Wiki Posts
Search

AirTran fiasco

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

AirTran fiasco

What a fiasco!

Just coming back from a trip to Florida, my wife and daughter missed their connecting flight from Atlanta last night because their airplane refused to land due to weather that dozens of other planes were taking off in and then when they finally did land they missed their connecting flight by just minutes because the connecting flight refused to wait for the landing passengers at all.

So, hey needed to get a hotel which the airline refused to pay for and was only offering a 10% discount on the rooms at a certain hotel which quickly got overbooked because of all the people that missed their connecting flights and then they had to take a cab to their hotel because so many of these people were needing the airport shuttle that arguments and yelling matches started up amongst the passengers over getting on the airport/hotel shuttles!

And to top it all off, My wife also witnessed the airline refuse to do anything for this poor little old lady who hadn't been delayed but still missed her connecting flight because her connecting flight took off early and the airline refused to do anything for her at all stating it wasn't their fault that the flight took off early and she missed it!

What a horror that must've been for all of them!

In your travels, if you can help it then I recommend you steer far away from using AirTran. Their service is horrible!

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 5, 2012 at 11:50 am Reason: make for easier reading as requested by other members
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by bkdraper4
What a fiasco!

my wife and daughter missed their connecting flight from Atlanta last night because their airplane refused to land
I hate it when they get stubborn.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:55 pm

I don't get why they are allowed to take off early, knowing connecting passengers have not boarded. The only valid reason I can think of is beating some incoming bad weather, so bad the flight might not get out that night at all. It seems desperately unfair to passengers, in fact cheating passengers.

Anymore, you need to allow 2 hours for connecting domestic flights for possible delays and beyond that, make sure there is a later same day flight as back up. If you arrive 1-1/2 hours prior to boarding and wait 2 hours on your connection, 1/2 hour at baggage claim, 1 to 2 hours transporting to and from the airport, plus flight time...for all the time wasted in airports, an all day drive is starting to look good.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
I hate it when they get stubborn.
My thoughts exactly...
Old Jul 2, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
As this is not a trip report I shall move it on to the Other North & South America Frequent Flyer Programs forum.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Jul 2, 2012, 3:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Whoops, this thread attempted to disembark at the wrong stop - maybe hidden city ticketing? Off to the AirTran Airways A+ Rewards Forum it goes.

JDiver, Senior Moderator
Old Jul 2, 2012, 4:01 pm

Something doesn't sound right..and it's more than stubborn airplanes
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
OP. I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. But when bad weather occurs, ATC may require more spacing between takeoffs and landings, thus flights may be delayed or even canceled while you still see runway arrivals and departures occurring. ATC determines the priority of flights, not the airlines.

The airlines are not required to provide you with overnight accommodations nor sustinence when these occurrences happen. It sucks but that's the breaks. That's the treatment you'll receive from any airline in the US, particularly if you have no frequent flyer status. You can get pissed and blame the airline all you want but it really won't make a difference.

Last edited by plagwate; Jul 4, 2012 at 7:27 pm
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by plagwate
<redacted>

OP. I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. But when bad weather occurs, ATC may require more spacing between takeoffs and landings, thus flights may be delayed or even canceled while you still see runway arrivals and departures occurring. ATC determines the priority of flights, not the airlines.

The airlines are not required to provide you with overnight accommodations nor sustinence when these occurrences happen. It sucks but that's the breaks. That's the treatment you'll receive from any airline in the US, particularly if you have no frequent flyer status. You can get pissed and blame the airline all you want but it really won't make a difference. <redacted>
A first post by OP which says ... OP is upset because of bad weather and what was overheard about some other pax's situation.

Maybe it's just me, but I am just as happy to land safely and not crash. Not sure why FL would pay for a hotel room for WX difficulties and not sure why a flight can't push when all the pax at the gate at T-10 are boarded.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 4, 2012 at 6:42 pm Reason: previously deleted post content - redactions
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by Often1

Maybe it's just me, but I am just as happy to land safely and not crash.
+1. Inconvenience happens, but I will never fault an airline for putting safety first.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
In your travels, if you can help it then I recommend you steer far away from using AirTran. Their service is horrible!
Good recommendation. I'll fly Southwest instead!
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:09 pm

because their airplane refused to land due to weather that dozens of other planes were taking off in

. . .

In your travels, if you can help it then I recommend you steer far away from using AirTran.

With all due respect, with a statement like the above I don't put much confidence in your ability to recommend an airline.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:11 pm

Lightbulb

airplane refused to land due to weather that dozens of other planes were taking off in and then when they finally did land
So often OP credibility can suddenly drop to zero.(and on first post! YIKES).
Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bowdenj
So often OP credibility can suddenly drop to zero.(and on first post! YIKES).
I wouldn't say their credibility drops but clearly they don't have an understanding of how the aviation industry works. I wouldn't hold that against them as we were all there at one point.

It's just unfortunate that the OP probably won't come back here where we can help them get a better understanding of what might have happened and why. Because of that, they are destined to have a similarly unpleasant experience at some point in their future.
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CKinMD
Good recommendation. I'll fly Southwest instead!
Funny, I knew prior to reading the entire thread that somewhere, somehow, the above statement was sure to appear in some fashion.

As for me I'll stick to Airtran (the airline that beats up little old ladies).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.