Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

No luck yet - No upgrades on Elite status

Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airtran A+ Rewards, Delta Sky Miles, US Airways Dividend Miles, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club

3 flights as Elite and no upgrades...

I've been in the exit row on 2 of them so I didn't care that much, but I thought I would get bumped up by now. The one time I wasn't in the exit row was miserable - 717 seats are crowded and I'm 6'5''.

The flights I have been on have been crowded, though. ATL to MKE and MKE to ATL

What are my chances for my wife and I getting bumped up on an ATL to LAX flight either Monday night or Tuesday morning?

Can you get bumped up if you are using reward flights?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by mlancaster8
3 flights as Elite and no upgrades...

I've been in the exit row on 2 of them so I didn't care that much, but I thought I would get bumped up by now. The one time I wasn't in the exit row was miserable - 717 seats are crowded and I'm 6'5''.

The flights I have been on have been crowded, though. ATL to MKE and MKE to ATL

What are my chances for my wife and I getting bumped up on an ATL to LAX flight either Monday night or Tuesday morning?

Can you get bumped up if you are using reward flights?
Yes, FL coach is miserable, particularly in the 717, which one one inch less legroom.

ATL to MKE is a little challenging because they are both hubs (tend to be more elites on both ends). But, I'm surprised you haven't upgraded yet. IF you keep flying that route, let us know how it goes.

Feel free to use the sticky thread at the top of this forum and list your flights as either successful or unsuccessful.

Upgrades are available on all tickets including reward.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: I fly for free.
If you are talking about March 5th/6th then your best bet is FL 414 on Monday night on ATL-LAX. FL 51 on Monday would be next best then FL 412 on Tuesday.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:06 am

3 flights as Elite and no upgrades...?
Ugh. Three segments or 3 round-trips?

Priority entirely based on checking in online at T-24 (which you probably already knew).
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:29 am

I would guess Tuesday morning would be more busy than Monday night, but I don't have any stats to prove that. Anyone know if expertflyer.com shows Airtran seat inventory? If so, that may be a good way to help decide which option is best.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:52 am

would guess Tuesday morning would be more busy than Monday night, but I don't have any stats to prove that. Anyone know if expertflyer.com shows Airtran seat inventory? If so, that may be a good way to help decide which option is best.
Or you can read Reply #3....since Ive already answered that question in that reply
Old Feb 28, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Shorter leg flights the BC upgrade is only $49 versus $45 for two checked bags. You can guess how many people with 2 bags choose the upgrade for only $4 more.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by PA42
Or you can read Reply #3....since Ive already answered that question in that reply
Good point....though you weren't clear about whether the info you provided was fact or a guess based on your own past experience, so I wasn't sure where it came from. I'm sure the OP appreciates your help, though
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:15 pm

Good point....though you weren't clear about whether the info you provided was fact or a guess based on your own past experience, so I wasn't sure where it came from. I'm sure the OP appreciates your help, though
Fair enough: every statement that I make about WN/FL is a fact including this one
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by PA42
Fair enough: every statement that I make about WN/FL is a fact including this one
I verified the info he stated.

But it's still a matter of available seats i.e. who upgrades for $$ at T-24, 4 credits at anytime the day prior (as elite you can beat everybody at T-48), late BC fares sold and your check-in priority (definately suggest online check in at the T-24hr mark and if done from a smart phone no need to print BP you can do that at a kiosk or the ticket counter).

I've seen more than one LAX bound entertainer's entourage buy all the BC seats last minute...

Last edited by traveller001; Feb 29, 2012 at 7:36 pm
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:43 pm

But it's still a matter of available seats i.e. who upgrades for $$ at T-24, 4 credits at anytime the day prior (as elite you can beat everybody at T-48), late BC fares sold and your check-in priority (definately suggest online check in at the T-24hr mark and if done from a smart phone no need to print BP you can do that at a kiosk or the ticket counter).
Obviously cant predict the future but the flight that I gave the best chances on is probably a 2-3x better bet on getting an upgrade than the others. ^
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: AirTran Elite, Southwest A-list
Hang in there, you'll get moved up.

You know to go to the counter and ask 40 min before takeoff, right?

I seem to get upgraded 50-75% of the time depending upon the time of year. Just last month my wife and child (neither Elite) got upgraded with me on both legs of an MCO to IND trip.

(another perk going since Southwest won't even let them get in the A line with me!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.