Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 7, 11, 10:22 am   #1

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Use Southwest Drink Coupons?

I did a quick search and didn't find an answer so I'd like to ask the experts here.

Mrs bj2757 and I are flying to see my in-laws in November on AirTran. I will need several drinks before landing :-)

I have drink coupons from Southwest I probably won't use by then (and they expire shortly after).

Any chance I'd be able to use them on the AirTran flights?

Thanks.
bj2757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 11, 10:30 am   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj2757 View Post
I did a quick search and didn't find an answer so I'd like to ask the experts here.

Mrs bj2757 and I are flying to see my in-laws in November on AirTran. I will need several drinks before landing :-)

I have drink coupons from Southwest I probably won't use by then (and they expire shortly after).

Any chance I'd be able to use them on the AirTran flights?

Thanks.
I doubt it. AirTran is still operating as a separate subsidiary, and they have not consolidated anything yet. No codesharing, no FF partnership, and I'm guessing no drink coupons either.
newsmanhoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 11, 1:38 pm   #3

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, US Silver, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Dia, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
As an Airtran flight attendant eloquently (jokingly) said to a passenger the other day, "Do you see Southwest Airlines painted on this plane? When you see that, we can take those coupons, until then it will be $6."
jdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 11, 2:59 pm   #4

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Hehe - thanks :-)
bj2757 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 11, 7:24 pm   #5

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Since it's a ways off a letter sent to Gary Kelly might just get a favorable response.

Especially if you put it forth exactly as you did here! It made me laugh and I can relate.

If you could mail Herb it would seem like a shoe-in.

Last edited by traveller001; Jul 7, 11 at 10:07 pm.
traveller001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 11, 9:24 pm   #6

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg View Post
As an Airtran flight attendant eloquently (jokingly) said to a passenger the other day, "Do you see Southwest Airlines painted on this plane? When you see that, we can take those coupons, until then it will be $6."
True, but the lanyard holding everyone's ID now reads Southwest Airlines. So obviously the assimilation, appropriately by lasso around the neck, has begun.

FWIW, it doesn't cost anything to ask the FA. I'd give it a try. I've found most FL FA's to be very accommodating, particularly with their A+ Elite members.
plagwate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 11, 10:05 pm   #7

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Actually, the new lanyards for those that have them are "One LUV" bearing both Southwest and Airtran logos.
traveller001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 14, 1:15 pm   #8

Now AirTran accepts Southwest drink coupon

I just returned from my trip with AirTran about two weeks ago and they now accept southwest coupon drink. Luckily I had the coupons with me
Yogivino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 14, 9:29 pm   #9

I was recently told by an Airtran Elite telephone agent that the policy is now for both airlines to accept the others coupons.

I haven't tried yet and expect there to be confusion in the ranks.

Good Luck and report any results
rsteinmetz70112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 14, 9:50 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
I was recently told by an Airtran Elite telephone agent that the policy is now for both airlines to accept the others coupons.

I haven't tried yet and expect there to be confusion in the ranks.

Good Luck and report any results
I had a flight a few days ago and beyond my expectations I got an upgrade flying a Southwest ticket on Airtran.

I had Southwest drink coupons in my wallet, but never had to pull them out.

Next opportunity coming up Wednesday.
Old Mar 15, 14, 8:08 am   #11

Programs: HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum
It was a no for me

I tried to use them in January and was told 'NO".
Tmpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 14, 5:45 pm   #12

I used a SW coupon on an AirTran flight in March.
balbacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 14, 9:08 pm   #13

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass, AirTran A+ Elite, Hertz Gold+ 5-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by balbacm View Post
I used a SW coupon on an AirTran flight in March.
The official notification to Employees to accept "both on either" went out mid-February. Allowing a few weeks for the word to spread, it seems to be pretty smoothly bi-directional now.
Old Aug 12, 14, 4:09 pm   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved5480 View Post
The official notification to Employees to accept "both on either" went out mid-February. Allowing a few weeks for the word to spread, it seems to be pretty smoothly bi-directional now.
Is this official? Spirit Magazine makes no mention of it. If WN ever does another big merger hopefully they don't take this "world's slowest integration" approach. I can't stand AirTran between the uncomfortable seats, assigned seating, lack of PreCheck, and incompatible wifi systems. 12/28/14 can't come soon enough.
KPOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 14, 7:50 am   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Is this official? Spirit Magazine makes no mention of it. If WN ever does another big merger hopefully they don't take this "world's slowest integration" approach. I can't stand AirTran between the uncomfortable seats, assigned seating, lack of PreCheck, and incompatible wifi systems. 12/28/14 can't come soon enough.
Yes it is official my wife recently reaualified for Airtran Elite and in her notification letter there were 4 Southwest drink coupons.

I can't believe you prefer the Southwest Evolve seating to Airtran coach, I guess everyone has different taste.