Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Today's (9/11) AJC: Southwest to transform AirTran hub into ‘megacity’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2011, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: I've gone underground!

Highlights from AJC Article:

When Southwest Airlines fully takes over the operations of AirTran Airways in Atlanta, it will transform AirTran’s hub into what Southwest calls a “megacity” operation.

That means lots of flights but less emphasis on connections — and changes to the route map and schedules.

“I think we’re going to make some radical changes to the AirTran flight schedule,” Southwest chief executive Gary Kelly said recently.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:21 am

I'd like to read the article if it's ever available online.

Apparently, it's only available in the hard copy of the AJC, and I don't live in Georgia.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
I'd like to read the article if it's ever available online.

Apparently, it's only available in the hard copy of the AJC, and I don't live in Georgia.
Interesting, I'm in Atlanta and going out later, will pick up the paper, and if easily scannable will do so.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:37 pm

AJC Link

Oops... I now see the link doesn't go to the full story after all.
Mods, this post can be deleted

Last edited by EWR-6785; Sep 11, 2011 at 12:40 pm Reason: Link doesn't go to full article
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:13 am

Well let's see...

lotta talk about "megacity" versus "hub". (so folks from Atlanta can get to Chicago; but if you're going to Peoria better plan on riding The Dog.)

some thought that Southwest might bring increased travelers to Atlanta from the American southwest.

mentions the goodbye to 717's.

does note a possible ever so slight pull back on Southwest's growth prospects for Atlanta.

and ends up with some more verbiage on what "hubs" are.

Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Interesting, I'm in Atlanta and going out later, will pick up the paper, and if easily scannable will do so.
I got a scanned copy, if anyone wants it give me an e-mail addy
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:54 pm

Radical changes:

Watch MKE shrink radically.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:28 pm

http://www.ajc.com/business/southwes...xtype=rss_news
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
That's the article already mentioned by the OP.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:26 pm

I think that Gary Kelley wants to see how many people he can alienate before repainting the aircraft.

The world is a very efficient place. WN is abandoning the niche that FL carved for itself. Within a year or two someone else will move in to occupy it. My vote is J6, VX or someone new.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: Midwest Miles, AirTran A+ Rewards
SWA is only going to cherry pick the O&D in ATL. One stop service is their thing too. So most of the small cities will be axed once the 717 is removed. MKE is already imploding onto itself and will have no hub or even a focus city designation by years end.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by henryf
The world is a very efficient place. WN is abandoning the niche that FL carved for itself. Within a year or two someone else will move in to occupy it. My vote is J6, VX or someone new.

Hope you're right

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.