Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Advice needed for short connection in ATL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:42 am
Original Poster

My son and I are flying PNS-ATL-FNT on the 15th. Our connection time in ATL is tight as it is (37 minutes). Any ideas on how likely we are to make this connection or get bumped to the next flight?

I know that there are several flights from ATL-FNT later that day, but I really don't want to get stuck in ATL overnight.

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by KeriFL
My son and I are flying PNS-ATL-FNT on the 15th. Our connection time in ATL is tight as it is (37 minutes). Any ideas on how likely we are to make this connection or get bumped to the next flight?

I know that there are several flights from ATL-FNT later that day, but I really don't want to get stuck in ATL overnight.

Thanks!
The key is getting your first flight on time. What time of day do you depart?

AirTran uses two concourses at ATL. If your first flight is on time, you will have enough time to connect, even if you have to change concourses.

Even if your first flight is delayed, your next one might be, too, so all hope is not lost.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

We are on the first flight of the morning out of PNS (6 am). I am just concerned that our first flight might run late and we will miss the connection in ATL.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by KeriFL
We are on the first flight of the morning out of PNS (6 am). I am just concerned that our first flight might run late and we will miss the connection in ATL.
First flights of the day can help that situation a lot. There is a smaller chance of a delay if you're the first one out.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Hi there, welcome to Flyertalk!

That being said, airlines create what's called the "MCT" or Minimum Connection Time. This is the minimum amount of time where they will allow a passenger to connect if travel is being purchased on one ticket. For Airtran in Atlanta, the MCT for domestic to domestic transfers is 30 minutes. What this means to you is that you don't have a ton of time to spare and plan on hustling from your arrival gate to your departure gate. Also, try to sit near the front of the plane.

As far as other ATL-FNT flights on FL, it appears that they fly 4 non-stops a day. At this time, all of the nonstops are showing at least 6 seats for sale but the planes likely have a fair amount of space as FL is willing to sell into low fare buckets.

Good luck!

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 9, 2011 at 9:27 am Reason: Removed material no longer relevant after thread re-title
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Airtran did that to me a couple of times while connecting in ATL. I remember that I had to RUN in order to catch my connecting flight, because it was in another concourse.

As you are coming in for a landing ask the flight attendant which gate you will be arriving at. If she says that she doesn't know ask her to ask the pilot. Then compare with whatever gate you have to get to. That will at least let you mentally prepare yourself as to whether or not you have to run to another concourse. Hopefully, not.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
Airtran did that to me a couple of times while connecting in ATL. I remember that I had to RUN in order to catch my connecting flight, because it was in another concourse.

As you are coming in for a landing ask the flight attendant which gate you will be arriving at. If she says that she doesn't know ask her to ask the pilot. Then compare with whatever gate you have to get to. That will at least let you mentally prepare yourself as to whether or not you have to run to another concourse. Hopefully, not.
No need to ask the pilot or FA. Access to AirTran.com is free via Gogo. If you've got a laptop, iPad or smartphone, just check just before final approach. You can also check as you taxi to the gate if you have your own Internet access via smartphone.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Yes, but sometimes it changes. I always ask, but that is just me.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM; EK Silver; HH Gold
You should be OK, and you might get lucky if the flights come into the same gates they did today (today, FL 429 for PNS-ATL arrived at C10; and and FL 259 ATL-FNT departed C13 -- and did so late which would be to your advantage should that be ).

And, FWIW, DL is pretty good about automatically re-booking people if one leg is delayed such that it's clear that connections will be missed. Not convenient, of course, but better than nothing.

Best of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.