Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight in September

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL Platinum (ST+), JL JGC (ows), NH SFC (*AG)
Originally Posted by geosch
I'd try calling AB's customer service and see what they'll tell you. I guess your best bet is to be rebooked on that later AB flight.
I'm flying TXL-AUH-NRT with a friend on the 18th, but he booked his flights thru EY. He's already been rebooked on a different flight... instead of TXL, he's now leaving from DUS. How can EY just change the departure airport like that? I mean, we check this stuff, but what does the average flyer who doesn't check regularly do?

My flights haven't been changed by AB yet. I guess I'll give them a call
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by weetanuki
I'm flying TXL-AUH-NRT with a friend on the 18th, but he booked his flights thru EY. He's already been rebooked on a different flight... instead of TXL, he's now leaving from DUS. How can EY just change the departure airport like that? I mean, we check this stuff, but what does the average flyer who doesn't check regularly do?

My flights haven't been changed by AB yet. I guess I'll give them a call
At some point the flyer will receive notice.

As to your question, AB is no longer flying long-haul commencing on the 18th, so there is no flight. It would make little sense for you to show up at TXL

EY has auto-rebooked, but under EC 261/2004 you have the option of cancelling for a full refund, rebooking now or rebooking for a later date.

The auto-rebook simply assures that you have something.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by tsolaaa
Hard to tell honestly,

Did you book your flights before AB officially filled for insolvency?

If so, your ticket would be considered old debit and they won't have to reimburse you, iirc.

Did you book with an American credit card? If so, check to see what your coverage is there, there are some other posts on this form talking about US law regarding situations like these.
No need for fear-mongering.

Any ticket paid for with a CC issued by a US or EU card issuer, and perhaps others, has specific coverage for exactly this situation, as a matter of law.

The passenger is 100% covered if the ticket cannot be performed due to insolvency.

This is one of many reasons why it is always essential to use a CC, not a debit card, bank transfer, cash or any other means of payment for all services to be rendered in the future, e.g. air tickets.

But, in the meantime, no need to tell people their funds are at risk.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:54 pm

But that is only half the truth.
Yes you can get the money back, but if you have to book a new flight only 1 or 2 weeks in advance you will pay a lot more.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
As of today, you should be able to check for what date your particular flight is slated for termination.
If you read German, try the following article: http://svenblogt.boardingarea.com/et...erlin-fluegen/
Thank you very much for that info and link, now my mind is partially at rest. I say that, because you never know what really will happen in the end with this situation. But if they stick to this I should be ok flying AUH-TXL on AB7493 on 27th September as it appears they will be stopping that flight on 1st October.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Sorry I cannot read, or understand German. All long haul flights are being stopped September 12th? I have not seen anything of this nature being published anywhere, and you'd think you'd find it on their website.

im leaving September 20th SFO-TXL-MUC, return September 25th MUC-DUS-SFO. The website is still saying my flights are fine, but can anyone confirm that those dates will still be good?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:18 am

If there's no change from this in English from yesterday http://atwonline.com/airports-routes...ing-insolvency , SFO-TXL will operate until Oct. 1.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:15 pm

I contacted AB and they said that both TXL-AUH flights will continue to operate until October 1, even though you can't buy tickets for the morning flight out of TXL and it is zero-ed out in FT. I'm pretty sure they just aren't admitting it yet...
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Any ticket paid for with a CC issued by a US or EU card issuer, and perhaps others, has specific coverage for exactly this situation, as a matter of law.

The passenger is 100% covered if the ticket cannot be performed due to insolvency.
Might be true for the US, but it's definitely not true for most if not all EU-issued CCs.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:13 am

Might be true for the US, but it's definitely not true for most if not all EU-issued CCs.
Are you sure? Directives 2008/48/EC & 2007/64/EC give the legal right to chargeback in the case of insolvency.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:28 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
No need for fear-mongering.

This is one of many reasons why it is always essential to use a CC, not a debit card, bank transfer, cash or any other means of payment for all services to be rendered in the future, e.g. air tickets.

But, in the meantime, no need to tell people their funds are at risk.
US law offers protections for CC purchases but there are circumstances that must be met so it is not 100% slam dunk you get your money back especially if you purchased and paid the credit card in full more than 60 days ago.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:56 am

To follow up, after being told that the TXL-AUH flight was NOT cancelled just yesterday, I checked my reservation on the AB website, and found out that I had been re-routed. Instead of WAW-TXL-AUH-NRT (with AUH-NRT on EY codeshare), I'm now routed WAW-TXL-ZRH-AUH-NRT (with ZRH-AUH-NRT now on EY codeshare). So it looks like they are re-routing people instead of just cancelling or whatever. I'm assuming the intra-Europe routes won't disappear before October or November, so this routing should work fine. Maybe I can credit the WAW-TXL-ZRH AB flights to JL...
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Anyone care to re-evaluate my chances?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Anyone care to re-evaluate my chances?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Edgerfly

im leaving September 20th SFO-TXL-MUC, return September 25th MUC-DUS-SFO. The website is still saying my flights are fine, but can anyone confirm that those dates will still be good?
The situation is fluid. Apparently a lot of pilots were suddenly taken ill today after negotiations with a third party about what package they might get when taken over by a new owner broke down. A lot of long-haul ex Germany seem to have been cancelled today and I assume this will also apply to the return sectors ex US.

I think you just have to sit tight and see what happens, keep watching your booking.

Unfortunately I don't see how anybody on here can give you a confirmation that your flights/dates will be good.

Have you tried proactively re-booking, given the circumstances, with AA/BA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.