Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite business class upgrade success (master list)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
An Update

ATL-FNT - Monday, October 11 - successful - submitted request to gate agent 80 mins prior (I wasn't going to get burnt like last week) - seats throughout (including BC) vacant
FNT-ATL - Friday, October 16 - unsuccessful - BC was already sold out (I checked online the night prior). I didn't even have a chance.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by plagwate
FNT-ATL - Friday, October 16 - unsuccessful - BC was already sold out (I checked online the night prior). I didn't even have a chance.
Even if the seat maps are full, things can change at the last minute...there could be no-shows or a change in travel plans. There's always that outside chance that one can open up, so it never hurts to ask.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
Even if the seat maps are full, things can change at the last minute...there could be no-shows or a change in travel plans. There's always that outside chance that one can open up, so it never hurts to ask.
This is especially true if any of the Biz Class seats were showing as occupied more than one day before the flight - these are often paid Biz Class seats; their occupants can change their ticket without penalty.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
10/23 evening flight HPN-ATL: no luck! (only 2 seats were showing available 1 hour before departure).
10/23 last flight ATL-JAX: successful; 1 empty seat.
10/25 am flight JAX-ATL; successful; no empty seats.
10/25 !am flight ATL-HPN; successful; 3 empty seats - 6 upgraded the day before, my free upgrade, and 2 more (paid w/$, I think) done after my free upgrade.

See my other thread on what appears to be a new procedure for elite upgrades.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
called on am sat 10/24
upgraded yesterday, 10/25, for 4 air tran credits
sfo to milwaukee, milwaukee to DCA

both flights were full in biz calss
but at milwaukeee they were selling the upgrades to DCA

the premium security line at sfo is slower than the regular line!!
what a poorly run situation
Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:03 pm

Time to bring this thread back to the top page...

Friday morning 12/18 - I used credits to upgrade, but here are my observations:

HPN-ATL: Flight had 7 Biz seats left after I upgraded; at 40 minutes prior to scheduled departure the GA called three names - I wasn't close enough to be sure that those were complimentary upgrades, but I think it likely. Biz class went out full.

ATL-HOU: Flight had 5 seats left one hour before scheduled departure, went out full. Lots of people were standing in line from one hour before departure until boarding began.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 6:22 pm

Will this ever become a Sticky? I know Hoss has requested it in the past, perhaps Hoss needs to PM the mod.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RSVP
Will this ever become a Sticky? I know Hoss has requested it in the past, perhaps Hoss needs to PM the mod.
I went straight to the top, and it's now a sticky finally.

I am going to continue to update my original post at the top of this thread after each of my attempts to upgrade. Thanks to all of you who keep this thread going. I think it is very helpful for elites in determining whether to pay for an upgrade with cash/credits or to try for a complimentary upgrade.

Either way, AirTran's business class is a great value because you can upgrade from any fare for a reasonable price.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
I went straight to the top, and it's now a sticky finally.

Great job Hoss, we couldn't have done it without you. After all, you started this thread back in October.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:39 am

Ha Ha!
Before I was Elite, I once saw this old guy being very obnoxious about getting his upgrade. Once he got on the plane he began pestering the flight attendants. Then this gorgeous and friendly blond passenger sat down in the seat next to him. His attitude about travelling in coach changed.
Since becoming an Elite, I have never received an upgrade. Once a GA seemed uninformed about Elite upgrades; and on my flight back from PHX the GA insisted there was no such thing as an Elite upgrade.
I flew back from PHX next to two annoying children; but ya never know when you'll be lucky enough to get an upgrade seat...or, even better, a seat next to that blond.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:49 pm

Christmas day: successfully upgraded SAT-ATL and ATL-HPN.

SAT-ATL had 2 seats filled in Biz class 2 days before scheduled departure through 1.5 hours before sched. dep., then went to 6 seats filled shortly after that. I was upgraded at ~T-00:30 (asked at T-00:40 but the agent said she was busy and would call me back up in a few minutes, which she did); no one else officially upgraded (per the seat assignment webpage), but an Army grunt (non-officer) was placed in row 1, for 8 seats filled in all.

