Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Innovative way to solve overbooking?

Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, PC Platinum, HH Diamond, MR Silver

I was booked on AB 8047 from CPH to DUS yesterday evening. Shortly after checking in my baggage I received two text messages from AB saying that a) my flight has been canceled and b) it is delayed.

Somehow confusing - went to the local handling agent who confirmed the cancelation and booked me on AB 8041 next morning (plus hotel plus food).

Frustrating enough, I checked AB 8047 on the Internet later that evening. Guess what, it DID depart from CPH, but they changed equipment from A320 to DH8D.

As this aircraft has significantly less seats, I assume the change of equipment resulted in overbookings. I am further getting the impression that instead of forking out money to find volunteers who are willing to step back from their flight, AB randomly picked (me) and made me belive the flight was canceled.

Questions:
1) has anyone experienced a similar situation with AB? (they seem to change equipment quite frequently on that route)

2) what is the usual compensation for voluntarily stepping back from the flight on similar routes? I guess it's more that the € 250 that I will be entitled to anyway
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
It might just be a lousy IT system sending you a cancellation message at the point of offloading. It is strange though that the agent did not clarify it (perhaps the agent preferred to avoid discussion).

Whether for cancellation or overbooking, the compensation should be the same. Airlines would not offer more for voluntary stepping off, than for involuntary one.

Last edited by SK2751; Apr 19, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: ba silver
Also keep in mind that in the EU as well as to the EU on any EU based airline the airline must pay compensation for IDB's regardless of reason ' the only exceptions would be if the passenger was to blame ( intoxicated, late to gate, lack of documents) and not only due to oversales.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.