Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

A look at Air India's to be launched 787 service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 2:58 pm
A2A
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI

Hello everyone,

I was in Hyderabad to have a look at the Boeing 787 they made for Air India, and the one which will come to them first. Managed to click some pictures, and here are the links:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/livefr...-to-air-india/

and

https://www.facebook.com/livefromalounge

Do have a look. I found the product very bland, what are your views?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:56 pm

Those are great pictures. Thanks a bunch for putting them up!

I agree, the "hard" hard product (seats, decor, IFE) seem normal. Nothing really cool about them. But the "soft" hard product (lighting, air pressure, humidity) could still be worth a trip on AI's 787s (MEL, here I come!).
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Great work getting all those shots and writing it all up. I have to agree that the interior design makes the brand new plane look like its 20 years old (this is one of those areas AI excels in ).
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
great pictures....^^
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Haha the upholstery looks downright disgusting!

Excellent pics and write up!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:21 am

Well, the 787 wasn't really expected to do all that much from a passenger amenity perspective, nor will it ever generate the buzz that a 747 or a 380 did.

So it's all down to how each airline kits out the aircraft.

On that count, this plane already looks very nearly like one of their tatty garden variety 321s that I flew the other day.

Give Air India two weeks and they will make a brand new plane look like it's nearly a senior citizen.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:36 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hyderago
could still be worth a trip on AI's 787s (MEL, here I come!).
Not if AI flies it on routes that make economic sense.

I feel if AI could now make a good ‘re-launch’ with this product and fly it on routes that made economic sense, they had a good shot at making a profitable flight with these planes
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:38 am

The more I look at the interior, the more it reminds me of Palam's Terminal 2 when it first opened. Downright nasty.

Originally Posted by SQ421
Not if AI flies it on routes that make economic sense.
Then getting a tan on the Delhi tarmac will be the only option !
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Does this Aircraft have a first-class cabin?
Or is it a two-class aircraft?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:08 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
2 class 18C/238Y. Quite an excellent decision I think - less opportunity for those with connections to get first class seats out of cheapo economy tickets...

It's not like they were selling those First Class seats for good yields anyway. Most just went out empty.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:26 am
A2A
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
Originally Posted by snod08
Does this Aircraft have a first-class cabin?
Or is it a two-class aircraft?
As per Boeing, since the airframe is not as large as the 747 or the 777, there is only so much space to put in a premium cabin or two. Most airlines are expected to go for a 2 class configuration on these planes.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Seat covers in J look very retro to me....reminds me of the Air India scenes in Bollywood movies from the 60's.....more specifically, Junglee with shami kapoor!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Nice pics
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:13 am

Programs: Kingclub - Gold,Skywards Silver,Jet Privilege Blue Plus,IHG Platinum,Marriott Silver,QMiles Burgundy
Nice pics, have not really been able to understand what the fuss has been about the Dreamliner. Just seems to be a similar product with better fuel efficiency which would benefit the airlines but other than some small upgrades such as the windows, mood lighting etc i dont see too much for the paying customer.

I guess at some level the lower cost of operation will be passed on to the customer (directly in the form of lower price or indirectly in the form of lesser taxpayer subsidy to Air India) but this is unlikely to create the A380 type buzz.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Wildboar
Nice pics, have not really been able to understand what the fuss has been about the Dreamliner. Just seems to be a similar product with better fuel efficiency which would benefit the airlines but other than some small upgrades such as the windows, mood lighting etc i dont see too much for the paying customer.

I guess at some level the lower cost of operation will be passed on to the customer (directly in the form of lower price or indirectly in the form of lesser taxpayer subsidy to Air India) but this is unlikely to create the A380 type buzz.
The general fuss is likely to do more with the delays and cost overruns and compensation claims than anything else.

From a passenger perspective, it was never going to be an iconic plane. And if all had gone according to plan, most of the world likely wouldn't even have ever heard of it.

As for costs, I wouldn't hold my breath on any savings being passed on to customers. The airlines shouldn't anyway; they need the cash!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.