ATL-HPN started off with Biz class totally empty; I was upgraded at T-00:35 and only one other person upgraded (I don't know by what method). However, an elderly lady and her niece were moved to the front before takeoff.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 1:05 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
01/14 - FLL-ATL 540AM flight - upgraded at gate when asked. Had a few seats open, fairly light flight - maybe 50 pax total
01/14 - ATL-RDU 820ish flight - upgraded at gate when asked, Only 5 seats (I think) filled, again, a fairly light flight

01/16 RDU-ATL - agent said I could sit in 3F or 2A, but couldn't assign me a seat for some reason. Told me to board with Zone 1 (which I am anyway). When I asked at podium, he said its suddenly full and to take my original seat.

01/16 ATL-FLL - 153PM flight - went to gate, agent said 1 seat left, then asked me for $49. Mentioned I was elite, then spent 5 minutes trying to upgrade me. Said she couldn't because of a restriction since I used a voucher, and that I have the exit row anyway.

A traveler on the flight is a senior manager @ FL and was talking to him, he said I should have been upgraded, regardless, on both flights. Guess there is a glitch in the system where if you use a VOUCHER (was a $25 off one), it paid for my exit row seat, and you can NOT upgrade if you do that.

This will make travel a bit more complicated for me and I'll have to play "russian roulette" and determine if I want to get stuck with the exit row and forget an upgrade when i use the coupons.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
Smile

I've gone 6/6 on Business Class upgrades since earning Elite status ...

Sat, 12/5 @ 12:35 pm - BWI-BOS: Went up to counter an hour before the flight, new boarding pass already printed for me (BC left full).

Mon, 12/7 @ 12:30 pm - BOS-BWI: Running late for the flight, already boarded when I got to the gate, asked about upgrade, gate agent processed it for me (a couple BC seats left open).

Fri, 12/11 @ 12:35 pm - BWI-BOS: Went up to counter ~45 mins before the flight, gate agent told me that it wasn't a problem but told me to come back since his computer was giving him issues, came back 10 mins later, and he printed out my new BP.

Sun, 12/13 @ 8:30 AM - BOS-BWI: Went to counter ~50 mins before flight, told me to talk to the gate agent who had a couple upgraded BP printed out.

Sat, 1/16 @ 12:05 PM - DEN-ATL: Didn't think I had a chance at an upgrade, completely full flight due to a canceled flight to MKE, only 4 BC seats left earlier in the morning. While checking my bag (~55 mins before flight), asked about how many BC seats left, looked at me weirdly and told me that I was already in BC and printed a new BP for me.

Sat, 1/16 @ 8:45 PM - ATL-BWI: Went up to gate agent ~65 mins before flight, she quickly sent me away telling me that I needed to come back 40 mins before. At the 40 min point, she made an announcement offering BC upgrades for $49 and motioned me over, handing me a BP she had printed.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
ATL-RDU-ATL

ATL-RDU (FL 98) - Saturday, January 23 - successful - submitted request to gate agent 90 mins prior and was told to return at 40 mins. At 60 mins, I noticed a different GA at the counter who was helping other passengers. A badged employee (reservations) was in line ahead of me and was immediately given BC. Fortunately, I was also upgraded but it made me wonder what if upgrades had been denied as a result of the crew member being immediately booked in BC? - flight departed with one BC seat vacant.

RDU-ATL (FL 89) - Tuesday, January 36 - successful - submitted request to gate agent 60 mins prior and was told that I had already been upgraded (a pleasant surprise. why can't they all do it this way?) - flight departed with no vacant BC seats, two of which were occupied by uniformed crew (pilots). Again, I wonder if an elite member was not upgraded because non-revenue FL staff were assigned BC?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:54 am

Auto Upgraded DCA - MKE

Monday 2/1 flying DCA to MKE was my first experience with the auto upgrade (I've been flying longer routes and upgrading with 4 credits for the last several weeks). I arrived at the gate about an hour before the flight and approached the GA, saying, "I realize it's a bit early, but can you tell me if you have BC inventory for elite upgrades?" (planning to come back at the 40 minute mark if necessary). I was pleasantly surprised when he confirmed my last name and handed me a BC boarding pass that was already printed, and mentioned he had paged me a few minutes earlier. ^^ (I was enjoying a cold beverage at the Sam Adams Brewhouse on the other side of security and did not hear the page.)

When the flight departed, it appeared to be less than half full, and there were two open seats in Biz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.