Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy

Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Originally Posted by wolf72
I would be shocked if this is true. The UK carries a sizeable load of passengers flying into Europe from Asia/Middle East and America.
Perhaps, I did not make my point clear. Of course, BA made an amazing success tunnelling pax via LHR to long haul destination. However, I believe (no data) LHR carries a negligible part of intra European traffic. This is the part where OW is extremely weak. Perhaps, this is a sound business decision on the side of IAG. I have no idea. Perhaps there is no money in short haul traffic in Europe. Somehow, however both *A and ST are really strong there.

There is no way I can make my OW status flying only long hauls. On short hauls this is too impractical. My time is too precious to suffer LHR (this is not only a detour but also one of the worst airports to connect at efficiently; frankly TXL was more efficient, with all its delays and cancellations). This simply means I go back to *A. AB was a key component of me being a OW frequent flier. I am sure a lot of DACH customers will decide the same. OW right now seems to be USA centered. AA customers still have a pretty decent setup.
Concerto and frogster like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:31 pm

Programs: *G, OWS
Originally Posted by irishguy28
You may wish to check your figures - they are completely inaccurate.

Official EU figures show the UK accounted for 232 million air passengers in 2015 - by far the largest of any of the EU28.

The UK accounts for 25% of all air passengers in the EU.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statist...ort_statistics
Interesting chart. If you read the full text though you can see that those figures include all passengers including passengers connecting in LHR. I don't think a passenger connecting in LHR has anything to do with the importance and size of the U.K. market, it simply shows that LHR is the most important international hub in Europe
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by wazow
Perhaps, I did not make my point clear. Of course, BA made an amazing success tunnelling pax via LHR to long haul destination. However, I believe (no data) LHR carries a negligible part of intra European traffic. This is the part where OW is extremely weak. Perhaps, this is a sound business decision on the side of IAG. I have no idea. Perhaps there is no money in short haul traffic in Europe. Somehow, however both *A and ST are really strong there.

There is no way I can make my OW status flying only long hauls. On short hauls this is too impractical. My time is too precious to suffer LHR (this is not only a detour but also one of the worst airports to connect at efficiently; frankly TXL was more efficient, with all its delays and cancellations). This simply means I go back to *A. AB was a key component of me being a OW frequent flier. I am sure a lot of DACH customers will decide the same. OW right now seems to be USA centered. AA customers still have a pretty decent setup.
Asia Pacific does pretty well in OW, with JL, CX, MH, and QF. Getting around over here with Oneworld is a breeze. Getting to Africa from here is also pretty easy through Doha.

I agree, Europe is going to become a very weak point for OW if/when AB is no more.
​​​
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:43 am

Topbonus shop is still offline:

"Der topbonus Prämienshop ist zurzeit nicht verfügbar."

Just called the topbonus helpline to ask them why I can't access it. They said it is planned downtime and has nothing to do with the insolvency. I also asked them whether I would lose the miles and they said no.

Thoughts? I certainly have my doubts...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Accor, IHG, LH, BAEC, DB
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The UK accounts for 25% of all air passengers in the EU.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statist...ort_statistics
No, the UK accounts for 12,5% of all international intra-EU28 traffic. (Note that in the table, the country-specific figures include double-counting, the EU28 aggregate figure does not. Hence your mistake.)
frogster likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Perhaps, I did not make my point clear. Of course, BA made an amazing success tunnelling pax via LHR to long haul destination. However, I believe (no data) LHR carries a negligible part of intra European traffic. This is the part where OW is extremely weak.
I don't understand this fixation with intra-European traffic. Yes, there are not many people flying from, say, Germany to, say, Austria via Heathrow. [Just as there are not many people flying from, say, Ireland to the UK via Germany; or Sweden to Norway via France]. But I don't understand the emphasis placed on this sort of traffic. It didn't help AB to focus on this sort of low-yield point-to-point traffic. All alliances have their weaknesses. If you want to be an alliance flyer and you live in Central Europe, you better get used to Star Alliance!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frogster
Interesting chart. If you read the full text though you can see that those figures include all passengers including passengers connecting in LHR. I don't think a passenger connecting in LHR has anything to do with the importance and size of the U.K. market, it simply shows that LHR is the most important international hub in Europe
But if you look again, you will see that the UK leads the list of "International intra-EU-28 transport", with 137.8 million passengers - fully one-third of all international (i.e. cross-border) trips made from one EU member state to another. (Spain is second with 118 million, while Germany is third with 103 million). So, one-third of all international passengers travelling within the EU depart* from the UK. (*the table below is determined by departure declarations only, to eliminate double-counting on the arrival side)

(The only metric on which the UK market lags is on domestic journeys. Here, the UK comes only 5th, behind (respectively) Spain, Italy, France and Germany)

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 16, 2017 at 1:46 am
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
This misses my point that *A is left with no alternative intra-Europe (your previous post sums it up better). This might be fine for IAG (and for *A). It is not fine for me. For a large market segment, where I also find myself, there is no real competition. LCCs don't really compete with *A on the routes and connections I fly. Perhaps this will change, but for now LCCs managed to press prices down on direct connections that I rarely use (like Paris and London). I don't think this is beneficial to air traffic in Europe. AB was (?) not a messiah saving the market, but it was working in the right place. As far as I understand the market was not really the reason for its failure; what people say here typically, it was irresponsibly taken debt. I do hope that we are left with a bit more than *A and LCCs.

