Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy

Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by intuition
OK, thank you both.
I have november tickets on a route (TXL-CPH) where AB is the sole operator with 4 daily non-stops. So no legacy carriers currently, but with 4 daily there must be some demand.

I gather november is likely beyond the point where either the reconstruction/liquidation/dismemberment has finished or the emergency cash is gone. As I need to fly, I probably should buy new tickets elsewhere and wait for the AB flight to be cancelled and hope for money back from credit card company. It is just a question about if I need to make new tickets refundable in case AB tickets actually are honoured.
As this isn't big news here, it is slightly difficult to monitor the situation.
Note that easyjet and Norwegian both fly SXF-CPH. Might be a priceworthy and more certain alternative for you.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
You are right, they do. I missed it because it isn't even every day of the week. One flight Mo, fr, two flights Th, sun and no flights tue, wed, sat. A very odd schedule, maybe SK is just using the route to keep some surplus equipment in the air.
They use this random schedule on plenty of routes, another example would be VIE. It's quite annoying.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:59 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Note that easyjet and Norwegian both fly SXF-CPH. Might be a priceworthy and more certain alternative for you.
Yes I did notice the easyjet. SXF would mean a landside transfer though. Doable but TXL would be my first hand choice. The norwegian schedule actually ends in october, in november they don't offer non-stop to CPH!

Thanks all for chiming in, I feel I am driving this thread OT.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
You are right, they do. I missed it because it isn't even every day of the week. One flight Mo, fr, two flights Th, sun and no flights tue, wed, sat. A very odd schedule, maybe SK is just using the route to keep some surplus equipment in the air.
I would suspect it is to hang on to the slots. TXL is fairly congested, so if they give them up they might not easily get them back....
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I would suspect it is to hang on to the slots. TXL is fairly congested, so if they give them up they might not easily get them back....
I know TXL is bursting at the seams, and that the physical infrastructure was designed for a much smaller flow of passengers - but is the airport actually slot constrained?

Aer Lingus was able to shift its 13 weekly Dublin flights from Schonefeld in October 2015 and I didn't hear anything about slots being so difficult to acquire there.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by thbe
The chance for that is very, very close to 0%.

If you have a ticket already, you can hope, that your flight is before AB runs out of money.

To book a new ticket now means to take the high risk of a total loss. Maybe not a problem for flights taking place tomorrow, but for flights in November or December, that risk may be higher than 90%.

If you really need to book an AB flight now, don't book it at AirBerlin. If possible, you can book that flight on another ticket stock than 745- at another airline (OW, EYP), if possible. That way you will maybe not get your flight, but in that case you will get your money back.
Thanks for the tip. I'm looking at an EY fare to TXL departing in a few weeks time and the AUH-TXL leg is on Air Berlin. Since they have announced insolvency proceedings, any costs with rerouting due to cancellation probably won't be covered by my travel insurance. I suppose since it is an EY ticket they have an obligation to get me to TXL by other means. Would they need to pay EU 261 compensation or that is the operating carrier's responsibility (which means bottom of the creditors' list)?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Isn't this just a summer schedule thing? SK does this at a lot of airports in summer. Destinations that they consider business-heavy are swapped for vacation resorts. Is the schedule not back to normal in September?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by sbm12
Because the carrier is not financially viable and oneworld doesn't really need AB. Sure, it makes a few connections and routes within Europe a little easier on the alliance but overall it is an overlap, not a unique set of routes or airports.

Also, buying an airline that lost more than a billion dollars the past couple years doesn't sound like a particularly smart investment. It'll be sold off for pieces.
Bear in mind that there's "buy and operate"...but there's also "buy and mostly liquidate". Buying AB for its assets (aircraft/leases, operating certificates, and slots at airports) for some relatively low value and then killing it off is an entirely plausible option.

I do wonder...would pax who bought tickets affected by the new non-refundability be able to file a dispute with their credit cards if they wanted to change/cancel (either due to changed plans or just plain lack of confidence in AB's continued operating status)?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
mid Aug to mid Nov is the 3 month period and my flights are 2nd Nov & 16th Nov DUS-CUR (books about a week ago).
I am also sceptical that €150m will last three full months. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

If cancelled I’m wondering if TopBonus will reinstate my points. I don’t expect so but it depends how TopBonus actually pays AirBerlin; in terms of how and at what time / date. TopBonus may actually still have my points, not AirBerlin (or the cash value they’d pay AirBerlin).
The other complication I have (and others I expect) is that IF points are reimbursed, how will they be treated if they are reinstated after the expiration date of the original points !!
ANY IDEA IF THE TRANSFR OF POINTS BETWEEN TOPBONUS AND AIRBERLIN CAN BE STOPPED ????????

Those who have paid in cash might be in a slightly better position if flights are cancelled as whilst AB won’t give you a penny you might find credit card or travel insurance will compensate you.
The issue with using points which complicates my booking is that it’s nothing to do with a credit card and I expect most (if not all) travel insurance companies won’t cover loss of points.
Therefore if I do manage to get Credit Card to refund me or Travel Insurance compensation it would only be for the taxes & fees paid (about Ł400) and not the true value of two business class flights to Curacao

There goes my gift to my Mum for her 70th Birthday of 2weeks in Curacao :-(
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by wazow
Isn't this just a summer schedule thing? SK does this at a lot of airports in summer. Destinations that they consider business-heavy are swapped for vacation resorts. Is the schedule not back to normal in September?
VIE has random schedule all year long (and no service in summer).
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:00 am

It's a shame. Prices are sure to rise on Air Berlin routes. In March we traveled with AB non-stop LAX -> DUS for a very competitive price. If Lufthansa gets a hold of the remains of this business, they will certainly raise rates and then there will remain only such dubious cut-rate operators as Turkish and Aeroflot; pity the budget traveler.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:40 am

I'm flying ORD-TXL in December. Booked with AA miles. Would it be wise to cancel my ticket at this time?

EDIT: Nevermind. I forgot that since it's AA, they'll get me to TXL somehow.

Last edited by poisson; Aug 18, 2017 at 10:03 am
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
I know TXL is bursting at the seams, and that the physical infrastructure was designed for a much smaller flow of passengers - but is the airport actually slot constrained?

Aer Lingus was able to shift its 13 weekly Dublin flights from Schonefeld in October 2015 and I didn't hear anything about slots being so difficult to acquire there.
To be honest I don't know the details. The media reports is that TXL is operating at max capacity. But if that is runway, or terminal capacity I did not really study. We are clearly not talking LHR difficult, but it may still be worth hanging on to them rather than reacquiring them.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wazow
I checked into November. Still the same... Or the app is being troublesome.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: *G, OWS
To be honest I don't know the details. The media reports is that TXL is operating at max capacity. But if that is runway, or terminal capacity I did not really study. We are clearly not talking LHR difficult, but it may still be worth hanging on to them rather than reacquiring them.
TXL is constrained since AB is using it as one of two major hubs. Most of the names mentioned as potential buyers would not be interested in continuing that, probably freeing up a lot of capacity...

Regarding the proposal for somebody to buy and mostly liquidate: that would only be feasible once AB has been through bankruptcy proceedings and gotten rid of its debt. Currently it's looking like it will be split up and sold before bankruptcy proceedings really begin 3 months after declaring insolvency.
The proceeds from those sales will then be used to satisfy all new debt created after declaring insolvency (especially the government loan)- anything remaining would be used to satisfy old debts (Ethiad, EU261,...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.