FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards-441/)
-   -   Newbie Question: Can Business Class Upgrade certificate be used on an award flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airtran-airways-rewards/1317065-newbie-question-can-business-class-upgrade-certificate-used-award-flight.html)

meecal Feb 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Newbie Question: Can Business Class Upgrade certificate be used on an award flight?

If I book a coach award using 8 credits can I then use a business class upgrade award to move to business class? Or can the business class upgrades only be used on paid fares? Thanks!

newsmanhoss Feb 22, 2012 6:40 pm

The answer is yes. One of the great things about AirTran (and why I'll miss them) is that you can upgrade the same way regardless of how the reservation was made.

meecal Feb 22, 2012 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss (Post 18065375)
The answer is yes. One of the great things about AirTran (and why I'll miss them) is that you can upgrade the same way regardless of how the reservation was made.

Thanks for the quick reply. I just redeemed 4 credits (two of which were going to expire in the next two days) for an upgrade certificate. I have lots of SW points so I'm aiming to transfer some of them to AirTran credits when that's an option (word is that will happen in Q2 of this year). Will look for a coach award ticket that I can upgrade. Thanks again!

newsmanhoss Feb 23, 2012 6:17 am

Originally Posted by meecal (Post 18065830)
Thanks for the quick reply. I just redeemed 4 credits (two of which were going to expire in the next two days) for an upgrade certificate. I have lots of SW points so I'm aiming to transfer some of them to AirTran credits when that's an option (word is that will happen in Q2 of this year). Will look for a coach award ticket that I can upgrade. Thanks again!

Eventually, you'll be able to convert AirTran credits into Southwest credits, but not the other way around.

HPN-HRL Feb 23, 2012 8:15 am

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss (Post 18067528)
Eventually, you'll be able to convert AirTran credits into Southwest credits, but not the other way around.

Hoss is probably (almost certainly) correct about this, but to my knowledge nothing official has been stated by WN WRT which way award credits/points can flow, or at what rate of conversion (or if any conversion will even be allowed).

Back to the topic: absolutely any fare (including award tickets) can currently be combined with a 4-credit voucher to be upgraded to business class - I have done this quite often. It's so much nicer than the legacy carriers who require you to purchase a higher fare just to enter an "upgrade lottery"!

traveller001 Feb 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss (Post 18067528)

Seems to be differing news on this. FL flying will continue for some time with many desirable routes new to RR members. Points are an obligation/possible debt to airlines and every way to use them is almost like real money.