PS. I fly *A more than OW, but I do believe in choice and competition. Now this will be severely limited. I expect lowering of service on *A (again) or raising of fares as a result.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is not fine for me. For a large market segment, where I also find myself, there is no real competition. LCCs don't really compete with *A on the routes and connections I fly.
Then I am sorry to hear that.

The LCCs have yet to penetrate the German (dare I say "Central European" markets) to the extent that they have in most other European countries. If airberlin is to fail, then I hope that that is something good that comes out of it - that these markets are exposed to more vigorous competition.

PS. I fly *A more than OW, but I do believe in choice and competition. Now this will be severely limited. I expect lowering of service on *A (again) or raising of fares as a result.
And this is why I hope that any proposed rescue/take-over of airberlin by Lufthansa is subjected to similar remedies that were imposed on BA when they took over bmi - the release of slot pairs at TXL, DUS and VIE, and the requirement to provide feed passengers to those other airlines that request it on a normal commercial basis.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: BA, IB, LH, U2
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
Why am I only seeing mentions of Central Europe - there's Eastern Europe, too. AB used to have 1 daily flight - although in the evening, which made connections to the US impossible without overnighting in Berlin but at least it was an option to having to book with BA - many places besides the East Coast still require an overnight in London but their fees are so high, it's a non-starter. And if you try to get anywhere in Europe, first, you have to pray that the routing is allowed, i. e. going all the way west to LHR and then to go east to your final destination, then, that you can afford to spend several hours in the air many times over what a direct flight would be. All IAG airlines are based so far west, they are useless for Eastern and Central European residents. S7 can't be viewed as quite European, although that's technically correct. So, we're left with AY, which is in a good location but has such a limited network that only suits residents of Finland. So, OW coverage of Europe is awful - it was bad enough with AB but without it, it's tragic.
There are the TXL/DUS to Spanish/Med Islands routes which Easyjet will partly replace, whether using ex-AB metal and staff, or newly bought/hired.
With BER still not ready, will they move them to SXF, or open a hub at TXL as well?
And DUS to Caribbean resorts, which I suppose might lead to Condor expansion.

It would be nice to see OpenSkies run E.g. TXL-JFK.
But I fear that if IAG does anything it will be with Level.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never mind
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by zsalya_fly

AB longhaul will probably go to Eurowings.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by rikesh
Topbonus shop is still offline:

"Der topbonus Prämienshop ist zurzeit nicht verfügbar."

Just called the topbonus helpline to ask them why I can't access it. They said it is planned downtime and has nothing to do with the insolvency. I also asked them whether I would lose the miles and they said no.

Thoughts? I certainly have my doubts...
The thing with this is TopBonus happens to be a separate company to airberlin, so there is a good chance that all miles will survive and be transferred into whatever follows. This is what happened with Qualiflyer back in the days of the Swissair bankruptcy and it was a lifesaver. However, under current rules a large chunk of my TB miles will expire at the end of this year.

Originally Posted by zsalya_fly
There are the TXL/DUS to Spanish/Med Islands routes which Easyjet will partly replace, whether using ex-AB metal and staff, or newly bought/hired.
With BER still not ready, will they move them to SXF, or open a hub at TXL as well?

Don't forget NIKI (HG) is still flying and hasn't been affected by the insolvency. They appear to have taken over the holiday routes at DUS, so I think that they are unlikely to be replaced totally by easyJet ... yet.

It would be great if another OW carrier could come and operate flights in central and east Europe. Ryanair doesn't shy away from operating flights in other countries.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:45 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Originally Posted by Flip42
AB longhaul will probably go to Eurowings.
Yeah - with talks between LH and EY/AB going on for a long time now IMO the most interesting parts of the business will be sold very soon and routes continued without any lapse from November on just under a different brand.

IMO the rumors published by Ryanair that the "sudden" insolvency might be a planned operation between EY and LH has some credibility to me. LH gets big chunks out of the AB business without taking over old debt via the insolvency state of AB.

This would be good news IMO. I just hope that fares on many new LH monopoly routes will not be skyrocketing...

On the future of topbonus: I have no idea about it...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: Some
IAG only really cares about intra-Europe flights connecting to longhaul ones because that's where most of the money is to be made; the intra-Europe point-to-point market is fiercely competitive and increasing impossible for a full service airline with a high cost base to remain competitive in. It's probably entirely logical for IAG not to focus on this market.

Of course, someone based in DACH is going to prefer a carrier that doesn't require a massive detour for them through LHR for intra-Europe flights, which is also entirely logical.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.