JFK or ORD?

Old May 9, 2017, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
JFK or ORD?

Never flown AB TATL. If I had a choice, is it better to connect in ORD or in JFK?
Old May 9, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
[deleted original comment]

Generalized guess would be ORD as I assume less international traffic in/out.

Safe travels!

Last edited by Bradhattan; May 9, 2017 at 5:22 pm Reason: Second time I read and paid attention to the real question asked and not the imaginary question to which I responded.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
What airline are you connecting to/from, what season, and what time of day? Also, what class of travel and lounge access would you have?
Old May 9, 2017, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Connecting AB to AA to a Canadian destination Sunday afternoon. Flying economy, AB platinum status.

EDIT: just found out that my ticket (found by matrix ITA) is not bookable on AB website, so I might need to go with a different option anyway, but it is interesting to learn anyways. Especially that I not only have never tried AB TATL, but also never been to JFK.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by wazow
Connecting AB to AA to a Canadian destination Sunday afternoon. Flying economy, AB platinum status.

EDIT: just found out that my ticket (found by matrix ITA) is not bookable on AB website, so I might need to go with a different option anyway, but it is interesting to learn anyways. Especially that I not only have never tried AB TATL, but also never been to JFK.
At ORD you will have to transfer terminals via train. At JFK you wouldnt. That would be the deciding factor for me.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

How about lounge facilities? And the reliability of immigration times?
Old May 10, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by wazow
How about lounge facilities? And the reliability of immigration times?
I like the Admirals clubs at JFK better but there isn't a huge difference (both airports have some AA lounge renovations going on). I generally like the layout of AAs facilities at JFK better and find it not as congested. I don't think there's any reliable difference as to immigration on a Saturday afternoon. I have connected on AB at both and didn't notice a difference.
Old May 12, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I like the Admirals clubs at JFK better but there isn't a huge difference (both airports have some AA lounge renovations going on). I generally like the layout of AAs facilities at JFK better and find it not as congested. I don't think there's any reliable difference as to immigration on a Saturday afternoon. I have connected on AB at both and didn't notice a difference.
I agree with you, Adam. AB uses the AA terminal (Terminal 8) at JFK and an AA concourse (K) at ORD, so if your connection is from AA to AB outbound, they're essentially the same. Inbound, JFK has dedicated Customs facilities at the terminal; at ORD you arrive at Terminal 5, clear customs/immigration, and then have to take the train back to the main terminal for your connection. That makes the connection coming into the U.S. easier at JFK, IMHO.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jeffhacker
I agree with you, Adam. AB uses the AA terminal (Terminal 8) at JFK and an AA concourse (K) at ORD, so if your connection is from AA to AB outbound, they're essentially the same. Inbound, JFK has dedicated Customs facilities at the terminal; at ORD you arrive at Terminal 5, clear customs/immigration, and then have to take the train back to the main terminal for your connection. That makes the connection coming into the U.S. easier at JFK, IMHO.
AB now departs Terminal 5 ORD not T3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.