Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mid November longhaul

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Mid November longhaul

Hello, I have a MIA-DUS flight coming up on November 20th. I booked my flight via BA using Avios.

What are the chances this flight will even exist by then? My biggest issue is that DUS is not my final destination and I have not purchased the ticket to my final destination due to the uncertainty of this flight. I hope the flight is cancelled sooner rather than later if it ends up being cancelled.

What are your thoughs?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
Almost no chance it will exist. When these flights are cancelled, BA will give you the Avios back along with the taxes you paid (no cancellation fee). That's the only thing they're currently offering - they won't rebook you onto their own metal unless it's a paid flight with a BA ticket and flight number but airBerlin codeshare segment. There are very few of these tickets out there anyway. Other airlines saw the writing on the wall and ended their codeshares to avoid having the liability when the inevitable failure occurred.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Not necessarily true, I got rebooked for free from AB onto BA metal and am now in a revenue subclass. You just have to keep trying until you get an agent who is willing to do it. However, as time goes on and the level of rebookings increases BA might become less inclined to rebook and become more hard nosed about it. I think I got lucky with a good agent. So the scenario outlined by TProphet above may well be the only option later on.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by TProphet
they won't rebook you onto their own metal unless it's a paid flight with a BA ticket and flight number but airBerlin codeshare segment. There are very few of these tickets out there anyway.
what about a BA- (or for that matter any other airline except AB) issued ticket with one or more legs on AB flight numbers and metal (no code share)? Any experience with that?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
I think legally BA is to rebook you - as they sold the ticket to you!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No. BA is simply the marketing carrier and its sole obligation is to refund the ticket without penalties.

OP's claim would be against the operating carrier, e.g. AB under EC 261/2004. AB has the obligation to refund, rebook now or rebook later at the passenger's option. But, AB is insolvent and thus can't. OP will therefore have an unsecured claim against AB under EC 261/2004, one which will amost certainly never pay out anything.

While BA was reportedly rebooking in slightly better times, it is not doing so now. That is not surprising under the circumstances and it is not a matter of an individual agent's discretion any longer.

I would deal with this sooner rather than later. The avios can be used to purchase a new BA redemption ticket with a possible OW connection to OP's destination (it would be useful to know that). But, as time passes, the lack of inventory occasioned by AB's cessation of long haul will lead to higher prices.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Originally Posted by Often1
No. BA is simply the marketing carrier and its sole obligation is to refund the ticket without penalties.

OP's claim would be against the operating carrier, e.g. AB under EC 261/2004. AB has the obligation to refund, rebook now or rebook later at the passenger's option. But, AB is insolvent and thus can't. OP will therefore have an unsecured claim against AB under EC 261/2004, one which will amost certainly never pay out anything.

While BA was reportedly rebooking in slightly better times, it is not doing so now. That is not surprising under the circumstances and it is not a matter of an individual agent's discretion any longer.

PS: AB ist paying EU261 - right now.....we will see for how long...

I would deal with this sooner rather than later. The avios can be used to purchase a new BA redemption ticket with a possible OW connection to OP's destination (it would be useful to know that). But, as time passes, the lack of inventory occasioned by AB's cessation of long haul will lead to higher prices.
It might be different in different country's...
It was just confirmed by the highest court in Germany that the marketing carrier is responsible - as they issued the ticket on their stock....the contract is between the issuer of the ticket and the customer - issuer is responsible for their subcontractors.

BTW a rebooking has nothing to do with EU261 if done early...

PS: AB is currently paying EU261 for flights AFTER Aug 25th but delaying the payment as much as they can - we will see how long the payments lasts....

Last edited by Germanfflyer; Sep 17, 2017 at 5:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.