Flight in September

Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Flight in September

Everyday I hear more bad news about AB on the blogs and in the community.

I'm suppose to go to Oktoberfest, September 20-25 from SFO-MUC. In peoples opinions, Do you think I'll sneak in, and make it before total AB implosion?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Bronze, AF Silver, IHG Gold, Sixt Plat,
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Everyday I hear more bad news about AB on the blogs and in the community.

I'm suppose to go to Oktoberfest, September 20-25 from SFO-MUC. In peoples opinions, Do you think I'll sneak in, and make it before total AB implosion?
Hard to tell honestly,

Did you book your flights before AB officially filled for insolvency?

If so, your ticket would be considered old debit and they won't have to reimburse you, iirc.

Did you book with an American credit card? If so, check to see what your coverage is there, there are some other posts on this form talking about US law regarding situations like these.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by tsolaaa
Hard to tell honestly,

Did you book your flights before AB officially filled for insolvency?

If so, your ticket would be considered old debit and they won't have to reimburse you, iirc.

Did you book with an American credit card? If so, check to see what your coverage is there, there are some other posts on this form talking about US law regarding situations like these.
ya I'm covered under the chase reserve I booked with. But just wondering how what people think my chances are that the flights go?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: LH Sen, OW Sapphire, Skyteam Gold
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
ya I'm covered under the chase reserve I booked with. But just wondering how what people think my chances are that the flights go?
I think your chances are pretty good. I will fly on the 30th of August TXL-SFO and on the 12th of September LAX-TXL and I have no doubt that both flights will happen. I assume flights in September are still pretty safe.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:06 pm

The German election is on September 24. I'm guessing the German Government loan will get Air Berlin through at least that date... .
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:08 pm

So far the loan does not have final sign-off and has not been paid out. According to news sources AB's current cash will last approximately into the second half of September (6 weeks after insolvency filing). Moreover, by then they should have achieved the 80% utilization rate for their slots during the present summer season required to keep them (for a buyer), so I would not be surprised if they were to start phasing out operations right after the elections.
Keep an eye on whether that loan will actually be paid out.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
My last flight is on Sep 12. I pray and light candles every day. Ansett was grounded on Sep 13 and i had a flight booked on that day...
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:23 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
My last flight is on Sep 12. I pray and light candles every day. Ansett was grounded on Sep 13 and i had a flight booked on that day...
That must have been devastating

I just did a big gamble by buying AB positioning flights TXL-ARN connecting on to a separate long-hault ticket in September. No risk, no fun!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:04 am

I think September should be quite safe.
The government guaranty should last till end of October.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Bronze, AF Silver, IHG Gold, Sixt Plat,
Originally Posted by MultiFlyer
I think September should be quite safe.
The government guaranty should last till end of October.
All assuming this "House of Cards" style loan will be paid out before the election.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:46 am

Just announced in the press - AB will stop all long haul flights from TXl.
Starting stepwise from 18.09.2017 to 01.10.2017.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, really bad, it just gets worse and worse. I wonder what my options are for Abu Dhabi to Berlin in late September.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:11 pm

As of today, you should be able to check for what date your particular flight is slated for termination.
If you read German, try the following article: http://svenblogt.boardingarea.com/et...erlin-fluegen/

Last edited by geosch; Aug 29, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL Platinum (ST+), JL JGC (ows), NH SFC (*AG)
Looks like my flight in Sept 18 is the one they are canceling. The other flight leaves maybe 10 hours later. I wonder what they'll do. I booked direct thru AB.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:55 pm

I'd try calling AB's customer service and see what they'll tell you. I guess your best bet is to be rebooked on that later AB flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.