely be making the same decision to pull out of ACY.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by animalj7
Yes, very disappointed news to hear. Why FL pulling out of PHF, ACY, MLI, AVL? I thought those routes has been very successful. I wasn't sure why FL is doing it. Someday in the future if WN/FL will reinstating to MLI, ACY, PHF or AVL. If the economy is improved enough.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by alggag
It was going to be either ORF or PHF and I couldn't see them dumping a legacy WN station.
Google maps puts them less than 30 miles apart.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:18 am

Well, which is it?

Is this an example of the "low fares further" or the "growth" that they sold everyone on when creating this deal?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by traveller001
Google maps puts them less than 30 miles apart.
Have you ever tried to drive in the Hampton Roads area? That 30 mile drive has taken me two hours before! And don't expect another bridge / tunnel to be built any time soon ... RIP PHF (I'm seeing what to expect out of the "Southwest Effect").
Old Aug 2, 2011, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by travelingfool23
Is this an example of the "low fares further" or the "growth" that they sold everyone on when creating this deal?
Check the passenger counts. Check the average fare levels from those cities. Can Southwest deploy the assets (people and aircraft) to make more money somewhere else?
Old Aug 2, 2011, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by animalj7

Airtran is a lame/dead duck. Long live Southwhatever!

I've got a bunch of A+ points that are expiring one by one. I've chosen another airline for loyalty; but the truth is what I've really chosen is not to fly. And I believe that choice hurts everybody in the travel industry. Last year, I was Airtran Elite; this year I did not make one flight on any airline during the first six months of the year.(and no flights means no hotel spends).
I'm down to one free business class roundtrip with Airtran. I just paid my credit card fee, so I'll be getting two of those certs. But I only plan two more flights for this year, and I am very inclined to give those to my new airline of choice for the miles.

IMHO, the best thing Southpest can do is move very quickly to wipe away the last vestiges of Airtran, so the flying public can go ahead and get use to the downgrade.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Any predictions on who goes next?

My money is on:

ABE
MDT
DAY
EYW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.