Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2010, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by flygurl23
Lest we forget business class upgrades also includes 2 free bags. Anyone checking 2 bags in coach would pay $40 so for only $9 more it's a very good deal.
Unless it's a medium ($69), long ($99), or extra long range flight ($129). Even on those flights, it's worth the upgrade fee.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
8/16: SEA-BWI (redeye) - four BC seats left two hours before boarding, hung out at the continental lounge, got to the gate about 55 mins before boarding and they were giving the last BC seat to an elite in front of me. Kind of pissed that they don't follow their own rules (especially when I checked in online, 24 hours exactly) - but had an exit row seat already, so not much of an issue.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdawg
8/16: SEA-BWI (redeye) - four BC seats left two hours before boarding, hung out at the continental lounge, got to the gate about 55 mins before boarding and they were giving the last BC seat to an elite in front of me. Kind of pissed that they don't follow their own rules (especially when I checked in online, 24 hours exactly) - but had an exit row seat already, so not much of an issue.
You were likely one of the first to check in and showed up a full 15 minutes before the deadline, yet you still didn't get it.

It's one thing if all the seats were paid for, but this situation would hack me off too. Even worse is that this is possibly the longest route in the AirTran system.

It's stories like that make me keep redeeming credits for long-haul upgrades.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by jdawg
I would still call Customer Relations and report it. The only way AirTran is going to get this under control is if they know failures in the procedure are still occurring. Besides, they will likely automatically upgrade you for your next flight.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: A+ Elite, Silver Medallion
HPN-ATL 9/8 7:16 AM : Success

Got to gate as boarding was about to begin (45min prior to departure).
GA said BC full, but 1 did not check in. 30min before departure: was given that seat, BC went out full.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Flight 342 MKE-SFO 9/9/10 8:41 departure

Didn't try for an upgrade, but figured I'd share that BC went out full on this flight. In fact, it was full by the previous evening.

I used credits to upgrade me and my three traveling companions. The other 8 seats were occupied when I checked the seat map last night. So, I'm glad I used the credits for this flight, even if it took 16 credits to upgrade the four of us.

I almost always redeem credits for the west coast long-hauls.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:44 am

Programs: A+ Elite, Silver Medallion
On a side note, we took a ATL-LAX flight a couple of weeks ago, and business was full BEFORE I could even use credits to upgrade..haha. (~9AM nonstop)

On the way back, I had no trouble upgrading the 2 of us to BC with credits, and BC went out full. (~11:30 nonstop)
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
ATL-BKG - FL1580 (10:05 a.m., Tuesday, September 7) - checked in online at -24:00 before flight. Arrived at the gate and checked in with the agent at -50 minutes (I went ahead and approached the podium early since another Elite had just done so). Agent informed me that I was first to check-in online and would be first for upgrade if seats were available as she showed me the Elite list in hand. She attempted to sell upgrades twice during the 60+ minutes while I was in the gate area. One sold during this time. When boarding began, the gate agent called me and four others to the podium to exchange our boarding passes for BC upgrades. Plane departed ATL with BC full. It was refreshing to see an ATL gate agent following procedure and proactively assigning BC seats.

BKG-ATL - FL1585 (5:38 p.m., Friday, September 10) - checked in online at -24:00 before flight. Approached the podium at -60 minutes before departure to check on BC availability. Gate Agent went ahead and upgraded me and my traveling companion (who was on a separate itinerary). This was a pleasant surprise since I was only hoping to give my exit row seat to my business partner. BC departed BKG with three vacant seats, which was probably the reason why she upgraded us both. Either that or the GA wasn't as well-versed with the policy since all of the ground employees are contracted and actually operate all of the gates/ticketing for the various airlines. In any case, it made a nice impression since my traveling companion is a hardcore DL customer who RARELY gets upgraded, despite his Gold Medallion status.

Last edited by plagwate; Sep 11, 2010 at 7:33 pm Reason: Thanks Cooger72 - already making plans for October
Old Sep 11, 2010, 7:22 pm

Programs: A+ Elite, Hilton Gold, OA and hotels, member
@plagwate
+1!
I think you meant September instead of October, but what a refreshing change of pace from the normal uneven implementation of the policy!
Old Sep 12, 2010, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Two interesting things when calling to redeem credits for BC upgrade.

--Tried calling at midnight eastern Sunday morning and the elite line was closed. Apparently it's not open late Sat/early Sunday.

--Called back later Sunday morning to redeem credits for Monday's SFO-MKE departing at noon. I did a fake booking to see the seat map, which showed 5 open BC seats. I was planning to use credits to upgrade all four of us traveling together. Phone agent told us that he could only upgrade 3 out of the 4. Apparently the other two BC seats were not available because they were being "held." So, keep that in mind as you are gauging seat maps. I'll try back later today to see if anything has opened up. The agent indicated they are being held "by the airport", whatever that means. Just to check I went back online to try to book a full-fare business class seat, and could not -- the BC open was not available. Wonder why they're holding these two seats hostage?
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Two interesting things when calling to redeem credits for BC upgrade.

Wonder why they're holding these two seats hostage?
I called Thursday night to upgrade MKE-LAX on Satuday. No problem with the upgrade. The seat map showed two other occuped seats in BC.

The morning of deiparture, those seats mysteriously were shown as available. BC went out full on Saturday.

I have expreienced the phone line being closed late on Saturday nights in the past.

Last edited by RSVP; Sep 12, 2010 at 11:54 am
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Called again this evening because I went to check in the three confirmed BC tickets and was able to move the assigned BC seats to the ones being "held" so I wondered if the hold was removed.

The phone rep told me they have no BC seats available, yet I still show one open on the website.

I wonder if one of the BC tickets sold won't be assigned a seat until check in? So, there's a floating BC ticket with no seat assignment. Why would that be?

I'll update the final outcome during the flight tomorrow.

P.S. Elite line was closed again all day today. Weird.

UPDATE: Got to the GA about 1.5 hours before the flight and BC checked in full. The last open seat was taken. I asked the GA about this scenario, and her best guess was that a BC ticket had been purchased, but not assigned (as I had suspected.)

What I still don't understand is how I had the option to purchase a seat for my wife ($99) if there weren't any more BC seats available. Weird. One other little twist is that, after boarding, I ended up selling my BC seat for $100. So I was able to switch some things around and sit with my wife in coach. So, in essence, I redeemed 4 credits and got $100 cash for them.

Last edited by newsmanhoss; Sep 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm
Old Sep 13, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Just chiming in to say that the elite line has been closed on Saturday nights for a long time.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Just chiming in to say that the elite line has been closed on Saturday nights for a long time.
I sent an email inquiring about hours of operation some time ago, never received any reply.

Last edited by RSVP; Sep 16, 2010 at 9:28 am
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Does anybody know what the actual hours for the elite line are?

I've called in the middle of the night during the week and they answer. Weird that a Saturday evening would be any different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.