Where to switch from TB

Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: rapidly diminishing
PSA: they will still only consider Status Match for customers living in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Poland, Netherlands and USA.

(also, they won't match WestJet, if anyone else was thinking about it..)
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by sofasurfer
PSA: they will still only consider Status Match for customers living in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Poland, Netherlands and USA.

For the USA to work, you must hold a booking that is operated by AB in order to be considered for the match.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Bronze, AF Silver, IHG Gold, Sixt Plat,
So I get that we will have to wait and see how the talks between AB, EY, etc will play out in the coming days/weeks/months but I don't see it making much sense for EY Guest to absorb all the current Topbonus members.

Assuming AB ceases to exist, wouldn't it be more beneficial for them to sell this data (Topbonus members) to another airline, an airline that would actual serve the majority of where the Topbonus members reside (Germany).

Sure EY does service Germany with flights to the middle east and Asia but you aren't going to fly them anywhere else in Europe? I personally wouldn't stick around if I was absorbed into EY Guest.

To me, it would be more profitable to sell the members over to BA, LH, KLM, AF, etc.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 2:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Is AB still offering status matches? Oneworld status with AirBerlin could still be valuable after AB disappears from Oneworld. How? Because some oneworld airlines may try to keep AB elites in the Oneworld fold and offer a status match to AB elites.
Are AB elites HVCs on average?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are AB elites HVCs on average?
That was the same question that could have been asked of Ansett, Canadair, Malev, BMI and Varig elites. It's not been a rare instance for elites in the programs of a disappearing carrier in major alliance to end up being able to use the defunct carrier's elite status cards for a status match elsewhere.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I think the question was whether there is sufficient value so that another carrier would care to buy the entire program as a whole. This is much less likely than carriers trying to fish relevant members one-by-one through a status match. The latter is likely to happen (although I cannot see an airline that could offer me a status match and be a good replacement for AB, right now - with my travel patterns).
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sofasurfer

Wrong list of countries.

Originally Posted by airberlin
Der Status Match ist auf die Länder Deutschland, Österreich, Schweiz, Schweden, Dänemark, Finnland, Norwegen sowie USA begrenzt.
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway and USA.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by SK2751
I think the question was whether there is sufficient value so that another carrier would care to buy the entire program as a whole. This is much less likely than carriers trying to fish relevant members one-by-one through a status match. The latter is likely to happen (although I cannot see an airline that could offer me a status match and be a good replacement for AB, right now - with my travel patterns).
A frequent flyer program with no "customer" is rather worthless.

If anyone buys airberlin, then they may be interested in topbonus - but only if they don't already have an FFP of their own.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From one of the other threads http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...post28733625B]

Originally Posted by oliver2002
topbonus is being liquidated: http://www.handelsblatt.com/unterneh.../20234012.html
Kunden, die ihre Bonusmeilen beim Vielfliegerprogramm Topbonus noch nicht eingelöst haben, gehen nach Kebekus' Angaben leer aus. „Das Programm wurde gestoppt.“ Bei Topbonus zeichne sich ebenfalls eine Insolvenz ab.
Originally Posted by Flip42
Berliner Zeitung reports topbonus will file for insolvency today: http://www.bz-berlin.de/berlin/air-b...t-insolvenz-an
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Sorry, I should have written my post in the other thread here, probably.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28733833-post16.html

I really wonder what use the American Airlines FFP would be to people like me who fly mostly intra-Europe with a couple of US trips a year. I've never joined a FFP which is completely outside the region I live and work in. For redemptions within Europe, BAEC Avios FFP was king. I saved a lot of money with last minute AB redemptions. And Reward Flight Saver awards on BA with only GBP35 tax are still a good deal. I don't think AA can compete here.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: TopBonus, Miles&More
We can hope that BAEC will offer a status match for TopBonus status holders in order to scoop up their EMEA customers. Or that LH will decide to jump in. But then again why should they as we will probably be forced use them for the German market anyway...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.